The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: Should a $80 muffler last more than a few years?
Your right...Flows suck 13 27.66%
No problem with mine...you have crappy luck. 24 51.06%
OEM $10 deal should be good enough for the Kroger Cruiser 4 8.51%
Get the Thrush, to h*ll with the neighbors who sleep all day. 7 14.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-02-2002, 09:05 PM   #1
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Thumbs down Flowmasters

Well, the wife's S-10 been running crappy, exhaust choking up real bad, so I figured the cat was clogged up. I went to hollow it out today (I know...its a no-no) and when I removed the 3 chaimber flowmaster that I installed in 98, it made clunking and rattling.
I have been talking bad about these things for a while, mostly from the heat they make, and the ugly sound they make, but now, I'll add poor quality and low life expectancy.
While I am up in the rust belt, this is a solid Central Texas grocery getter that has been in the snow less than a dozen times in its life....it was not rotted from salt. Heck, I unbolted the pipe from the cat with a 3/8 inch drive rachet and a bit of P.B. Blaster P-oil. (original pipes...138,000 miles and 10 years old)
This Flow master has the baffles all rusted and holes in them and all kinds of crap.
Am i asking too much out of an 80 FRIKKEN DOLLAR muffler? Or am I right to asume more than 4 years service?
Now the next desison... a thrush turbo, or a $10 life time deal from the parts store...
I gotta admit, the bare cat sounds pretty darned cool, and it lights them up at will....well, ok, it lights up the right rear at will.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote