The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2019, 07:42 PM   #1
Phungki

Re: Engine rebuild. Question on heads

It’s not the original engine from that car. Looked up the casting number and confirmed it was a 350.
Phungki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:40 PM   #2
1project2many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phungki View Post
It’s not the original engine from that car. Looked up the casting number and confirmed it was a 350.
Well that's good news. But youch! 305 heads on a 350 can cause pretty severe detonation issues. It raises compression significantly and the sharp edges of the chambers can get hot enough to be a trigger point.

Modern head designs for street vehicles don't require angled plugs to get best flow. Go with straight.

Be warned that if you get a Vortec head the centerline of the exhaust ports is not in line with the centerline of the bolt holes. You may have to "walk" the holes closer to the top of the header.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:50 AM   #3
Phungki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
Well that's good news. But youch! 305 heads on a 350 can cause pretty severe detonation issues. It raises compression significantly and the sharp edges of the chambers can get hot enough to be a trigger point.

Modern head designs for street vehicles don't require angled plugs to get best flow. Go with straight.

Be warned that if you get a Vortec head the centerline of the exhaust ports is not in line with the centerline of the bolt holes. You may have to "walk" the holes closer to the top of the header.
From what I have read there really isn’t a significant difference in performance between straight or angled. I was just wondering about header fitment. If either one gave me more options.
I’ve read vortec is a better head but I believe I would also have to change my intake if I got those. I don’t want to do that. The one it has is fine. I’m not trying to squeeze every horse out of this thing anyway. But to get these heads redone is only about $175 away from a new set at summit so I figured I’d go that route
And end up better off
Thank you for the responses. I appreciate the input from ppl who have “been there done that”
Phungki is offline   Reply With Quote