The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-11-2020, 12:55 PM   #1
Starwood

SOS: Crate Swap Issues

So, in the red zone of a 350/290 crate swap in my 64. Its been a humbling experience and not sure I’d do it again, but I kinda feel like its a rite of passage for someone who loves classics as much as I do.

A little help if you have a minute?

Q#1: I took many pics, tagged and bagged, but a couple things didnt make it to the reassembly chapter. Can anyone confirm what this metal line IS and where it connects? I suspect its an oil pressure line, but it wont reach the pressure hole by the filter, and it doesnt make it to any thread size on the intake. Stumped.

Q#2: When I tried for her first start yesterday, it didnt make it. I have some revisiting to do on TDC and prob messed up firing order but that’s not my biggest concern. LOTS of oil came out from the back of the block. It never turned over and this was just from the cranking effort.

Q#3: Is oil leak related to the mystery line? If not, what would be the primary suspects on oil leakage in the cranking stage? Bad seal on intake? Distributor not seated properly?

Thanks tons in advance. I truly the value the great advice I’ve received on this board over the years.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Starwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 12:59 PM   #2
CarolinaHD

Re: SOS: Crate Swap Issues

The oil is coming out of the hole where the gauge should be connected to. Should be a npt pipe thread hole just beside the distributor toward the driver side. A quick google search will net you more info and pics
1967 C60 366ci Fire truck
CarolinaHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 01:32 PM   #3
Starwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaHD View Post
The oil is coming out of the hole where the gauge should be connected to. Should be a npt pipe thread hole just beside the distributor toward the driver side. A quick google search will net you more info and pics
Thanks. The reason I couldn't find the hole? It was covered with some overflow sealant on the intake job. I did a quick oil prime and saw the oil flow up and thought another manifold gasket job was in view...then a closer look revealed it was under the goop haha. Thanks again.
2003 Anniversary Road King Classic
Starwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 01:36 PM   #4
geezer#99

You could be right about the need for another intake gasket job.
If you got that much goop squeezed out just gotta wonder how much is squeezed inside.
If it breaks off and gets in your oil pump screen you soon won’t have a motor.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:10 PM   #5
garyd1961

You may have the timing 180 degrees off. You need to make sure #1 is on the compression stroke top dead center. Then the rotor should be pointing at the #1 wire on your distributor cap.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote