The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-06-2023, 06:07 PM   #1
Hook'em

Issues opening driver door

I need to address an issue with my driver's door. Opens fine from the outside. All too often, I have to put my shoulder into it to open from the inside. Pull up on the door handle and it stays up.

I'm sure I could diagnose if I pulled it apart, but I'd like to have replacement parts in hand as it's my daily driver.

Any ideas of which part or parts are broken or overly worn in this situation?
Old 01-06-2023, 08:05 PM   #2
HotWheelsFan

Re: Issues opening driver door

It might be the inside door handle actuator (behind the handle and door panel) that pulls the rod that connects to the door latch assembly. I have seen GM actuators wear within the assembly itself causing less travel of the actuating rod to the latch.

Simply removing the handle and door panel, you would be able to see if it indeed worn as mentioned. A few drops of oil should at least help...

I would imagine if it is worn as mentioned, you should feel the binding right behind the handle and a rough feeling at the pivot when lifting the handle from the inside.

Bob
HotWheelsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 11:39 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
There is a flat coil spring in the door remote. If the handle doesn't return, the spring is broken. You will have to replace the remote.

I would also replace the latch. Either with a good used one or aftermarket. I don't know anything about the quality of the aftermarket ones. Maybe someone that has used them will chime in....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 10:28 AM   #4
LNP

Another thing to check since you have to shoulder the door to open it is the door hinges. Partially open the door then lift upward with it. See if theres movement with the door seperate of the truck itself. A bad door hinge can make the door drag along the latch piece attached to the cab. Opening the door from the outside you can easily be pulling up as you pull towards yourself when opening the door and not notice a drag. As stated you do need a inside door handle but sounds like you got something else going on as well.

1969 Chevy C-10 Long Bed, 350cid, 700R4
LNP is offline   Reply With Quote