The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2004, 03:29 AM   #1
arizona kid

Update on azkid's 1988 Burb

Well drained the tranny and replaced the filter on my 1988 Burb hoping to get the thing out of first gear (th700r4). I had no probs with pan and fluid yet didnt fix the no-shift-into-2nd problem. So , I adjusted the TV cable from highest (towards firewall) to about where it was originally set when I bought it 8 days ago. I still feel there is a slight adjustment problem.......?? Or possiblly the valves are clogged from 4 wheeling here in dirty azz Arizona So I may possibly use some detergent in new tranny fluid...what y'al think ?? Kevin
arizona kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 03:34 AM   #2
arizona kid

Oh forgot to mention, that every attempt at different settings on the adjustment of the TV cable didnt work after severaol test drives.
arizona kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 11:24 AM   #3
Grim Reaper

I don't know a lot about the 700 but that sympton on a TH350 would be either stuck valves or problem with the Govoner. I heard a 700, even manually put in first should shift out at some point was my understanding. It would do this to protect itself. That says that it's probably a stuck valve.

Does it have reverse? I think the common syptoms of them just "done" is no reverse and iffy 1st no OD.

What did the filter look like? Did it manage to suck a hole in the media and alow unfiltered fuild to run through it?

I'd start concidering dropping the valve body and cleaning it.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 01:11 AM   #4
Krosati

We had a similar problem with a 90 th400. No upshift to 2nd.
Drive the truck about 10mph and quickly shift from drive to reverse. As soon as the reverse grabs, pull to neutral. If you kill the engine, it should be ok, just don't leave it in reverse.
This should unstick the valve.
Grab a quart of transX to swell the seals in your tranny. That's most like why the valve stuck in the first place.
Krosati is offline   Reply With Quote