The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
Sp8cemanSp1ff

'71 C10 with '79 350

My '71 C10 has a 350 from a '79 in it. The truck originally had the four-season A/C system, but when PO replaced the engine, he left off the A/C compressor and put the alternator on the passenger side instead. The short '71 water pump doesn't fit the block (my first hint it wasn't the original engine) so I'm using the long water pump for the '79 engine.

Living in North Texas, I need to get an A/C put back on this thing soon, but first I need to move the alternator to the driver side. My problem is that most of the brackets I can find for the driver side alternator specify "short water pump only". Is there a way to move the alternator to the driver side and still have all the pulleys line up?
Sp8cemanSp1ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: '71 C10 with '79 350

The way I see it is your going to pick a part for a set up. Or at least the rest of one.

Square bodies have the AC compressor on the driver side, at least everyone I have seen is. So you could grab the rest of the square body AC system, and go for it.

You could swap in a TBI accesory set-up, and enjoy the serpentine belt. With the efficiencies it offers. The Vortec set up is a bit more compact, but cut's into the valve cover. Which could be a problem if you want roller rocker I imagine.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:00 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

There is absolutely no reason a short water pump won't fit a '79 small block. You can convert to a short water pump, but you will have to remove the '79 timing tab from the timing chain cover. Then you will need to move the TDC mark on the balancer, so that it lines up with a bolt on timing tab.

You can not mix and match brackets and pulleys between the short pump and the long pump.

Since you currently have the long water pump, why not just get the AC compressor and brackets for the long pump?

If you just want to have the alternator on the drivers side, most of the serpentine style accessory drives, have the alternator on the drivers side. But you will want to be sure to change your water pump to the correct one for the serpentine drive, as they are reverse rotation.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
Sp8cemanSp1ff

Thanks for the recommendations. Since I can get the full A/C system for the '71, keeping the compressor on the passenger side makes sense to me. I think I'll try to find brackets for the long pump, or maybe the serpentine setup and reverse pump. Any vendor recommendations on the serpentine?
Old 05-21-2013, 12:14 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

If you want to use the original AC compressor and brackets, then you will have to change back to a short water pump and the correct brackets and pulleys for the alternator and power steering. The original '67-'72 brackets and pulleys are not hard to come by. Have you checked in the 67-72 classifieds here on the forum?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:17 AM   #6
Sp8cemanSp1ff

Thanks again, Captainfab. That also makes a lot of sense, and it would look the most original for the truck. I'll take a glance and see what I can find.

I've also found out that classic auto air can sell the full a/c replacement kit with the compressor on the driver side. That would look less original, but might be less effort overall. I think I have a lot of options to consider now.. time to go do some thinking, and quickly before the weather gets much hotter. My 2/60 air conditioner won't be good for very long.

Thanks again for the recommendations!
Old 05-21-2013, 12:00 PM   #7
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

If you're not concerned about original look the best thing to do is to use aftermarket mounting brackets and pulleys. Alan Grove is one that has multiple applications to just about suit any configuration. If you were to call them, they'd more than likely fix you up with brackts and pulleys.

The alternative is to spend hours trying to line everything up unless you are very lucky or get all the components from a completely untouched engine and remove all the parts from the timing chain cover forward including all belts regardless of condition.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote