The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2003, 11:42 AM   #26
1969 GMC

I think that Chevy big blocks are probably VERY hard to find in junkyards, seeing as how BIGGER=Better. Now that they're all tapped out, the Caddy 500/472/425 are catching on. Caddy parts might be harder to find, but more and more people are doing Caddy swaps now, and parts availability can only get better.
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 04:00 PM   #27
steelsoldiers

Update on an old post. Shortly after my last post in '02 I found a 500 in a junkyard for a good price and brought it home. It was a runner, but it was leaking oil in a few places so I decided to give it some new gaskets. I pulled the valve covers off and found all of the valve seals had crumbled to bits, so I decided to pull the heads and freshen them up. I pulled the oil pan and the bottom end looked real tight so I left it alone. After I got the engine back together I borrowed some manpower and a tractor with a bucket to yank the diesel and set in the Caddy.

The tranny bolted right up with an adapter, the engine mount extensions were a bit of a PITA, the wiring was easy, and everything else went fairly smooth. I rebuilt the old q-jet in my living room, but it was too far gone, so I bought a 670 holley truck avenger, but it was too small and killed the top end. So I sent it back and traded up to a 850 RPM q-jet which really made it move.

The most problems I had with the whole project were not because of the swap, they were because of the motor I selected. It was a good deal for a reason. It was just a mess. I should have heald out for a low mile running car instead of a junkyard engine, oh well.

The K5 was a LOT of fun to drive with the 500. I had a blast ripping around Memphis, burning tires, spanking imports, etc...

The big nightmare occured on the way from Memphis to WV when I was moving. My bother-in-law was in the Caddy Blazer and I was driving the moving truck. He said it started losing power, then it got hot, then the oil light came on and he pulled over. I lost the oil pump!! That totally FUBARed the bottom end and my K5 sat at a friend's house until I could pay another friend to haul it home for me. 4 months later I got it home.

I yanked the Caddy out, put a new injection pump and gear drive on the 6.2L and put it back in the K5. I have been driving it like that without problem 1 since 2/03. The 500 is still sitting in my garage waiting to be redone. I'm going to totally redo it next year and put it in something sick, like an El Camino or something and go kick all the high school kids' a$$es at the stop light.

What a freaking adventure huh? Next time I swap an engine it's going to be a low mile runner or a rebuild.

1984 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer w/ Caddy 500 big-block and a 1970 M35A2 2.5-ton 6x6 cargo truck w/ 478ci multi-fuel straight-six engine. Both in desert tan CARC paint from Operation Desert Storm.

steelsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 05:24 PM   #28
Earl Junior
Cadillac power

Sanderson is making headers for the 500 now. $250 for plain steel and $450 for ceramic coated. Guess what I got for Christmas!!!

Silver ceramic is so pretty.
Just for the record, if I'm down to my last potato, I'm not sharing it with a guy who wants to kill me so he can get a better supply of virgins in paradise. That lesson is a little thing I call Economics 101, infidel style.

--Scott Adams author of Dilbert
Earl Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 07:08 PM   #29
dinnut

wow this thread is old! hope that 500 is a beast when you reinstall it... the best of luck to you!
Old 01-08-2004, 11:12 PM   #30
IoWnZa
Big Block Blazer

That sounds liek a lot of fun, I know that when I had my M1009, I loved it to death, 150HP or pure Fury, but let me tell you, there was no place that she wouldn't go, and she would turn those 4 tires in the muckiest of mud.

I loved it to death, but a 22 Wheeler didn't

As for the Blazer I have now, the 454 is a nice touch, it is fun to smoke all 4 tires, I've done that once since I've had it, just to make sure that it can, and she will.

As for putting that 500 Caddy in there, have fun. I wouldn't use a Caddy Motor but that is just me, they are Torque Monster's though if you build them up right, and they do cost a bit more, but have fun with it, and make that ol' Blazer go.

This Blazer originally had a 305 with a TH700R4 Tranny, Let's just say that she is a bit better now. New Front End, Rear End, Tranny, Engine, Interior, Exterior (Except door's and tailgate) new everything, frame up restoration, and 46k miles on it all, besides the Rear End, just got that bad boy in there a month ago.

