The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2014, 07:03 PM   #1
full foot notch

Need input on retro-rod my 72 with Bluetooth and maybe iPad

So I just bought a 72 c10 auto trans and I'm going towards a retro rod feeling, old vehicle with new creature comforts, so far converting the bulbs to more efficient LEDs , the headlights I might do proper HID or even try the new LED headlight bulbs. My next step on the truck is the stereo in which I would like to do something Bluetooth based and screen based. My first initial thought was do do an iPad or iPad mini in a center console and have it in a custom console between the bench seat and the dash. The iPad would be cleaner and more streamlined but I think I would have issues streaming music and GPS without having to buy a cell plan for the iPad I would have to buy , and I'm not sure it's possible to efficiently stream data from my iPhone, to the iPad, and then Bluetooth that into the dash radio which I would also have to buy.

So my second thought would to go with a double din that I can fabricate into the console, then I get the iPhone streaming , built in GPS , possible in car call answering , and sat radio if I want it which if you get the basic plan from Sirius it's about $20 for 6 months, but then I've gotta rewire the whole stereo that's in there, and since the dash is already cut for a din radio instead of the shaft radios. I would have two radios in the car. I'm strongly against cutting the dash for a double din since that would bring down the value of the truck from a collectors resale value.

Are there any products I don't know about that can help facilitate what I'm wanting to do or what would you guys do in this case.

Also do you guys have any pics of custom consoles that have been built for antique trucks with bench seats still installed.
full foot notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 05:34 PM   #2
NJ C10 Guy

Re: Need input on retro-rod my 72 with Bluetooth and maybe iPad

well since you plan on adding creature comforts, why would you care about collectibility or originality? I think if you want to modernize it, then eliminate the current radio and do some fab work to make the dash accept the double din. once you start taking away from the original, you may as well go all the way. you're just as likely to find someone who will pay for the added technology as you will for someone to pay for 50 year old technology IMO.

if you're that concerned, option 2 would be to buy a donor dash that you can hack up and customize, and keep your original dash in storage if the next owner wants a collectible/original car.

i'm not trying to sound like a DB or obnoxious, just lending an opinion from the other side of it.
NJ C10 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:12 PM   #3
mtully79

Check this thread out. Keep your stock radio but have the 'guts' removed to add all the modern touches. I'll have this done with my 72 blazer over the winter.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267497
mtully79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:09 AM   #4
Cooper197

Well, don't worry about having to "rewire" a stereo. If you have one in there already then it should be a 5 minute job (wiring wise) to swap it out with something else.
Now, if you want all those nice features and have a single din space, look into something like a flip up head unit. I know Clarion and Kenwood make some nice ones that have a 7 inch touchscreen, navigation, sat radio, USB for iPhone, Bluetooth, etc. Should even allow for you to do a backup camera if you wanted to.

They aren't cheap, but they wouldn't be much more than if you were going to do an iPad.
You can also find previous generation ones on eBay for cheap!
The Kenwood ones have Navigation, I'm considering this guy for my truck
Amazon.com : Kenwood Kvt-516 7-Inch In-Dash... Amazon.com : Kenwood Kvt-516 7-Inch In-Dash...Would require a few add ons for nav and satellite
Cooper197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:11 PM   #5
Sick5
C10 CLUB Y QUE!

tmobile was but still might have that free 200mb sim card for life. with out having to open up another account.

im thinking of doing a samsung or apple mini not sure yet. i did get a chance to get the sim card for a apple mini.
you shoulf be able to stream wifi to your ipad. but just watch out on the amount of data you use with your plan. one more thing tmobile has free data when using pandora.
Sick5 is offline   Reply With Quote