The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-22-2011, 11:18 PM   #1
CEE1NG_RED

...forgetful me!!!

...changed the transmission filter, but did not see that it came with a paper-like gasket that was stuck in the box. Now, I filled up the trans. with ATF. Will this hurt the transmission in the longrun if I did not put a gasket on the trans. filter.
- 2003 Ford SVT Cobra "Terminator" 281 (Once in a blue moon driver/weekend driver)
CEE1NG_RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:28 PM   #2
DesertCat

Talking Re: ...forgetful me!!!

You already know the answer to this, huh?

I wouldn't want to either.....
Old 08-23-2011, 02:04 AM   #3
CEE1NG_RED

Re: ...forgetful me!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertCat View Post
You already know the answer to this, huh?

I wouldn't want to either.....
...wouldn't want to what? Drive it or go through the whole process of removing the ATF/filter change.
- 2003 Ford SVT Cobra "Terminator" 281 (Once in a blue moon driver/weekend driver)
Old 08-23-2011, 02:22 AM   #4
FLEET72

My take, if the filter gasket wasn't important, they wouldn't put it in the box.
'69 GMC Custom Camper
FLEET72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:34 AM   #5
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

I'm confussed...are you talking about the paper type gasket for the pan where it mates to the case? if so you would most definitely need it, it wouldn't hurt the tranny itself but you'll have tranny fluid pouring out all over the place, especially when it warms up and gets up to pressure.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
CEE1NG_RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightbanger View Post
I'm confussed...are you talking about the paper type gasket for the pan where it mates to the case? if so you would most definitely need it, it wouldn't hurt the tranny itself but you'll have tranny fluid pouring out all over the place, especially when it warms up and gets up to pressure.
...that explains why there's a leak still. I guess, I'll just save up for a better trans. pan and dipstick tube while I'm at it if I'm going to take out the pan again. From my prior memory, the trans. inner is compact already...so I'm not quite too sure how I'll be able to put in the Lokar trans dipstick lock version. ;T
Old 08-23-2011, 08:22 PM   #7
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

...that explains why there's a leak still. I guess, I'll just save up for a better trans. pan and dipstick tube while I'm at it if I'm going to take out the pan again. From my prior memory, the trans. inner is compact already...so I'm not quite too sure how I'll be able to put in the Lokar trans dipstick lock version. ;T

I'm confused too... You lost me on the above info. Exactly which gasket was stuck to the box. There's no way the big pan gasket would have been missed. And the small one wouldn't cause an external leak. You may have overtightened the bolts or have some other issues.

Now, if you mean the smaller one that goes with the filter than it's possible unfiltered fluid will get into the transmission if it's not a tight fit. Personally, I would bite the bullet and install the gasket. Why take a chance.

68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
CEE1NG_RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post

I'm confused too... You lost me on the above info. Exactly which gasket was stuck to the box. There's no way the big pan gasket would have been missed. And the small one wouldn't cause an external leak. You may have overtightened the bolts or have some other issues.

Now, if you mean the smaller one that goes with the filter than it's possible unfiltered fluid will get into the transmission if it's not a tight fit. Personally, I would bite the bullet and install the gasket. Why take a chance.

...it's the smaller one that goes with the filter. Leak is not as bad, only after driving. If, I can't fix this leak...I'll have to take it to a mechanic that has a cherry picker and other tools that I don't have. Could it be that we did not use brake cleaner to clean the pan and bottom trans where it connects to? We just wiped it down good then applied gray RTV silicone on both sides of the big gasket that mounts the pan to the transmission bottom. This freak'n blows!!!

Also, may it be a warped pan?? It seemed straight, but who knows?? Sucks big time man!
Old 08-23-2011, 08:42 PM   #9
1972RedNeck

Did you take a ball peen hammer and drive the holes back?
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:46 PM   #10
CEE1NG_RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck View Post
Did you take a ball peen hammer and drive the holes back?
...say what again?? :shrug: I'll just reuse the trans. ATF since it's practically new. $18 for 1 gal and needing 2 gals sucks! I'll just clean the oil drain bucket w/ brake cleaner and water then wipe it down good to reuse the ATF. The pain would be removing the gray RTV!
Old 08-23-2011, 09:46 PM   #11
hayhauler71