/IoWnZa
[1985 Chevrolet K5 Blazer][454BBC][TH400][NP241][Dana 44][GM 12 Bolt w/ Eaton LSD][Hedman HTC Hedders][Dual 2.5" Stainless Steel Exhaust][Hedman Turbo Muffler's][Dual Spal's 14" Electric Fan's][32x11.50R15 BF Goodrich All Terrain TA KO's on 15x8 Rallys]

Last edited by IoWnZa; 01-08-2004 at 11:16 PM.
IoWnZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 01:55 AM   #31
dmoss69

Caddy powered truck

I have a caddy powered C10 for sale if yall know someone that wants it for $3000.

This thing is a beast to drive.

I have another thread on this website with the pictures in it if you do a search with my name: dmoss69

Thanks

David Moss

several others.....
dmoss69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 02:44 PM   #32
FPChickey

I have a 500 Cad engine and a 72 SWB Chevy. Where could I buy the adapter plate to connect the Cad engine to the Chevy trans?
FPChickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 04:58 PM   #33
FPChickey

see http://www.500cid.com/mts/Rides/index.htm
FPChickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 12:53 AM   #34
jeffspower
Well, Whoop-dee-do!

500's go in '73-up 2wds very easy. You need to beat the firewall to floor lip flush on the driver's side. Use the mid-sump pan & tube off a '77-up 425. Or better yet, the rear sump Eldo pan & tube. I make BOLT-IN motor mount plates for this combo. They use 425 mounts & brackets. NO drilling, cutting or butchering needed. $50. They put the engine where it belongs- not too high or low.

'73-up 4wds need the same work at the firewall. The existing engine crossmember does not work worth a damn, It will look cobbled no matter how you do it. I build a new crossmember for this setup. Uses rwd 500 mounts. $175. You will need to drill 4 holes in the frame. Also puts the engine where it belongs.

Don't pay attention to the horror stories of torchin' & butcherin'. There is no need to do it on these trucks. If thought out & done properly, It will look damn near like a factory install!
jeffspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:07 AM   #35
lukey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffspower View Post
500's go in '73-up 2wds very easy. You need to beat the firewall to floor lip flush on the driver's side. Use the mid-sump pan & tube off a '77-up 425. Or better yet, the rear sump Eldo pan & tube. I make BOLT-IN motor mount plates for this combo. They use 425 mounts & brackets. NO drilling, cutting or butchering needed. $50. They put the engine where it belongs- not too high or low.

'73-up 4wds need the same work at the firewall. The existing engine crossmember does not work worth a damn, It will look cobbled no matter how you do it. I build a new crossmember for this setup. Uses rwd 500 mounts. $175. You will need to drill 4 holes in the frame. Also puts the engine where it belongs.

Don't pay attention to the horror stories of torchin' & butcherin'. There is no need to do it on these trucks. If thought out & done properly, It will look damn near like a factory install!

Im aware this thread is 15 years old, but dang what some bad info...I done this swap (500 cad) into an 81 k10 4 wheel drive when I was 18 years old and it was the easiest swap ever. Remove 305/th350, move frame mounts from side to side (left to right, right to left) use rear frame rivet hole in the front motor mount hole. Cut a slot in the frame mount for the eldo motor mount down blolt to slide into), I used an Oldsmobile th350 trans. When I rebuilt it we used the output shaft from the 4wd Chevy trans so the tcase fit. And bolted everything in place. Swap literally took a weekend. Only wire I had to mess with was the starter is on other side and lengthen the distributor wire. No firewall massaging, no crossmember hacking. Did have to trim 1/2” out of right frame rail for cad exhaust manifolds to clear. I ran the mid sump pan with no clearance issues. Oil filter and adapter even cleared fine with no trouble.
4.10 gears, 33” tires and pulled an average of 14mpg. Daily drove it for 3 years then swapped the entire 4wd system and motor into a 70 c10. Drove that one for 2 years before selling it. It really can be a bolt in swap that looks factory if you take the time to plan it out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by lukey; 10-14-2020 at 06:28 AM.
lukey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 07:24 AM   #36
cadillac_al

Re: Caddy 500 big block Blazer 4x4 swap

Thanks Lukey, I have been dreaming of this swap for about 15 years. I may be 1 or 2 years away from doing it now.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:04 AM   #37
geezer#99

Re: Caddy 500 big block Blazer 4x4 swap

Don’t wait al!
A year from now you could be hitching your mule to the wagon to go to town for supplies!
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote