The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-13-2023, 06:38 PM   #11
5Tractorguy

Re: Engine Rebuild Question- Cam Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
It should be a bolt on and go affair. The only thing that might be of issue is if the heads you are looking at have been shaved. This would potentially change the length of the pushrod you need.
That's what I was hoping! Did some research and I'd have to change the intake, reroute water pump, different rockers, etc. Decided to fix the crack instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
What did you decide on for a cam with your rebuild last year? Did it work out the way you hoped? I'm curious since the lope usually has to do with a motor that is set up to spinhigher RPMs and make power up there, rather than a torque motor. Lope sounds cool, but I choose cams that give a smooth idle and low end torque, so I'm curious if you're happy with what you got.

Regarding the vortec heads, just be sure that they are not cracked as well. They are prone to cracking and hide the cracks well. Don't want you to end up with the problem you're fixing.

This engine got the Melling MTC-1 cam. I'll give you a solid update on performance within the next few weeks... It does sound righteous at idle before you bring the timing up! But needs a lot of advance to run properly.

Unfortunately with the cracked head, leaking valve stem seals and an over fueling Quadrajet, performance was lacking throughout the past year. There was definitely a noticeable power increase from the previous engine though, but all the other factors really hindered performance.

Took a chance and brazed the crack in the head. Braze wet into the cast nicely so I think it'll be okay. In the process of re-assembling the heads now, should be back up and running end of next week.

Name:  IMG_9464.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  57.5 KB Name:  IMG_9468.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  53.1 KB

Name:  IMG_9483.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  39.8 KB Name:  IMG_9488.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  73.6 KB

5Tractorguy on Youtube
5Tractorguy is offline   Reply With Quote