If you want to make sure the pan does not leek use a Moroso Perm Align pan gasket. And the nice thing about it it is reusable and can,t be over torqued
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2011, 09:54 PM   #12
CEE1NG_RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayhauler71 View Post
If you want to make sure the pan does not leek use a Moroso Perm Align pan gasket. And the nice thing about it it is reusable and can,t be over torqued
...does it require RTV? If so, I dunno how it would be reusable if old RTV silicone is stuck on it.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:11 PM   #13
hayhauler71

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEE1NG_RED View Post
...does it require RTV? If so, I dunno how it would be reusable if old RTV silicone is stuck on it.
No rtv This gasket is about 1/4 inch thick and has a steel shim sandwiched between the gasket the gasket is made of silicone and has limiters so you can not over torque. Just pull the pan and wire wheel the rtv off to clean it up.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:18 PM   #14
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

I agree with using a quality gasket however I've never used rtv sealant on the transmission pan gasket or any type of gasket adhesive. There's too much of a chance it can contaminate the trans fluid.

I believe what 1972redneck may have been referring to is if the pan bolts were overtightened, they tend to create a dimple on the back side. I've seen that mostly on oil pans and valve covers but no so much on transmission pans.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:29 AM   #15
DesertCat

Sorry about my first post, thought you were looking for emotional support not technical.

Others have chimed in and I agree with them, here's my couple of cents;

Yes, you need the filter gasket. As for the pan gasket, I have never used anything but a plain old pan gasket with no RTV or whatever goo. Just make sure that the mounting flange of the pan is straight and do not over tighten the pan nuts. Loctite is good to use on the bolts here.

As for your leak, maybe the pan, maybe not. Can you see where the leak is coming from?
Potential leaks from:
Pan
input seal (where Torque converter slides into the pump)
driveshaft seal
speedometer o-ring
kickdown cable o-ring
dipstick o-ring
modulator

all of these except the input seal can be replaced easily with the trans in place. Cheap too!

Your new trans fluid will be fine, just filter it through a paint strainer before you put it back in.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:38 AM   #16
DesertCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightbanger View Post
There's never any pressure at the pan. It is simply a sump, else you'd blow out your dipstick tube. Ewww. Just so ya know...

Last edited by DesertCat; 08-24-2011 at 03:32 AM.
DesertCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:37 AM   #17
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEE1NG_RED View Post
When I 1st took my 72 GMC to my Mechanic to have him check it over for "Road Worthiness", he said the PO had installed 2 pan Gaskets and used Clear Silicone to seal the Tranny Pan.
My Mechanic said they parked in the shop before going home that night and came back the next morning, with 2 Quarts of ATF on the Floor!
back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"
wwotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:49 AM   #18
CEE1NG_RED

Quote:
Sorry about my first post, thought you were looking for emotional support not technical.

Others have chimed in and I agree with them, here's my couple of cents;

Yes, you need the filter gasket. As for the pan gasket, I have never used anything but a plain old pan gasket with no RTV or whatever goo. Just make sure that the mounting flange of the pan is straight and do not over tighten the pan nuts. Loctite is good to use on the bolts here.

As for your leak, maybe the pan, maybe not. Can you see where the leak is coming from?
Potential leaks from:
Pan
input seal (where Torque converter slides into the pump)
driveshaft seal
speedometer o-ring
kickdown cable o-ring
dipstick o-ring
modulator

all of these except the input seal can be replaced easily with the trans in place. Cheap too!

Your new trans fluid will be fine, just filter it through a paint strainer before you put it back in.
Ill check the owners manual and see where these list of potential leaks are located. If you say they are easy to replace. I should be able to do this with the trans and engine in the truck. Til then, I'll just leave it parked and drive it short distance for emergency pick up/drop off. I don't really have time this month to do this.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:56 AM   #19
Lemield

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayhauler71 View Post
X2 on the Moroso gasket...they are nice but pricey!

Not sure if it was mentioned but I have had the shifter shaft seal leak and LOOK like a pan gasket leak.....the seals are easy to replace without dropping the pan if you have the correct tool.

1949 Willys CJ2A, Kubota Turbo Diesel engine, Warn Overdrive, 11 inch brakes, 12volt, Warn M8000 Winch "Little Green"
1970 Rustoleum Roller Red C20 Custom Camper 454 TH400 "Big Red"
1971 K20 6.2 Turbo Diesel 4x4 4spd Ranger Overdrive "Pumpkin Wagon"
2005 VW Beetle Diesel 44+ MPG "Silver Bullet"
Lemield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:05 PM   #20
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Quote:
There's never any pressure at the pan. It is simply a sump, else you'd blow out your dipstick tube. Ewww. Just so ya know...
Thanks mate.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote