The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-08-2015, 11:13 AM   #1
iostorm

which of these front fenders would you purchase?

So I have decided to purchase new front fenders and a new radiator support. I am close to Summit Racing and they sell OER, Auto Metal Direct, and Goodmark fenders for my 72 c10.

I do not want to order from another vendor as shipping is outrageous, and I can simply drive to summit and pick them up, so its convenient.

Out of the three brands listed which do you feel is best, and please, no "xxx is junk because my friends cousins uncle had them and they were bad" replies, please provide only firsthand experiences.

Also those are the three choices, so it has to be one of those three.

Thank you.
iostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 11:32 AM   #2
Jrainman

Re: which of these front fenders would you purchase?

I don't know of the fitment of those fenders ,but I do know that shipping a fender in not cheep , So my vote would be Summit and if there is something you don't like about it take it back, and order one to your liking and pay the crazy freight prices on large Items
Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 11:47 AM   #3
Ironhorse

First off I would ask Summit what is their return policy due to inaccurate fit of body lines and contours as long as the fender has not been actually bolted on, primed or painted, just a test fit. Would also want to mic (micrometer) the metal thickness of an original and either of the after market fenders. I would want it to be very close, I believe original fender metal figures to be 19 gauge which you can Google to find an exact measurement thickness. I have heard good and bad on AMD and Goodmark both, no idea of OER (?) for fit, think it's at best a crap shoot looking for the "good" from the "bad" after market fenders. If at all possible repair your originals or look for some good originals. I hit many a salvage yard, swap meet, etc. when I re-stored my '71 4x4 for original GM sheet metal. Good luck with your choice.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:06 PM   #4
kcsa75

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/pts/5194558675.html
Have you talked with this guy? I looked on the map and he's in your "neighborhood."

I would be more inclined to purchase good used body parts over repops any day. I was able to find two rust-free doors and two rust-free fenders for my '72. And I knew they would fit. The same can't necessarily be said for the "new" stuff.

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:11 PM   #5
Jrainman

great find I would be on that one looks like real nice sheet metal
Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 02:00 PM   #6
firedemon

ask any body man and they will tell you there is no such thing as a perfect let alone good replacement panel even nos . some fit better than others but its purely a crap shoot as to witch one on any given day . all those companys you mentioned are of the better names but all of them are going to require some work to get them to fit the more work your willing to put in the better they will come out . all that being said your a little better than most of us in that if you put it on and its a total piece of junk you can take it back and get a different one with just a short trip
firedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 05:55 PM   #7
cooperhw

Good old original sheet metal is available. Why in the world would you buy aftermarket. I used goodmark stuff on my Chevelle only because I could not find any decent used stuff. It was pretty good, but not original. Guys like Tom K. and others sell and ship good old USA stamped metal every day.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:27 PM   #8
hugger6933

I'm not sure OER stamps any of their own stuff. I thought they were trim and soft parts. The AMD is good on some stuff and not so on others same goes for Goodmark they have had their problems and good panels as well. it has a lot to do with the age of the stamps the older they get they get worn ending up with some sloppy fitment. Be sure that you don't do anything to any panel before you hang it. Nobody will take back a panel that has been primed or painted on in any way, even if it is their fault or mistake in shipping the right part[say they send you a GMC fender in a Chevy box] if you prime it it is then wall art no matter that it was their doing. it must be nice to have a superstore like Summit that close to you that it is driving distance you can save a ton on shipping. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:28 PM   #9
hugger6933

P.S. I wouldn't be afraid to try either Goodmark or AMD. in fact I had loked into becoming dealers for both. Jim
Old 11-08-2015, 07:13 PM   #10
iostorm

My stock panels are good except for the portion in the front lower, and its only on the inside, the outside is smooth and good. I really just don't want any rust, this is why I would rather replace them, once rust starts its always there.

Everything else on my truck is near perfect, the cab and rockers dont even have surface rust, heck the bottom of the cab is still primer red.

I may send them out for media blasting and see what it comes back like, I just dont like body work, I would rather rebuild 10 motors than do body work. I like a simple remove and replace...

One other exception, the radiator support has some rust under the battery area, that will be replaced also.
iostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:30 PM   #11
EARNHARDT#3

Good luck. You need to realize that your Chinese replacement parts are made out of recycled steel. AKA steel that was already rusted. If your theory of "once rust starts its always there" is true, you'll be in the same situation.
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:34 PM   #12
71swb4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by iostorm View Post
I like a simple remove and replace.
That's not how aftermarket panels work. It's remove, replace, and then modify so that it actually fits. I think more experienced body men will chime in and tell you how much work it really is. But remove and replace is not an accurate way to describe using aftermarket panels. Yes, they can save time and money in many cases, but it's not a bolt on and spray the paint type of deal.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:37 PM   #13
cdowns

me i'd go to the springfield swap meet and buy originals if I were in your boat
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:46 PM   #14
hugger6933

I had an aftermarket fender [for a car] that didn't even fit the door profile. I took my trusty die grinder and made pie cuts to the inside of the structure and then laid in on the floor and walked [I was about 375 lbs at the time] along the rear edge to change the rear fender profile. After finally getting it where I wanted [I hung that fender at least a dozen times] I welded it all back up and then worked the damage away. That is just one small horror story to get one to fit. I seen things man, things that shouldn't have to happen. But I did buy a set of fenders for a customers truck in the shop right now and they hung real pretty like[but they weren't on the list of what Summit carries.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:35 PM   #15
bpatrol

I bought through summit 2 67 fenders amd. They had a ding or 2 but otherwise okay you will need to tweak them a little. Not to much but alittle. Overall I'm happy with the fitment.
bpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote