The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-19-2020, 12:57 PM   #351
roll_the_dice

Re: 1965 LWB Stepside Build

On hot days like this...I am reminded of my favorite shop tool...a LARGE fan my dad put together back in the 50's. Like anything back then you made due with what you had. Large motor, fan blade and a Standard Oil cast iron lollipop sign base and post. I do not remember a time in my life without this fan. Moves a lot of air and looks great while doing it!
Attached Images

roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 03:35 PM   #352
roll_the_dice

Moving right along...cut out the patch panel for the ashtray to smooth out the dash. I don't think it is too bad of a fit for a first try. First time for everything...hope to get it welded next week.
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2020, 07:48 PM   #353
roll_the_dice

Sandblasted and sanded my door panels today...and got one painted. I need to fill in 2 unlevel holes before I paint the other. The PO had a door pull installed (cabinet pull) and it was not level...

I can't decide if I am going to paint the inner portion of the panel green or leave it all silver. Anyway...here is the passenger side panel painted and the drivers side ready for primer after I repair the hole.
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2020, 11:42 PM   #354
roll_the_dice

Continued painting the door panel. I masked it off and painted green to make it two tone. I really like the result. I also patched the 2 holes on the other door panel today, so hopefully get paint on that one this week. Here is the process I did to the painted door.

I used 1/4" tape to go around the edge where I wanted the stripe. All in one loop for each layer...then masked off the rest with blue painters tape. Then painted the green...3 coats and when the last coat was fresh, pulled the tape.

Now just need to clear coat it and it will be finished. I think the green will be a nice break on the silver door.
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2020, 08:17 AM   #355
bsarts

The fan is way cool! Great idea for the panel, looks good.
bsarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 08:48 AM   #356
cwcarpenter98

I like the green, that's a nice touch to break up the silver

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:32 PM   #357
J Williams

Dang man, love the build! Very detailed. Makes mine look way amateur! Another question for you, on your emblem restoration is the silver just painted?
Posted via Mobile Device
J Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 05:15 PM   #358
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsarts View Post
The fan is way cool! Great idea for the panel, looks good.
Thanks, I like the panel a lot! I LOVE the fan. The best feature is if wasps are flying around, they usually get sucked into the blades and I see them lying on the ground near it...no more pesky wasps! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
I like the green, that's a nice touch to break up the silver
Thanks Christian!
Old 06-24-2020, 05:19 PM   #359
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Williams View Post
Dang man, love the build! Very detailed. Makes mine look way amateur! Another question for you, on your emblem restoration is the silver just painted?
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the kind words. This is my first ever build...I knew nothing when I started and still remember most of it. Thank goodness for this board and google/youtube.

The silver on the emblem is the factory plating. I just polished it some.
Old 06-24-2020, 05:23 PM   #360
roll_the_dice

Got the 2 holes patched in the drivers door panel and painted the silver today. Hopefully will get it masked and be able to paint the green tomorrow.

Also ordered copper nickel brake line today to finish the brake lines up to the proportioning valve from the Tees. I bought the Eastwood brake line flare tool so I am anxious to use it.
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2020, 12:38 PM   #361
roll_the_dice

Finished the drivers door panel this morning. I took some more detailed pictures of the 1/4" tape line if anyone is interested. I put 3 coats of green on and just like last time as soon as the 3rd coat was laid down, I peeled off the tape. Looks eerily similar to the last one...which was my goal.
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2020, 02:34 PM   #362
J Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
Finished the drivers door panel this morning. I took some more detailed pictures of the 1/4" tape line if anyone is interested. I put 3 coats of green on and just like last time as soon as the 3rd coat was laid down, I peeled off the tape. Looks eerily similar to the last one...which was my goal.
Looks great and thanks for the tips.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2020, 11:22 AM   #363
made2drag

Loving the green also! Is the 503 paint out of a can and what brand?
made2drag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 02:12 PM   #364
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by made2drag View Post
Loving the green also! Is the 503 paint out of a can and what brand?
Thanks! All the paint I have used is rattle can except for my clear coat (Southern Polyurethanes Universal Clear). The silver is 1965 Corvette Silver (code 3314) and the green is Chevy 503 as you said. I get all my mixed rattle can paint from https://www.automotivetouchup.com/. They have always been very good to me in mixing paint and if I need more it has always matched without worry of it being a different shade.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:14 PM   #365
roll_the_dice

Had to rework my e brake crossmember since my transmission sits further back than OEM. I am going to flip the e-brake crossmember over and still have it in the OEM location. I had to cut a small notch in the e-brake crossmember to fit, but should work fine. After I notched it, I cleaned it up and painted it. Should be able to install it tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2020, 10:20 AM   #366
J Williams

