The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #76
Cheeseman

Re: Project "Home Wrecker"

My wifes family is from Newtown/Harris. I farm some of the bottoms between Newtwon and Harris. Small world! What is your family's name? Chances are I have heard of them

Low Elco, I wont be up and running by that time, but want to make sure to make it next year. I may try and make it just to check things out without my rig. Body shop just called a bit ago to confirm the meeting time for the rollback...I am as excited a a little kid a Christmas!!

Cheese "hoping for a great harvest to make $$$$ to tie this up!" Man
Old 08-19-2013, 01:01 PM   #77
Low Elco

Hell, bring it on the trailer, everybody'd love it. If all works well, I'm bringing another member's truck in the same fashion. Gives folks something to look at, There's dozens of nice, assembled trucks! When you come in, we're usually off to the left. Harvest looks pretty good so far, how far out are you on bringing it in? How many acres do you run?
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:30 AM   #78
Cheeseman

I honestly never thought about trailering it down. I suppose I may consider doing something like that if it is not out of the norm and poeple wouldnt be like "look at that goofball that trailered a nonrunning POS down here" haha! I am thinking that we wont be running harvest crews until early October.....which is good b/c I have to switch dump beds on of the the old grain trucks over to a newer truck (which I have not even started the project ) I farm with my in-laws and all the ground that we own and rent is close to 3000 acres. Mainly all cattle and row crop with a bit in CRP. We also have 2 2400 head hog barns that always smell like money!

stay tuned, I have a couple teaser pics of the cab being installed!

Cheese "photobucket, here I come!" Man
Old 08-20-2013, 09:05 AM   #79
Low Elco

Bring it on, people dig it, especially in our little corner. The more the merrier!

Hog barns-now THAT is an unforgettable money smell!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #80
abebummy26

Last name is Bumgarner, Related to the Reed's, Thompson's (by marriage), Crum, Clem. A bunch of other last names I can't remember.

1987 GMC S15 (soon to be a chevy clone)
2.5l, 4 speed, no ps, no pb, no ac

Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

Spoken by Cletus the hillbilly
I like stickers... a whole bunch.
abebummy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:42 AM   #81
Cheeseman

Finally the day has come that we are putting the sheet metal on this thing! The rollback was right on time yesterday and they wasted no time getting things secured and off to the body shop. I showed up right as they had rolled the truck into the body shop and no time was wasted. I barely had time to get these pics! We had the cab mounts set in place and the cab installed in about 30 minutes. I had overlooked the obvious when getting the new door rubbers and forgot the weather strip adhesive...so that delayed getting the doors mounted up and fit correctly. The shop ended up ordering some adhesive in black just in case there was any that showed, we did not want that mustard yellow showing. The doors should be installed today and they are going to deliver it back to my shop later today as well, and then pick up my front clip items and start on them. The pics are poor quality cell phone pics, but you will get the just of it. The color is black with the matte clear on it. Lots of body shop dust on ity so it gives the illusion of waves and dents, but rest assured it is nice and smooth Hope to have pics of it at home tonight with the doors on it. I am also about convinced to do the brothers 1 piece windows in this as well...jury is still out.

Cheese "Back in Black" Man
Old 08-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #82
Cheeseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by abebummy26 View Post
Last name is Bumgarner, Related to the Reed's, Thompson's (by marriage), Crum, Clem. A bunch of other last names I can't remember.
It is a small world my friend! My wife's best friend is a Reed (now married to a Valentine) and the Clems were my wifes familys neighbor/best friends. We (the family) actually bought Veldon Clem's grass farm after he passed a few years ago. All are good people.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #83
Low Elco

Is this in prime, or are you running with flat black? Looks good regardless!
Old 08-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #84
Cheeseman

It is hard to tell in the pic but it is flat black with the matte clear coat on it. The dust in the body shop is very deceiving in the photos. I am going to go with the 20x8 & 20x10 Boss 338's with the machined inners and polished lip and brushed /machined look grill rings and headlight buckets...everything else is pretty much matte black. I have been in contact with a local upholstery shop and thinking about a primarliy black bench seat with some black and white hounds tooth inlays.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #85
Cheeseman

A few minutes ago I decided to pull the trigger on a set of Hooker block hugger shorties and the needed fuel line items to get this ting that much closer to firing up. Now to get the computer and harness back and we will hopefully bring this thing to life!

Cheese "momma wont be happy" Man
Old 08-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #86
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

Looks great man. LOL @ momma wont be happy! Its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
STOCKISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #87
abebummy26

Watson too, I think most of them were down towards Browning though I'm not sure. A bunch of my dad's family is buried out in what used to be Judson if you know where that was.

1987 GMC S15 (soon to be a chevy clone)
2.5l, 4 speed, no ps, no pb, no ac

Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

Spoken by Cletus the hillbilly
I like stickers... a whole bunch.
abebummy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #88
knomadd

It's looking good! Get them doors on yet?

