The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-27-2020, 10:03 PM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

Knee replacements.

Have any of you had a knee replacement, and continued to be a mechanic?

Monday i got a shot of cortisone in each knee, and it took almost 3 days to have significant effect. While my pain, and trouble walking is down significantly. Plus I can get comfortable in a chair or laying around when I am awake. Being on my feet for more then 20 minutes hurts, and they "throb" a bit when I sleep because it is all I pay attention to.

The Dr. when I saw him said I may be at that point, and due to insurance I have to go with treatment before a MRI type of thing. I am going to call them Monday to push up my date for the next visit as it is driving me mad.

My job is commercial hvac, and I love it. So I am just stewing freaking out I may not have a mechanics job at all when this is done.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:47 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Knee replacements.

Dad has had both knees done...he still gets around pretty good for 86yrs old..
Mom is having her left one done next week..were hoping for a good outcome

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 12:13 AM   #3
Dead Parrot

Haven't needed it myself but several of my friends have needed it. Everyone of them after going though the procedure, has said they wished they had done it sooner. One works in a factory that makes the industrial sized AC units and he says things are better now then before the surgery. The others are retired.

The recovery time can be weeks to months so make sure your employer and savings are ok with you being out for that long.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 12:50 AM   #4
truckster

My wife has had both knees done. She doesn't have knee pain anymore unless she's on her knees. Everything else - walking, sitting, etc. is much better than it was.

Her doctor told her, "I don't tell you when to get your knees replaced, you'll tell me." When the pain became bad enough to overcome her concerns she had it done, and she's glad she did.
Old 11-28-2020, 01:31 AM   #5
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
Haven't needed it myself but several of my friends have needed it. Everyone of them after going though the procedure, has said they wished they had done it sooner. One works in a factory that makes the industrial sized AC units and he says things are better now then before the surgery. The others are retired.

The recovery time can be weeks to months so make sure your employer and savings are ok with you being out for that long.
If he can work doing that. I can atleast get another mechanics job.
Old 11-28-2020, 01:33 AM   #6
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
My wife has had both knees done. She doesn't have knee pain anymore unless she's on her knees. Everything else - walking, sitting, etc. is much better than it was.

Her doctor told her, "I don't tell you when to get your knees replaced, you'll tell me." When the pain became bad enough to overcome her concerns she had it done, and she's glad she did.
How are stairs for her?
Old 11-28-2020, 11:21 AM   #7
Greg58

My wife had both knees done around 10 years ago, at age 50. She came from a family of bad knees. After her surgery and beginning rehab she told me the deep bone on bone pain was gone, and the flesh soreness from the surgery was much more bearable!
She is doing great now, rehab was tough, but worth the effort. Stairs are no problem, her biggest fear is slipping and falling, so she is extra cautious in the winter.
She tried 2 doctors till she found one she liked, so don't be afraid to look for someone you are comfortable with. After the first knee was so succesful, she couldn't wait to schedule the other.
It is a big decision, but for our family very much worth it!

Greg
1987 Chevy Suburban 2500, Silverado, 2wd, 454, t-400
2023 Chevy Silverado LT 3500, crew cab, longbox, 4x4 Z-71 Duramax.
Greg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 03:10 PM   #8
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
How are stairs for her?
We don't have a lot of stairs, but she seems to navigate them well enough.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:23 PM   #9
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg58 View Post
My wife had both knees done around 10 years ago, at age 50. She came from a family of bad knees. After her surgery and beginning rehab she told me the deep bone on bone pain was gone, and the flesh soreness from the surgery was much more bearable!
She is doing great now, rehab was tough, but worth the effort. Stairs are no problem, her biggest fear is slipping and falling, so she is extra cautious in the winter.
She tried 2 doctors till she found one she liked, so don't be afraid to look for someone you are comfortable with. After the first knee was so succesful, she couldn't wait to schedule the other.
It is a big decision, but for our family very much worth it!

Greg
Why slipping and falling is a big fear?

Is it because of the way the joints is done?
Old 11-28-2020, 04:37 PM   #10
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Zieg, I think its alot more your state of mind after surgery...I had to have major knee surgery about 5yrs ago..not replacement...I think I was overly cautious while going up and down stairs and ladders for quite a while..more so than I needed to be..in the back of my mind I feared messing it up again..now I run up and down stairs and ladders,,,never give it a 2nd thought..
The doc told me it would take a full yr to fully recover...he was right
Meemaw had her hips and knees done when she was in her late 80s...said she wished she'd done 30yrs earlier..