Quote:
Had to rework my e brake crossmember since my transmission sits further back than OEM. I am going to flip the e-brake crossmember over and still have it in the OEM location. I had to cut a small notch in the e-brake crossmember to fit, but should work fine. After I notched it, I cleaned it up and painted it. Should be able to install it tomorrow.
Did you move your engine mounts forward already? That’s what I had to do to get my transmission close to the same location.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2020, 10:59 AM   #367
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Did you move your engine mounts forward already? That’s what I had to do to get my transmission close to the same location.
Posted via Mobile Device
I did! I originally had the engine in the factory mounts, but the distributor was really close to the firewall and my rams horn manifolds hit the firewall, so I moved the engine to the forward position. I used the POL perches for forward location. I like how the engine sits so much better now.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:02 AM   #368
roll_the_dice

Got the crossmember for the e-brake installed this morning. I still need to connect the cables. I can't find on of the clevis pins, so no point in installed 2 of them...plus I need to order a new rear ebrake cable. The passenger side is frozen and won't move.

I determined it is hard to take pictures on your back. haha Here is the crossmember installed and you can see where I had to notch it below the IFS logo on the trans crossmember. Fit like a glove.
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2020, 06:00 PM   #369
J Williams

Quote:
I did! I originally had the engine in the factory mounts, but the distributor was really close to the firewall and my rams horn manifolds hit the firewall, so I moved the engine to the forward position. I used the POL perches for forward location. I like how the engine sits so much better now.
Funny thing, I have POL mounts coming in the mail as I type. I had some but they didn’t work. POL swapped them for me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2020, 10:37 AM   #370
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Funny thing, I have POL mounts coming in the mail as I type. I had some but they didn’t work. POL swapped them for me.
Posted via Mobile Device
I really liked the heft and how the welds looked on my POL perches.

Did a little cleaning yesterday on one spring...still have to do the other. It is going from this to this...much better.
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2020, 11:56 AM   #371
J Williams

Quote:
I really liked the heft and how the welds looked on my POL perches.

Did a little cleaning yesterday on one spring...still have to do the other. It is going from this to this...much better.
Looks good, 1 down 3 to go!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-07-2020, 10:55 AM   #372
roll_the_dice

OK slowly moving along between raindrops.

I have never bent or run or flared brake lines before. I had heard nightmares with the rental flaring tool from an auto parts store...so I spent the $ on a used Eastwood flaring tool. I know this won't be my only build, so I figured it would be worth it to get good flares. This tool is simple to use and the flares are ...dare I say...beautiful. Fortunately, all I had to do was bend lines for the rear from the front Tee to the prop valve and from the Tee that connected the front to the prop valve. Since my other lines were garbage and twisted like a root from a tree...I couldn't use them as a guide. So after lots of on my back under the truck, bend, test, bend, test...etc etc...I finally finished both lines. I don't think it looks too bad for a novice. I had visions of being fancy and doing a coil, but that quickly went out the window...to let's get them run and functional. Anyway, here are a few pictures...one of the flaring tool, one of a sample flare and finally the finished look with the copper nickel lines. Now I just need to bleed them.
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2020, 04:53 PM   #373
J Williams

Quote:
OK slowly moving along between raindrops.

I have never bent or run or flared brake lines before. I had heard nightmares with the rental flaring tool from an auto parts store...so I spent the $ on a used Eastwood flaring tool. I know this won't be my only build, so I figured it would be worth it to get good flares. This tool is simple to use and the flares are ...dare I say...beautiful. Fortunately, all I had to do was bend lines for the rear from the front Tee to the prop valve and from the Tee that connected the front to the prop valve. Since my other lines were garbage and twisted like a root from a tree...I couldn't use them as a guide. So after lots of on my back under the truck, bend, test, bend, test...etc etc...I finally finished both lines. I don't think it looks too bad for a novice. I had visions of being fancy and doing a coil, but that quickly went out the window...to let's get them run and functional. Anyway, here are a few pictures...one of the flaring tool, one of a sample flare and finally the finished look with the copper nickel lines. Now I just need to bleed them.
Looks great to me! I have flared brake lines before with the “cheap” flaring tool and haven’t had issues in the past..... that being said I hope my brake lines don’t have any issues.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-07-2020, 05:00 PM   #374
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Looks great to me! I have flared brake lines before with the “cheap” flaring tool and haven’t had issues in the past..... that being said I hope my brake lines don’t have any issues.
Posted via Mobile Device
I was really looking for an excuse to buy that tool! I am in process of maybe buying another truck right now and know I will need it again! This was also the first time I had to do anything with brake lines, I wasn't interested in getting a line bent and then mucking it up. I thinking bending brake lines is an art form and I am no artist! I can't even draw stick people well!
Old 07-07-2020, 10:19 PM   #375
cwcarpenter98

Dadgum, that flare looks nice! I guess I'll need to get one of those tools whenever I have to do lines again

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote