The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2018, 10:29 AM   #1
Freaky1

Luke's '65

Hello all, I just picked up a '65 LWB C10 and wanted to get some info. I've built a few other cars over the many years and have found forums to be a great source of information and advice.

This truck is going to be my son's truck when he gets his license. That is going to be in about a year and we've got a few things to address with this truck before then. The biggest and most immediate is the roof. The PO had used this truck for camping and fishing, judging by the maps and papers I found in the glovebox.

I don't know if it was because of the camper or what but the roof has rusted around the drip rails. We've looked into getting a new roof skin and replacing it but there are a few out there. I was hoping someone could offer a recommendation as I've dealt with crappy panels on other vehicles and I'd prefer to avoid that for the rest of my life.

Aside from that the truck seems pretty solid, typical rust in what seems to be the typical areas. We did find the left front fender had been dinged in the front and has been bondo'd. Given the rust at the rear of that fender it will probably just get replaced at some point.

It's got a 230 Straight 6 and since he is a new driver I think that will suit him just fine. Maybe someday we'll look to swapping that out but everything looks great in the engine compartment and we'll fire it up later today for the first time in about...I'm guessing 15 years so fingers crossed.
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2018, 01:02 PM   #2
raidmagic

Re: Luke's '65

Good looking truck. Good luck with it.
raidmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:14 PM   #3
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Welcome! I think the roof panel is repopped AMD I believe

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:20 PM   #4
andyh1956

I bet once you get that top skin off you will find more damage inside.
I just watched a boy change a roof on a '68. He cut those windshield pillars & the back right thru the center of the rear window opening. He cut the front pillars low on the donor & high on the truck he's working on. He de-laminated the pillars one skin in & out so they would overlap best way to describe how he did it. Only took him an afternoon after work & he was priming it.
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:00 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Welcome to the forum

I agree with likely finding more issues once the roof skin is removed. Sorry but I do not know how the aftermarket roof skins fit. I can't think of anyone on the forum that has used one. It seems like most of the newly released parts fit better than the early parts. The front fenders are one of those early parts that don't fit for crap.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 12:16 PM   #6
Freaky1

Thanks, I've seen a few place with them so we're jumping in hip deep and I'll update as we go. Later today we are going to fire it up for the first time in about 20 years. Already went through it the other day and everything looks good for us to fire it...but fingers crossed anyway.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:46 PM   #7
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

You don't need good luck wishes in as much as fuel and spark. Have fun and keep us updated.

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:22 PM   #8
Freaky1

One of the hot rods my dad built when I was real young had a Chrysler Slant 6 in it. I always got crap from the kids who's dads had Fords or Chevys but be damned if that car ever broke down. One of the things that drew me to this was the 230, that engine seems like a rock, something about those 6's.

Last weekend we checked it all out and tried to fire it but it wouldn't go. Checked the plugs and sure enough, no spark. Popped the distributor cap and found the rotor wasn't seated, got that and put the cap back on. Next turn of the key and bang, it fired right up.

It ran nice and we warmed it up then rev'ed it up a bit and it sounded almost like new, only the most faint traces of smoke from the exhaust. It really charged my son up to have it run that well after he did the work with some diagnostic suggestions from me.

The roof skin is hopefully being delivered today or tomorrow then we move on that. The PO noticed the rust around the drip rails and slapped a ton of sealer of some kind on it. While I can see rust under the roof skin, it looks like that sealer might have helped. I'll post a short vid of the startup soon and update on the roof situation.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:31 PM   #9
Freaky1

So we drove the truck home. We had to bunji a small gas can to the frame in the engine compartment because the stock tank smelled RIPE with crappy gas. We though maybe we could clean it out, poured 4 gallons of gas into the tank and I don't think I heard it slosh at all. Good thing we only lived just over a mile from the yard it was stored in.

Drove nice, a little bouncy but it accelerated nice, didn't pull, shifted good, and the breaks were tight. I'm pretty happy with the purchase but then again, we haven't got into the metal work yet. I need to get my '52 Henry J a little farther along then we can move the truck into the garage and get to work.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:26 AM   #10
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

Can we see more pictures? Interior , under the hood back of the truck , etc?

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:23 AM   #11
weim55

Neat original '65! Noticed the old Colorado plates show it to be from Pueblo. Never in all my years as native have I seen another 64-66 rusted like that. Maybe she started life in another part of the country (?). Good luck with the old girl and hope the rust fix isn't too bad...........