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
Old 11-28-2020, 05:15 PM   #11
Ziegelsteinfaust

I don't want a surgery and a years worth recovery, but I can't go to work with the waynit is running now. I can barely walk or stand for 20 minutes before annoying amounts of pain start.

Through people I am aware of several people who had the surgery, and all of them are happy with it. It is just all of them lead lives of leisure.

Then if you watch the joint replacement commercials they are 70 years old. Having dinner, golfing, and stalking other old couples in the park. Not working what are classified as heavy industrial jobs. Or my hobbies which can be classified as such too. It is the only series of jobs I have been truly happy doing, and don't want to give it up.

So God forbid its a knee replacement, and not some other issue. Which I hope it is, but all I do is stress right now. Since I can't do much of anything. But if it is going to happen I will just ask the Dr. when and where. Then work on rehab.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:11 PM   #12
special-K
Special Order

Sounds like it's time for you to tell the doctor it's time for the replacements. From all I've heard you get your knees back, period. I know of people of all vocations getting it done. Most people I know are in the trades.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:02 PM   #13
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Sounds like it's time for you to tell the doctor it's time for the replacements. From all I've heard you get your knees back, period. I know of people of all vocations getting it done. Most people I know are in the trades.
I have to make sure it is not another issue the next visit. Which is when I should get the OK for a MRI.

Also I may have reached the point where the arthritis in my knees maybe the issue, and that may also be treated with the same surgery. But also pills, or I have some completely unrelated issues like lupus or gout.

Monday I am going to the Dr. office to push up the day of the appt if I can. Or just go for the MRI straight away.

A few months off my feet was hard enough the first time.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:56 PM   #14
Greg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
Why slipping and falling is a big fear?

Is it because of the way the joints is done?
It is part psychological, the Dr. really stresses Do Not Fall!
The danger is a fall can knock the appliance loose and you are then in for more surgery. Also you will have to live with infection risk, getting antibiotics before dental work etc.
When I mentioned that she is fine on stairs, one thing she doesn't like is inclines like a ramp. She is much more cautious using hand rails, or me, on inclines.
1987 Chevy Suburban 2500, Silverado, 2wd, 454, t-400
2023 Chevy Silverado LT 3500, crew cab, longbox, 4x4 Z-71 Duramax.
Greg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 08:01 PM   #15
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg58 View Post
It is part psychological, the Dr. really stresses Do Not Fall!
The danger is a fall can knock the appliance loose and you are then in for more surgery. Also you will have to live with infection risk, getting antibiotics before dental work etc.
When I mentioned that she is fine on stairs, one thing she doesn't like is inclines like a ramp. She is much more cautious using hand rails, or me, on inclines.
Thanks, for the info.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:42 PM   #16
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Something else that helps is a good quality set of knee pads...that helped me after surgery to help take care of my newly repaired knee..

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

Old 11-28-2020, 11:28 PM   #17
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

Im looking at this as well after the first of the year. Have went through the gambit of rooster comb injections and long acting steroids etc.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:02 PM   #18
BLT gmc

Maximize conservative modalities..pills, braces, Physical Therapy, try to obtain/maintain a healthy body weight, steroid injections and visco-supplementation. If you are not happy with all of those then consider a TKA.

TKA can be wonderful at relieving the mechanical pain of degenerative arthritis, but will have little affect on pain caused by processes outside the knee, like soft tissue inflammation. This is one reason i see patients fail the TKA, meaning still having significant pain after surgery and recovery. It is important to have a very good surgeon to make sure your pain is joint related.

Not all knee implants or techniques are created equal. We like using the median pivot type implants, Microport. We obtain a CT of your knee about one month before surgery. This CT is used for surgical planning, to create custom cutting blocks (Prophecy system). These 3-D printed blocks help intra-operative positioning of cutting guides and correcting alignment issues you may have (ie bow leg etc).

Therapy is very important after surgery to get your strength back. Most are surprised how weak they have become by modifying their activity. ICE, pain control, do not put anything under your knee (we want your knee to go straight). The surgeon will confirm your new knee will go straight while still in surgery. If people keep their knee bent, it will scar and become very difficult to get straight.