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:20 AM   #89
El Campo

Love your detailed descriptions of everything! Makes it so much better in my opinion. Following along on this one. I like it.
Posted via Mobile Device
72 Chevy SWB: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486626 (Attempt/Mistake #2)
2003 Harley Davidson Dyna Superglide with 2007 Street Bob front end
2000 Ford F350 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB, 310,000 miles running great (STOLEN St. Patricks Day 2014 AND NEVER RECOVERED)
2002 Ford F250 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB (To replace stolen one)
Hook em Horns!!!
El Campo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #90
Cheeseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
It's looking good! Get them doors on yet?
I hope they do, I went by yesterday afternoon and the shop owner was out on a tow call and was behind, so I was hoping that they got everything tied up last night. I am going to run by this afternoon to see the progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Campo View Post
Love your detailed descriptions of everything! Makes it so much better in my opinion. Following along on this one. I like it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks, I know that I have spent countless hours scouring the web for info that is not overly detailed or a search feature turns back a bunch of useless info. I have part numbers for most all items I have used as well, so it will make for a complete build sheet once project is completed. This site has been a HUGE help for info and tech items that has really help with this build.

Cheese "long ways to go, and a short time to get there" Man
Old 08-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #91
67cheby
67cheby

nice setup on the tank and fuel pump ! These LS swaps are getting so common that before long If anyone sees a 350 in these trucks they are going to think it is the swap ! LOL ! I am currently doing my first LS swap
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:43 AM   #92
Cheeseman

Body shop said the truck is slated to be delivered this afternoon and I just checked my tracking numbers and UPS is delivering the fuel lines and supplies as well as the manifolds. I hope that all goes as planned and I can start on installing those items in the coming days. I have had a tractor torn down for a complete overhaul for months and I am just a few hours from having it all back together, so I probably should complete that project To add fuel to the fire, my wife plowed a deer in one of our Toyota chore trucks last night....like I wanted to spend more money this week, dosent she understand that I have a hotrod to build here??! haha!

Cheese "always something" Man
Old 08-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #93
knomadd

Sorry to hear about the 'yota, but that's good news about Home Wrecker. Keep up the good work!

C/10 Club Texas member
Old 08-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #94
Low Elco

It ain't easy.. Bein' Cheesy. Git ta work!
Old 08-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #95
Cheeseman

I am about to my limit with delays...the body shop has had it since monday and still dont have the doors mounted up correctly. Both doors are on it but they are not lining up right. So they just needed to step away from it for a few days to try and figure out why things are not lining up. I hope to have it back sometime next week.

I received all my fuel line stuff yesterday and it all appears to be there, but wont know how it all will work until I get the truck back. My new Hooker LS headers did not fit, so I have contacted CPP and they are shipping me a set of the new low profile motor mount stands to replace my CPP tubular ones that I thought were going to work. I am hoping that the new stands will clear the headers and I will be ready to tie that part of the build up. It has been a few weeks of nothing but setbacks and excess spending. So, the project will be on hold for a few weeks until we get it back and I can stand to mess with it.

Cheese "burnt out" Man
Old 08-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #96
knomadd

Don't give up hope. Take a few days off and come back to it. You'll be able to get through it.

C/10 Club Texas member
Old 09-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #97
Cheeseman

Well, after taking a few days away form this, we came back and took another swing. I got the truck back to my shop with the doors installed, but they need some adjustments to be right.

We ran into some problems with the fitment/clearance of the headers and the CPP tubular mounts. I spoke with CPP JEFF from here and he took care of me and I ended up purchasing a set of the sheet metal mounts. We installed those this afternoon and they turned out very nicely. Once installed, the Hooker LS headers fit and cleared perfectly. It even allows for the use of the original oil dip stick. Here are a couple pics of the mounts, headers and the fit. I am very happy with todays progress.

that is it for today, we are going to work on the fuel lines and tank install this week......stay tuned!

Cheese "seeing progress" Man
Old 09-02-2013, 05:14 AM   #98
Xeen

Very nice.
Those sheetmetal perches definately solve a ton of problems, infact I'm getting ready to change my tubular perches to the sheetmetal perches on the 3rd.
I'm glad it worked out for you.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #99
Cheeseman

The only problem I ran into switching out the mounts was that the tubular ones have the mounting stud in the bottom and I had to jack the motor up high enough to get it to clear the removal of those mounts. I had to jack the cab up a few inches to give enough room for the motor to come up without crushing into the bottom of the cab. Not a big deal at this stage of my build bc the cab was empty and no steering or linkages to deal with at this time. I scratched the hell out of my tubular mounts during install/removal, but I am thinking about blasting them and repainting before resale. I am going to mock up the core support and front fenders today so that we can get the doors adjusted a bit more accurate.

Cheese "still cheezin'" Man
Old 09-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #100
Xeen

Yeah I could see how those studs could cause a problem if you don't pull the engine out first.
I plan on removing the engine, pulling the tubular perches, then installing the sheetmetal perches and sitting the engine back in.
The only reason I'm doing mine that way is because I'm moving the engine 2" towards the firewall and I'm going to have to drill holes in the crossmember and frame rails.