The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2023, 02:12 PM   #1
DBear

Crew Cab Short Bed Fuel Tank Question

Anyone that has done the shortbed conversion on a 73-87 crew cab, how did you mount the dual tanks? Did you use the 16 gallon tanks instead of the 20 gallon, and did any of the mounting straps work on the existing holes...most likely only the forward mounting position? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Working on a 78 K30 crew cab short bed.
DBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 01:42 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Crew Cab Short Bed Fuel Tank Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBear View Post
Anyone that has done the shortbed conversion on a 73-87 crew cab, how did you mount the dual tanks? Did you use the 16 gallon tanks instead of the 20 gallon, and did any of the mounting straps work on the existing holes...most likely only the forward mounting position? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Working on a 78 K30 crew cab short bed.
You would use swb/16gal tanks or depending on how in depth the swap will be (how many mods), a Blazer/Burb tank could also be an option.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 01:49 PM   #3
DBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
You would use swb/16gal tanks or depending on how in depth the swap will be (how many mods), a Blazer/Burb tank could also be an option.
Thank you for the info sir. Probably go with dual tanks, but will explore the blazer tank option. Would be less parts involved for sure
Old 10-10-2023, 01:53 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Thank you for the info sir. Probably go with dual tanks, but will explore the blazer tank option. Would be less parts involved for sure
And.... Less complexity w/o the tank switching stuff.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 10-10-2023, 01:53 PM   #5
DBear

Quote:
What year blazer tank would you suggest? Would it need a baffled sump for the LS swap?
Old 10-10-2023, 01:55 PM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
What year blazer tank would you suggest? Would it need a baffled sump for the LS swap?
Probably a '91.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 10-11-2023, 11:11 PM   #7
wildwilly4x4

on my crew short bed, i run a fuel injection tank on the driver side (both tanks are 16 gal short bed tanks) and a carb tank on the passenger side. i have the tanks plumbed together like a semi. Both fill from the driver side at the same time, and both draw down/ equalize together. my fuel pump and sending unit are only in the driver side tank, passenger side is just a capped off sending unit. No switch valve, no trying to fill a passenger tank when im towing a trailer, etc. Been feeding my 8.1 big block as a DD for almost 12 years now. Hope that helps. Good luck with the project!
wildwilly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 11:35 PM   #8
DBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwilly4x4 View Post
on my crew short bed, i run a fuel injection tank on the driver side (both tanks are 16 gal short bed tanks) and a carb tank on the passenger side. i have the tanks plumbed together like a semi. Both fill from the driver side at the same time, and both draw down/ equalize together. my fuel pump and sending unit are only in the driver side tank, passenger side is just a capped off sending unit. No switch valve, no trying to fill a passenger tank when im towing a trailer, etc. Been feeding my 8.1 big block as a DD for almost 12 years now. Hope that helps. Good luck with the project!
I like that idea...the blazer tank definitely won't fit in the rear of my frame. Going with two 16 gallon tanks. Your plumbing design seems easier and cheaper. If you wouldn't mind, I might nee to pick your brain soon for more info. Thanks for the advice sir.
Old 10-19-2023, 07:25 AM   #9
wildwilly4x4

yeah, no problem at all. Join my FB page "8.1 Vortec Square Body/ LS 4x4/ Swap/ Classifieds"... i think i have pics and all there, and if not, i can add them, just hit me up.
Old 10-19-2023, 09:17 AM   #10
SCOTI

Curious about how the tank-to-tank plumbing was done but don't have FB.
Any chance of sharing the images & info here?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 10-20-2023, 06:30 AM   #11
wildwilly4x4

Quote:
Curious about how the tank-to-tank plumbing was done but don't have FB.
Any chance of sharing the images & info here?
The filler neck is custom. instead of being "all hose" from the neck to the driver tank, i have a short piece of hose to a "T" that i fabbed out of exhaust tubing. That "T" then has a short piece of hose that connects to the driver tank, then continues above the chassis rail/below the bed floor, across to the passenger tank, then "90's" into the filler neck of the passenger tank. the vent hoses are plumbed the same way.

On the bottom/front of each tank, i welded on a 1/4' pipe half collar. Those collars have 1/4' ball valves plumbed into them, then the valves are connected by 3/8" SS tubing. I ran the tubing tight next to the chassis, across the t'case/trans crossmember to each tank.

It's a very simple setup, and works flawlessly. It has been in service like this for 11 years now as a DD/ tow rig. you could do without the valves at each tank, but i reccomend using them for eas of service if you ever need to remove the crossover tubing, drain a tank for some reason, or whatever.
Old 10-20-2023, 08:45 AM   #12
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwilly4x4 View Post
The filler neck is custom. instead of being "all hose" from the neck to the driver tank, i have a short piece of hose to a "T" that i fabbed out of exhaust tubing. That "T" then has a short piece of hose that connects to the driver tank, then continues above the chassis rail/below the bed floor, across to the passenger tank, then "90's" into the filler neck of the passenger tank. the vent hoses are plumbed the same way.

On the bottom/front of each tank, i welded on a 1/4' pipe half collar. Those collars have 1/4' ball valves plumbed into them, then the valves are connected by 3/8" SS tubing. I ran the tubing tight next to the chassis, across the t'case/trans crossmember to each tank.

It's a very simple setup, and works flawlessly. It has been in service like this for 11 years now as a DD/ tow rig. you could do without the valves at each tank, but i reccomend using them for eas of service if you ever need to remove the crossover tubing, drain a tank for some reason, or whatever.
Thanks for the specifics. The bottom portion of the connections I assumed but your explanation confirmed.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG