The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Product Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2004, 10:35 PM   #1
shuttermutt
Don't say "Oops!", Doctor

US Wheel steel wheels

Hey folks! This is a dual review of sorts. I bought 4 US Wheel Modular 90 steel wheels from Summit Racing. As promised, here's the review...

Summit Racing
Okay, we all know about Summit. I just wanted to affirm that they kick ass! This was my first purchase through Summit and it went like a dream. They shipped my wheels, center caps, and lug nuts the same day of the order and it all arrived on time and packed very carefully.

As a side note, I was quite pleased with the 24 close-end acorn 7/16 chrome lug nuts that I bought. They're the Summit store brand and at $3.95 for 4, they're a good deal, IMHO.

US Wheel Modular 90
I bought four 16X8 in a 6 on 5.5 pattern. The Modular 90 are essentially a steel version of the popular Outlaw style.

Here's a picture (I got the white ones)...

PRICE: A
I paid $49 per wheel from Summit and an extra $4.95 per center cap. Personally, I think that's a pretty good deal.

QUALITY: B+
First off, these are pretty substantial wheels. The steel is a lot thicker than I thought it would be. They're considerably thicker than a GM rally wheel. I'm guessing about .25 inch thick or so. The upside is that they're bound to be durable. The downside is that they're heavy as all hell.

If you see a picture of these wheels, you'll notice they're a simulated modular wheel (hence the name) and they have black "rivets" around the diameter. These are actual metal and NOT plastic. I was pleased.

FIT: A
The fit couldn't be any better. Mine went on like a dream with zero modifications or clearance problems. The only reason they didn't score an A+ is because the design is lug-weighted (meaning that the weight of the truck is carried by the lug and isn't assisted by the hub). Note that this is NOT a significant problem in my opinion.

FINISH: B
The finish appears to be a white powder coating. If it's not powder coated then it's a pretty high quality enamel. My only complaint is that there were some blemishes along the outer rim. I believe this may have been manufacturing related since it appears the blemishes were painted over.

The centercaps (to my surprise) were chromed metal. Given the $4.95 price tag, I expected plastic. The US Wheel name is stamped on the front and looks good. The chrome is pretty nice quality and they fit in the wheel perfectly.

OVERALL: B+
The perfect wheel would be a set of mint condition rallys with center caps and trim rings for $10 a pop. Or perhaps a set of 17-inch polished Centerlines for $50 each. Since those deals basically don't exist, I can easily recommend the US Wheel Modular 90 for anyone that wants a great-looking, durable, and inexpensive wheel.
1967 C10 SWB: Claimed when Bumpster didn't put it on his list
shuttermutt is offline   Reply With Quote