The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2021, 09:23 PM   #1
lilredfifty

Posies super sliders

I'm thinking about putting them in my 50 GMC. I have a 78 Camaro front clip that rides nice but the original rear springs seem pretty stiff. Ford 9 inch rear. Anyone else used them? How's the ride?
lilredfifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:07 PM   #2
MiraclePieCo

Re: Posies super sliders

I think FAKKY is running them on his panel truck; maybe he'll get on here and answer.

I've always avoided them because I don't like the non-original look of the slider button bumps. Yeah, I know it's a non-issue if your springs are hidden underneath.

Other options are inserting the teflon liners between each leaf, or buying Speedway springs with the hidden slider buttons.

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 01-31-2021 at 10:48 PM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:47 PM   #3
lilredfifty

I had the same thoughts. I wondered how a good cleaning up and adding liners would help the ride. I also would like to lower the truck 2 inches. Maybe remove a few springs? I don't really care for lowering blocks.

Last edited by lilredfifty; 01-31-2021 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Added more text
Old 01-31-2021, 11:03 PM   #4
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredfifty View Post
I had the same thoughts. I wondered how a good cleaning up and adding liners would help the ride. I also would like to lower the truck 2 inches. Maybe remove a few springs? I don't really care for lowering blocks.
I often remove a few leaves to lower a vehicle and soften the ride.

Here's a pic of the Speedway polyurethane buttons you can install in stock springs:
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2021, 11:37 PM   #5
lilredfifty

Hey, Miracle Pie thanks for the info. Sounds like a plan I knew speedway had the liners but i didn't know they sold the buttons. Here's a picture of what I am working on. I bought this truck when I was 16, and I turn 60 next month. A life of nothing but good memories.
Attached Images

Last edited by lilredfifty; 01-31-2021 at 11:39 PM. Reason: correction
Old 02-01-2021, 11:54 AM   #6
jwhotrod

i dont know about the truck usage but they are very well thought of in the streetrod community. I know of 4 or 5 mid 30s cars around me with Posies springs in them. After long term usage everybody is still very happy with them.
jwhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 09:54 AM   #7
Katrina/10

Nice truck, I have a 51 GMC I bought when I was 16.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:20 PM   #8
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
I often remove a few leaves to lower a vehicle and soften the ride.

Here's a pic of the Speedway polyurethane buttons you can install in stock springs:
Do you have to drill holes in the leaves for the locating tab they see to have? And since leaf springs are hardened steel, isn't that QUITE a job?

In the years before super sliders or Teflon strips between the leaves I heard guys say to grind a bevel on the leading edge of each leaf so it can slide without resistance on the one below. Also, clean the leafs immaculately, even sand them and the apply a generous amount of axle grease between each.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 12:53 PM   #9
1project2many

Yes, you have to drill holes for that type of tip inserts. I have done this job before. A spring shop would typically use a punch to make holes but drilling spring leaves can be easy. Drill a pilot hole with a 1/8" or smaller bit. This part usually goes pretty quickly. Then follow up with a carbide tipped masonry bit at slow speed. And that's where the challenge comes in. Slow speed for a 3/8" bit would be about 200 rpm! Any faster and you'll be repeatedly sharpening the bit.

Years ago it was important to put grease between the leaves of a spring. Today spring companies say the materials used in modern grease can actually erode a spring. How would a person check this??

Last edited by 1project2many; 02-08-2021 at 02:08 PM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 03:25 PM   #10
lilredfifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
Yes, you have to drill holes for that type of tip inserts. I have done this job before. A spring shop would typically use a punch to make holes but drilling spring leaves can be easy. Drill a pilot hole with a 1/8" or smaller bit. This part usually goes pretty quickly. Then follow up with a carbide tipped masonry bit at slow speed. And that's where the challenge comes in. Slow speed for a 3/8" bit would be about 200 rpm! Any faster and you'll be repeatedly sharpening the bit.

Years ago it was important to put grease between the leaves of a spring. Today spring companies say the materials used in modern grease can actually erode a spring. How would a person check this??
Thanks for that info, seems labor intensive. Anyone have any experience using the Teflon liners? Pros and cons? Thanks for all your replies.
Old 02-08-2021, 06:40 PM   #11
MiraclePieCo

I've installed Teflon liners. They're easy to install and work well, but they wear out relatively quickly. They call them Teflon, but I think they're really just plastic.

If you don't want to drill out the stock springs to accept slider buttons, just buy Speedway springs that already have the buttons installed.
Or go with the Posie's. They're great quality, but I'd just rather not have those non-original bumps on my springs.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:05 AM   #12
popstand

I have Posies 'SuperSlide Multi-Leaf' springs on my '53. These springs have a reversed rear eye which lowers the truck 3 inches. They come in two models, stock center pin location and 3 inch offset center bolt. Good stuff.
popstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 02:34 PM   #13
bosco

I am still considering changing the springs in my truck, but first I decided to soak the leafs with teflon dry lude. Made a big difference in the ride. So, for now I'll re-lube with the teflon when I do an oil change and see how it goes.
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:08 PM   #14
lilredfifty

Thanks guys this is the kind of info I was looking for to help make a decision.