Most patients do very well. We had a butcher that was back at the cutting table within 2 weeks. Granted he was the business owner ( highly motivated) and it was only 2-4 hours/day. But was back to a normal schedule quicker than most. Also, we have seen a office worker take 12 weeks to get back to a full time desk job. Most do not like to kneel on their knee replacement. There is nothing wrong with kneeling, after fully recovered, most describe it as a odd feeling.
BLT gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:00 PM   #19
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT gmc View Post
Maximize conservative modalities..pills, braces, Physical Therapy, try to obtain/maintain a healthy body weight, steroid injections and visco-supplementation. If you are not happy with all of those then consider a TKA.

TKA can be wonderful at relieving the mechanical pain of degenerative arthritis, but will have little affect on pain caused by processes outside the knee, like soft tissue inflammation. This is one reason i see patients fail the TKA, meaning still having significant pain after surgery and recovery. It is important to have a very good surgeon to make sure your pain is joint related.

Not all knee implants or techniques are created equal. We like using the median pivot type implants, Microport. We obtain a CT of your knee about one month before surgery. This CT is used for surgical planning, to create custom cutting blocks (Prophecy system). These 3-D printed blocks help intra-operative positioning of cutting guides and correcting alignment issues you may have (ie bow leg etc).

Therapy is very important after surgery to get your strength back. Most are surprised how weak they have become by modifying their activity. ICE, pain control, do not put anything under your knee (we want your knee to go straight). The surgeon will confirm your new knee will go straight while still in surgery. If people keep their knee bent, it will scar and become very difficult to get straight.

Most patients do very well. We had a butcher that was back at the cutting table within 2 weeks. Granted he was the business owner ( highly motivated) and it was only 2-4 hours/day. But was back to a normal schedule quicker than most. Also, we have seen a office worker take 12 weeks to get back to a full time desk job. Most do not like to kneel on their knee replacement. There is nothing wrong with kneeling, after fully recovered, most describe it as a odd feeling.
I am hoping there is something I can do in the first paragraph range.

Although there are personal advantages to doing it now. If that is a option besides my just freaking out about it, and going over in ny head the Dr. conversation.
Old 11-30-2020, 01:04 PM   #20
Rich84

My Mom has had a knee replacement. It did not go well for her. She failed to rehab properly and still suffers with it today. She is a bit of a princess and doesn't tolerate pain well. You cannot let the scar tissue take over.
One of my employees had one and was able to return to his job as a drywall finisher.
He was very dedicated during the rehab process.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 04:28 PM   #21
mongocanfly
Post Whore

What Rich said...how you take care of it after the surgery is one of the most important steps

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

Old 11-30-2020, 11:52 PM   #22
LS short box

My brother lives in Montana and I live in MN. We are close hunting buddies. I typically make two trips out to MT hunting pheasants in early October and then deer and elk in mid November.
About 10 years ago I noticed my brother had a hitch in his step. We are spot and stalk guys. My brother and I made a number of 2 mile stalks up and down some pretty steep stuff.
About 5 years ago we were on a really nice muley buck and my brother said your are going to have to this one by your self. I was shocked and asked him why and he said every time he puts his foot down it's like needles in his right knee.
Long story short he had complete knee replacement 2 years ago and its amazing. He out walked me on a stalk last year.
It really worked well for him.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:34 AM   #23
Ziegelsteinfaust

Thats cool. I really like rough country hikes.

Does the cold bother him? Or has it gotten better since the surgery?

Today after a weekend of annoying pain I went to the Dr. to cry to get my next appointment moved up to this Thursday as I can not wait 2 more weeks.

Thanks guys for the news of people you know. Because I can not live a sedentary job or life. Hopefully I will be able to keep my job, but worst case I will be able to get another mechanics job.

I am still hoping I have a arthritis issue or some other treatable issue with medication at this point.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:07 PM   #24
LS short box

I don't know about the cold bothering him but I never asked. I didn't do the MT hunt this year due to the China virus. But last year he didn't say anything. We were very lucky to ambush a couple of really nice muley's within a 1/2 mile of the road.
I hope you have good luck if you move forward with the operation.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:59 AM   #25
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
I don't know about the cold bothering him but I never asked. I didn't do the MT hunt this year due to the China virus. But last year he didn't say anything. We were very lucky to ambush a couple of really nice muley's within a 1/2 mile of the road.
I hope you have good luck if you move forward with the operation.
Thanks for you concern.