The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-02-2014, 06:14 PM   #1
Tree-50

Bolt pattern pros/cons

Have a 6 lug, drums all around, no booster on my 68. Will be swapping discs in the front but haven't decided if I want to go 5 lug or stay 6?

My girl's dad said he has a rearend, probably out of his camaro at one point that does have posi trac and is 5 lug, though I don't know the gears or the actual pattern, if 5x5 or what. Or if it'll even fit, it's a 68 z28, if it's actually out of that car.

Are there any advantages of switching to 5 lug?

I really want to run a smoothie style, baby moon setup if that makes a difference.

Also, if anyone has run the mcgaugheysuspension conversion, that let's you keep all your year model parts, ball joints, arms etc and could offer any insight to if they like it or not? That is why I haven't pulled the discs out of a 72 or anything. Didn't want to have a frankentruck if that makes sense.
Tree-50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:08 PM   #2
RManson

Re: Bolt pattern pros/cons

Lots more wheel options for Chevy passenger car bolt pattern (5x4 3/4") than 6 lug.
RManson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:18 PM   #3
Mike C

I'm all for the 5 lug swap. Many more wheel and brake options. But I am NOT a fan of going to the lighter duty car components with the 4 3/4" bolt pattern.

I've got a '69 short step that I am converting to 5 lug. I'll pull the original 3.73 gears and posi and swap into a junkyard '71 housing I picked up. But my personal opinion is the car components are NOT the way to go.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:06 PM   #4
Tree-50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
I'm all for the 5 lug swap. Many more wheel and brake options. But I am NOT a fan of going to the lighter duty car components with the 4 3/4" bolt pattern.

I've got a '69 short step that I am converting to 5 lug. I'll pull the original 3.73 gears and posi and swap into a junkyard '71 housing I picked up. But my personal opinion is the car components are NOT the way to go.
Right, I would definitely go with the 5x5. If I go ahead and get their 2.5" drop spindles since they're needed for the brake swap, will that affect the springs? I'm not going to be bagging for awhile but I do want to drive the truck in the next month or so, so I will be replaceing steering components and some suspension, like the springs and shocks. Should I go ahead and get shorter shocks as well or will stock shocks work with bags? (not shelling out the money for drop springs etc)
Tree-50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:07 PM   #5
RManson

If one is to be concerned with the bolt pattern being up to handling the load, I'd be looking at lug diameter before I concerned myself with the bolt circle. Do you really think a 5-inch bolt circle is that much stronger than a 4 3/4-inch?

If you're not planning on towing or hauling large loads, just look at the weight of some of the vehicles based on 5x4 3/4-inch bolt patterns and compare them with the weight of our trucks.
RManson is offline   Reply With Quote