The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-13-2024, 03:48 PM   #1
youngrodder

51 GMC (customers truck)

I have been asked if I work on other peoples trucks. Up until now the answer was always no. A guy reached out from the Gram to ask if I would work on his 51 GMC to sort out a bunch of "issues". He was a friend of a friend so I said bring it over and let me look at it first. He also has looked over my Suburban at local shows.

Back story - Bo purchased the truck off eBay site unseen from Canada. The truck runs and drives. The truck was built with a bunch of top notch parts. Examples: Scotts Hot rods suspension, 6.0 LS, Latest AccuAir set up. RideTech adjustable shocks and vintage air to name a few. I just think they thru it together for a quick sale. Like I say they fumbled at the 1 yrd line.

I will focus on the following (for now):
*Remove all faulty existing wiring.
* Rewire the entire truck (AAW Highway 15 kit). For now leaving the LS side of the wiring alone as it was a repined stock harness (not my favorite)
* Add interior lighting.
* Hook up exterior push button door handles to work with the Altman latches. (I removed a door popper kit)
* Wire in a fan controller. (same one I used in the Suburban)
* Fix the AccuAir as it does not calibrate correctly.
* Add horns.
* Added door jam contacts like I used on the Suburban for the wires that pass thru the door jam.

He purchased all he parts I suggest. I asked for 1/2 down and 1/2 on completion. So far I'm about 65% done.

He has another friends truck (59 Chevy -RS chassis) that he wants me to work on next but I said lets get this one done first and make sure everyone is happy.

The LS wiring is scary now that I have gotten into it. There is colored labeled wiring that was used for other circuits where they dont belong. It makes trouble shooting down the road impossible. We might be rewiring that with a BP Automotive harness later but for now I will concentrate on the chassis wiring and hope the LS side of things we can use. I have provided examples of some of the wiring surprises.

Thanks
Marc
Attached Images

1948 Chevy Truck - Finished SOLD!!

1953 Chevy Suburban "Family Truckster" Completed: Spring of 2021
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=605484

1994 4x4 Blazer - "Field Find"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ferrerid=30857
youngrodder is offline   Reply With Quote