Steve weim55 Colorado
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:05 AM   #12
oem4me

That truck looks like a winner. Long ago, my entry into the truck world was also a 230 six and three on the tree. I no longer have it, but it remains a favorite.
Odd the rust got established there on the drip edge and nowhere else ... good luck with that.
I be watching for updates as you go along. Have fun!
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:21 PM   #13
Marine1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky1 View Post
Hello all, I just picked up a '65 LWB C10 and wanted to get some info. I've built a few other cars over the many years and have found forums to be a great source of information and advice.

This truck is going to be my son's truck when he gets his license. That is going to be in about a year and we've got a few things to address with this truck before then. The biggest and most immediate is the roof. The PO had used this truck for camping and fishing, judging by the maps and papers I found in the glovebox.

I don't know if it was because of the camper or what but the roof has rusted around the drip rails. We've looked into getting a new roof skin and replacing it but there are a few out there. I was hoping someone could offer a recommendation as I've dealt with crappy panels on other vehicles and I'd prefer to avoid that for the rest of my life.

Aside from that the truck seems pretty solid, typical rust in what seems to be the typical areas. We did find the left front fender had been dinged in the front and has been bondo'd. Given the rust at the rear of that fender it will probably just get replaced at some point.

It's got a 230 Straight 6 and since he is a new driver I think that will suit him just fine. Maybe someday we'll look to swapping that out but everything looks great in the engine compartment and we'll fire it up later today for the first time in about...I'm guessing 15 years so fingers crossed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Marine1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:25 PM   #14
Marine1996

I put an aftermarket roof skin on my truck I used panel bond instead of welding it haven’t had any issues so far, it fit well but I haven’t drove it yet either
Posted via Mobile Device
Marine1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:47 AM   #15
Freaky1

So, some updated pictures.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2019, 11:51 AM   #16
Freaky1

Couple questions...

Has anyone upgraded to a dual master cylinder? If so, what did you use?

I was looking to relocate the gas tank from behind the seat, is there a kit? A buddy told me I could use a mid-80s K5 gas tank. I've got no problem getting a just a tank and fabbing it in between the frame rails but would like the opinion of people who have done it before.

Here's a shot with the wheels my son bought from a friend of mine.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2019, 12:33 PM   #17
61K10

go to the 60-66 FAQ index top of page

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:22 PM   #18
Freaky1

Someday...maybe...I'll remember that, thanks for the heads up 61K10!
Old 05-06-2019, 03:24 PM   #19
61K10

a lot of info there. If you don't find what you are looking for, post up again and ask. I think a master cyl from a 67-70 should work. a bunch of gas tanks from different people are available. search function of the threads also good. have fun--------

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 11:12 AM   #20
Freaky1

So I haven't updated this in...WOW almost 2 years! Well I'd like to say all kinds of things had been done & the truck is on the road but that would be a lie.

To update on the roof, it was not nearly as bad as I thought! I get to poking around & found someone had glued another roof skin over the original. After I peeled the first skin off the orginal was rusted so I cut that off. There was rust but nothing that was even remotely very bad. It got a very thorough wire wheel & cleaned, then I painted the inside. I know I've got pictures of it with everything cut off, just before we painted it but I can't find them right now. I will get some pictures today of it painted at least.

I didn't drill any of the spot welds, I cut the roof pretty close to the edge of the drip rail and then carefully ground in the rail to remove the last bits of the roof skin. We are going to glue the new top on this weekend.

I'll post again later this weekend with some fresh pictures. I'll leave with this, after digging around elsewhere the usual rust spots on the lower half of the cab are worse than I though. But it runs good and I'm thinking once we get the roof done and few other little things fixed up I'll just sell it.
Old 06-20-2020, 05:06 PM   #21
AcampoDave

To me, lower half rust is less scary than upper cab rust. Glad it wasn't too bad in there.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:43 PM   #22
Freaky1

I couldn't find the pictures from before I painted it but here are some I took the other day just before we test fit the new roof skin. Seems like it fits pretty well, hopefully the weather will cooperate this weekend and we can get it glued on.
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2020, 01:31 AM   #23
AcampoDave

Yeah, looks good in there. I wonder if it would be a good idea to apply some Dynamat in there while you got it opened up. I'm not suggesting that you do it, but rather that it might be worth investigating the idea.
Old 06-26-2020, 04:36 PM   #24
Freaky1

AcampoDave, if I were going to keep it I absolutely would. But at this point I'm trying to keep the $ low.

I'd love to do it on my other '65, the shortbed, but I'm not cutting off a perfectly good roof for that.
Old 06-26-2020, 07:36 PM   #25
AcampoDave

I thought about that, but I'm the type who'd later decide to keep it and kick myself for not doing it.