The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2004, 01:35 PM   #1
alkack27

Hard Top for a 1973 K5?

is anyone selling or know where i can get a top for my 1973 k5 ??????
Old 05-06-2004, 11:14 AM   #2
Grim Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkack27
is anyone selling or know where i can get a top for my 1973 k5 ??????
Maybe if we knew where you are would help. Shipping a 275lb hard top is not cheap.

I may have one in a couple months. Depends on what is done with a truck that I have part ownership in that we are stripping. Body wise its not really bad and infact when it was offered to me I wish I had looked at it. It is in better conditiosn then the description I was given. I let it go to another friend that wanted the drivetrain with the understanding I could have any good body parts I wanted. He wants the runnger for a Jeep camando.

Well I have been part owner of this thing for about 2 years and I have never seen it till 2 weeks ago. Somebody did some repair work on the truck and cleaned it up with a minor restore. They replaced the rockers but they removed the rocker boxes. I am thinking of taking it whole and making a street rod or Pre runner out of it but I have to figure out what to do about the missing rocker boxes.

A little lesson on these tops as you are looking for them. There is two variations. You don't want a 73 you want a mid 74-75. In 73 they had a butted seam version. They broke at the seams often. To fix this they overlapped the seam to get more surface area to bond the top to the sides when they assembled them.

They way to tell them apart is look at the exterior seam where the top meets the sides. The over lap is just that The top will over lap the side by about 3/4 of an inch and leave a lip. The butt seam will be for the most part smooth.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 06:46 PM   #3
alkack27

yeah i live in ca so that wont work .....but my confusion is if it stick out the extra 3/4 inch will i need to replace anything else or will the top still fit perfectly with my 73
Old 05-07-2004, 10:40 AM   #4
Grim Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkack27
yeah i live in ca so that wont work .....but my confusion is if it stick out the extra 3/4 inch will i need to replace anything else or will the top still fit perfectly with my 73

all 73-75 tops are interchangable. This just effected how they assembled the top. I don't have a picture handy to show the difference . This is the seam where the roof attaches to walls at the top edge of the windows. Once you look at a top it will make sence.

Personnaly now that I have a soft top My 75's hard top is just sitting in the yard.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 06:35 PM   #5
Gregsmx

alkack27, check out my website and you'll see a couple of top close ups on page 3. This was during the restoration of the top. I sprayed Dominion Sureseal Gatorguard on it to replicate the original texture. It came out very nice actually.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/395081/3

I'm in TX and have an extra top, but I think you can find one closer to home. Grim reaper is right about the weight, and cumbersome shipping it would be.

Good luck finding one,
Greg.

Here's the website I'm uploading pics to: Greg's frame off project
Gregsmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 04:10 AM   #6
alkack27

thanks appreicate it ....your truck is amazing , ive admired on cardomain before!
yeah i have a top now my only problem is the original owner hunter and off road with my truck and decided to add a gas tank in my top ....about a grand to re-fiberglass it ....id rather just get a new top!!! plus other stuff to repair like rack and stuff
Old 05-11-2004, 08:42 AM   #7
GARMCo

73-75 Top on Ebay (May10-May13)

There's one on Ebay now running from May 10-May 13, price $300, located Washington state. Item # 7901866494
GARMCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 02:14 PM   #8
ItsNotABlazer
The full convertible guy

Greg what condition is your top in and how much you want for it? I have a 74 Blazer 4wd that previous owner let a large limb fall on the top and crushed it. For right price I might make a road trip to San Antonio this summer lol.

Brad
1975 GMC Jimmy 2WD lowered 4/6
1972 Chevy Trazer soon to be roadster
1965 Mustang 289/3 speed (friends dad bought it new)
1964 Chevy C10 (dad bought it new)
ItsNotABlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 09:59 PM   #9
Gregsmx

Brad, I've got 2 tops. Both are the later model with the strengthened sides. One is smooth and other is textured. The truck is in the paint shop now. I will not know which one I'll be using until we decide whether the top should be textured or smooth. This will depend on the final look we're trying to achieve, and whether we decide to put color on it, or stay white.

I should have that decision made within the next two weeks. I'll let you know at that time which one is available, and for how much. That should be just in time for your summer jaunt to SA!

I'll keep you posted.
Greg.

Here's the website I'm uploading pics to: Greg's frame off project
Gregsmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 01:36 AM   #10
slider

where in socal are you?, I got one, I'm in oceanside
slider is offline   Reply With Quote