The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-06-2017, 12:51 AM   #1
1969 Project

Which exhaust to go with?

I have a 383 stroker that currently has Flowmasters with turn downs. I don't really like the sound as it has too much drone. I have been doing some research and was trying to decide between Borola or Magnaflow. I am not so much concerned with it being loud at idle but I definitely want to let the sound be heard when I get on it. Anyone have any experience or advise on either one of these? I know Borola is about double the price not sure if they are worth it or not.
1969 Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:00 AM   #2
Marine-58

Re: Which exhaust to go with?

Interesting question but really hard to answer. (For me at least). The sound of the engine is a very subjective thing. There is a guy here at work with a newer Mustang. He has a Borla cat back system. He loves it, but I just find it annoying. His car, his money, what he likes is more important.

What I have on the truck is 2 1/2" back to Magnaflows with the pipes exiting to the side behind the rear wheels. The Vette has 3" all the way back with Magnaflow's. I love them both though they are on the loud side. My neighbor says he doesn't need his alarm clock when I come in to work driving either vehicle. Fortunately he likes hot rods almost as much as I do. It is fun going into a parking garage and setting off the car alarms...

69 Corvette convertible 454/650
Marine-58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:06 AM   #3
96blazr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969 Project View Post
I have a 383 stroker that currently has Flowmasters with turn downs. I don't really like the sound as it has too much drone. I have been doing some research and was trying to decide between Borola or Magnaflow. I am not so much concerned with it being loud at idle but I definitely want to let the sound be heard when I get on it. Anyone have any experience or advise on either one of these? I know Borola is about double the price not sure if they are worth it or not.
Well, let's see; You don't want the drone, but you want it to be heard when you "get on it".
Question: is the "turn down" before the axle? if yes, then the mufflers are right underneath the cab. If you lengthen the pipe and put the mufflers between the cab and axle then that should reduce the drone.
Also, take it to a reputable exhaust shop that the other Hot Rodders use and get their opinion and, for that matter, get them to install it for you.

Mufflers are all a matter of personal taste. I use Hooker Aero Chamber in Stainless steel and my exhaust is SS & full length and exits between the rear tire and the bumper. You should definitely check out "FLOWTECH", I think you'll like them A LOT https://holley.com/products/exhaust/mufflers/

Magnaflows sounds great when used with a full length system, but are very harsh, raspy (Not good) when used with short systems. Borla's are just over priced, not to mention it'll make you sound like a...well. Just leave these to the Lambo guys and stick with something a little more befitting an American truck.

I'm also surprised the California Lefty Eco-Nazi's haven't kidnapped you and your truck, forced you to watch Al Gore videos all day and night, then force you to drive a Prius, then demanded seedling packets for your release.

Remember, no matter where you go,
There you are.

Gary
96blazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:50 PM   #4
1969 Project

It exits before the axle. The guy I take it to at the muffler shop said he has used Magnaflow and Flowmaster and he liked them both but they have a different sound. I was actually thinking of having him make me a whole new custom exhaust. When I first bought the truck the pipes came out the back and it sounded better but when I lowered it it gave me no room to run them that way. So I am thinking if i have him do this maybe the Magnaflows will sound more of what I am looking for. I'll see if i can find any sound clips of the Flowtech. Thanks for the input fellas
Old 07-06-2017, 11:14 PM   #5
6T7 C10

IMO Flowmasters with turndowns before the rear axle is the worst combination for drone. Everyone has different sensitivities and tastes but the chambered muffler along with the sound wave bouncing between the pavement and truck bed can drive you crazy and give you a headache sometimes. While they all drone at certain rpm's -any- other muffler internal design with tailpipe(s) going to the bodyside or rear will help a lot. Some have even added small glass packs to the tailpipe as a resonator and then there are quarter wave tubes you can install in the tailpipe to cancel out sound waves as well. In my daily driver I do not have any mufflers at all in my full length system but I do have a quarter wave tube tuned to length and have no drone at all but a healthy sound.
6T7 C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:40 AM   #6
whtgmc68

I have 2-1/2" pipes from the headers back to Magnaflow 14" mufflers mounted about a foot behind the cab under the bed exiting behind the rear tires. It is too mellow for my taste at idle and part throttle acceleration but it gets pretty loud at WOT and high RPM. However, the Magnaflows sound like glasspacks to me when my 383 is turned up. I have wondered if turn downs would give it more aggressive sound or if i just need to change the mufflers. I have been listening to a lot of sound clips of Pypes mufflers in Youtube to get an idea of better setup, but i really dont like the glasspack sound these Magnaflows make and I have uswd Magnaflows before and they sounded better.
whtgmc68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:49 AM   #7
azle

Dual 3" into one Flowmaster with a 4" exit and dump! sounds awesome to me!
Azle
azle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:14 PM   #8
1969 Project

update: I went with the Magnaflow and had the muffler shop route my pipes exiting behind the rear wheels. As whtgmc68 stated they are a bit mellow but at WOT they sound beasty with that being said I am sure I'll be going through gas even more now. . She is pretty quiet at idle which I don't mind. The sound compared to my flowmasters is night and day. The flowmasters I would say are definitely louder but it was pretty annoying to me at times but I believe that may have been due to the turn downs more than anything. It does have a sound of a glasspack but I also heard that the Magnaflows have a break in period and the sound will change a bit. Is that true? Being that I spent all this money I am going to ride it out for a while and see if it grows on me.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:44 PM   #9
demian5

Quote:
I don't really like the sound as it has too much drone.
I have mid-length headers with hooker mufflers that mount under the bed and
turn down before the differential.

They droned pretty good, then I put dynamat like material in my cab and no more drone.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:17 PM   #10
whtgmc68

Quote:
update: It does have a sound of a glasspack but I also heard that the Magnaflows have a break in period and the sound will change a bit. Is that true? Being that I spent all this money I am going to ride it out for a while and see if it grows on me.
I've had mine on the truck since I put headers on the old 350 that was in the truck back in 2010 and they still sound pretty much the same. They are probably a little bit louder at idle but l cant tell much difference anywhere else.
whtgmc68 is offline   Reply With Quote