The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-12-2023, 10:27 PM   #1
Sovereign

firmer seat foam?

What options do I have for firming up my bench seat? The cover is nice and I replaced the foam last year with new foam from LMC. It's still too soft for my tastes. When I replaced the foam, I noticed all of the springs were in place and the wires were not broken. Is stiffer foam available? Can I change to stronger springs or more springs maybe? The shape of the seat and everything else is fine with me. I just want it to be stiffer. I'm only 160lbs and feel like I sink in when I sit down.

Thank you!
Old 10-13-2023, 11:35 PM   #2
TKCR

Re: firmer seat foam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
What options do I have for firming up my bench seat? The cover is nice and I replaced the foam last year with new foam from LMC. It's still too soft for my tastes. When I replaced the foam, I noticed all of the springs were in place and the wires were not broken. Is stiffer foam available? Can I change to stronger springs or more springs maybe? The shape of the seat and everything else is fine with me. I just want it to be stiffer. I'm only 160lbs and feel like I sink in when I sit down.

Thank you!
I actually don’t like the new foam, I think it’s too soft. I prefer using good original foam on my seats I restore.
So when you had the seat completely torn down, you said the springs were in place and the grid wires weren’t broken. But were the springs snug? The grid and springs are supposed to be snug, not loose. On most, and I mean 99% of the seats I stripped to restore, the grid and springs were always loose. That is why the seat feels soft, that and the fact you’re using new foam. Like I said, I think they are too soft.
One option, you can purchase a new grid and spring kit from USA1 Industries. I also put a layer of jute between the foam and grid. That helps support the foam a little, and it protects the foam from the grid wires digging into the foam.
Here’s some pictures of when I restored my own personal bench seat for my truck. Although I had plenty of new foam that I could have used, I chose to use the original foam.
Attached Images

TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 10:32 PM   #3
Sovereign

I didn't check to see if they were loose or not. I didn't think about it honestly. I figured if everything was there and not broken, I was good. I guess not.

Is there a way to tight everything or can it only be replaced?

Thank you.
Old 10-14-2023, 10:49 PM   #4
TKCR

Quote:
I didn't check to see if they were loose or not. I didn't think about it honestly. I figured if everything was there and not broken, I was good. I guess not.

Is there a way to tight everything or can it only be replaced?

Thank you.
Yeah it can be tightened. I did on all the seats I restored. Or I replaced the grid and springs with new. Either way, the seat would have to come back out and stripped back down to do any kind of repair.
Old 10-14-2023, 10:54 PM   #5
Sovereign

Are there videos or instructions on tightening everything? In your experience, has tightening worked well or should I just replace? The parts are only $60 from USA1 so it's not a terrible expense.

Thank you
Old 10-14-2023, 11:00 PM   #6
TKCR

Quote:
Are there videos or instructions on tightening everything? In your experience, has tightening worked well or should I just replace? The parts are only $60 from USA1 so it's not a terrible expense.

Thank you
The only video I have made was just showing the loose springs, and then showing how snug they should be. I doubt thee are any other videos on how to tighten them, because most people don’t even realize it needs done.