The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2019, 08:55 PM   #1
Dan in Pasadena

LED Tail Light Lenses "Plug 'n Play"?

I'm considering installing LED tail light lenses in my truck and wondering if they're as simple as they appear to be?

Per the below listing, it looks like they have an ordinary 1157 tail light bulb base and you just plug them in place the stock incandescent bulb. Is this correct? Will I need to change the flasher or anything else also?

http://www.truckandcarshop.com/trucks47_59/t47_006.html

PS: Does this lens work in place of the stock lens or is it used in between the housing and the stock lens?

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:05 PM   #2
popstand

Re: LED Tail Light Lenses "Plug 'n Play"?

LED lens goes in place of your old lens, has 3 sealed wires. Remove your old light socket it’s not used. LH side has tail/turn and also license plate light. I bought and installed two RH because my license plate is in the center with a ’54 bracket and light.

These lenses are really nice stuff.
popstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 11:53 PM   #3
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by popstand View Post
....Remove your old light socket it’s not used...
^^^ This doesn't jibe with the photo in the link above. It clearly shows a light bulb base which I have been assuming plugs into the existing light's socket.

If so, why would you remove the socket and thereby (I assume) have to cut off the socket base that comes with the LED lens and join the wires?

Old 05-06-2019, 12:00 AM   #4
mr48chev

Dan is correct this time around (but 99.9999 % of the time he is anyhow)

That is straight plug and play as far as the install as long as you have a good housing and good bezel it should be a quick swap that is just as quickly reversed if you ever need to.

Side note though you will probably have to get a flasher designed for LED as they don't draw enough amps to trigger regular flashers.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:35 AM   #5
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
....Side note though you will probably have to get a flasher designed for LED as they don't draw enough amps to trigger regular flashers.
So if I get an LED flasher for them what happens the front signals?

EDIT: Okay, I looked it up and apparently there are flashers that will work for both LED's and incandescent light bulbs. Of course I have to wonder why they don't make LED front lenses? I suppose it's not critical for safety reasons like the rear ones are, but still wouldn't it be better if they matched? Or would they be disagreeably bright for oncoming cars?

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 05-06-2019 at 01:46 AM.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:45 AM   #6
1project2many

Dan, the old style flashers are designed to blink fast if there is not enough current drawn through the flasher. It's a warning that there's a bulb out. Not saying you don't know, just describing operation. "Electronic" or "LED" flashers are designed to provide a regular on-off-on cycle regardless of current draw. They were originally used for folks towing trailers with additional lighting which could cause problems with the old flashers. Another option is to install a resistor in the turn signal circuit so the current draw with LED is the same as with light bulbs. I had to do this to my wife's old VW as the turn signals were controlled by electronic circuitry on the dash, not a separate flasher.

There are plenty of vehicles with front LED flashers. Tri-five Chevy cars plus the C1 Corvettes are both popular candidates for LED retrofits. I began to do a search for a nice LED light for a '57 car when I stumbled on these:

https://www.ebay.com/i/263352635142?chn=ps

LED park lamps for 55-57 Chevy trucks $70/pair.

They're made by United Pacific and there are plenty of LED offerings available. The online catalog is good but a bit clumsy, but eventually you can get to the truck park lights:
Part #CPL5557 listed for $42.99 ea. Note that you are to add an A or C to the end of the part number to designate an Amber or Clear lens.

Since these guys also offer drop in LED tail lights I'm thinking you've just helped me find a single source supplier for lights for my truck. Thank you.

Last edited by 1project2many; 05-06-2019 at 06:50 AM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:08 PM   #7
Dan in Pasadena

1P2M - Thanks for the input and link to (I hope) LED front signals for my truck. I noticed on the Car & Truck Shop site they have the LED front signals for AD trucks but not for the TF trucks - yet!

Funny, I remember when I was little (early 60’s, I’m about to turn 65 - UGH) my dad’s then fairly new ‘59 longbed Fleetside had the stock white signal lenses and in those days amber lenses hadn’t been marketed yet. He bought a little bottle of an amber liquid; from God knows where, and painted the inside of the lenses with it! I wonder if anyone else remembers this odd little bit of automotive trivia?

Old 05-06-2019, 04:35 PM   #8
popstand

Again:LED lens goes in place of your old lens, has 3 sealed wires. The LEDs are in the lens, no bulb. Remove your old light socket it’s not used. The socket is attached to the housing by a screw.Yes you need a LED flasher. I also put LED park/turn on the front of my truck.

I actually did this on my '53 and it's working, really nice bright lights.
popstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:28 PM   #9
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
1P2M - Thanks for the input and link to (I hope) LED front signals for my truck. I noticed on the Car & Truck Shop site they have the LED front signals for AD trucks but not for the TF trucks - yet!

Funny, I remember when I was little (early 60’s, I’m about to turn 65 - UGH) my dad’s then fairly new ‘59 longbed Fleetside had the stock white signal lenses and in those days amber lenses hadn’t been marketed yet. He bought a little bottle of an amber liquid; from God knows where, and painted the inside of the lenses with it! I wonder if anyone else remembers this odd little bit of automotive trivia?

That was called "bulb dye" it was designed to coat the bulb inside the light so it looked amber when you had it on. Flaked off real quick most of the time though. I think I coated the insides of my park lenses on my 48 with it in 1973 when I first built the truck. We did some off the wall but harmless things in those days to be cool. If you dad is still alive ask him about red line tire strip paint/crayons. Those were the low buck dude's hot lick in 1966.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:10 PM   #10
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
....If you dad is still alive ask him about red line tire strip paint/crayons. Those were the low buck dude's hot lick in 1966.

Thanks but my Dad's been gone since 1990. He got to see his 6 grandkids and adored them. He would have adored seeing his great grandkids. My mom did before she passed a couple years ago at 91+

He passed at 66 and I'll be 65 in December. YIKES!

But like most people in those days, my Dad smoked. Heavily until he had a major heart attack when he was only 45. Then he quit a 4-pack-a-day habit(WTF?!!!) cold turkey. He was a brick mason back when things were still built from brick. That's why he always had trucks. A couple AD's, a '59 TF - he put in a 348, then a ig six 292 '66 C20 and when he got older an early Toyota.