The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2004, 03:51 PM   #1
'70 C/10 SS500

Calling all Arizona Residents...

I'm considering moving to Phoenix and I would like to know what the smog laws are. From what I have found, it looks as though all vehicles newer than '66 are required to be smogged. Is this true? I don't want to have to do a bunch of stuff to my 70 C/10 or any other cars for that matter. In short, is Arizona a hot rod friendly state or do the Smog Nazis have control?
'70 C/10 SS500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 04:00 PM   #2
68CST327

I think the smog laws in AZ are even more strict than in CA... yet they allow any transport trucks from Mexico to roll into the country with any amount of pollution they can create.
68CST327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 04:45 PM   #3
demi

I think Az is somewhat hotrod friendly since there are no inspections, but I don't like having the emissions test performed before the vehicle can be registered. I really don't think the test itself is that bad though. Some think the test is tough, but I have never had a problem just don't like it. It goes according to the year of the vehicle. If your vehicle did have certain smog elements from the factory, they will do the equipment check. The only check performed on my 69 is the gas cap.

This is from the dot: ADEQ

"Unless specifically exempted, all 1967 and newer vehicles (including diesels) that are registered in the metro Phoenix (Area A) or Tucson (Area B) emission test areas must receive an emissions inspection no more than 90 days prior to registration."

Oh, I forgot to mention that I moved here from Pennsylvania, so to me the Az laws are no way strict to what I'm used to.

Hope this helps,

demi

Last edited by demi; 11-30-2004 at 05:08 PM.
demi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 06:26 PM   #4
Zonaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68CST327
I think the smog laws in AZ are even more strict than in CA... yet they allow any transport trucks from Mexico to roll into the country with any amount of pollution they can create.
Actually Arizona's not so bad. But don't take my word for it. Want to know who's got the meanest in the world? Check here . In Arizona you have tests in Pima & Maricopa counties. If there's another someone at Arizona Dept. of Environmental Quality will tell you. I believe the legislature is currently considering a bill to set a "rolling emissions test date" whereby any vehicle 25 year old or greater is exempt from testing.

Hey it's a great place to live. Just ask the mobs of California refugees that have moved here!
Old 11-30-2004, 08:36 PM   #5
68CST327

No doubt. I HATE California. I can't wait to get out. I'm thinking of Idaho. I'd better get there before more Californians flee the state. Doesn't surprise me about the smog laws here either... freaking state government here is filled with commies... but that's another discussion completely.
68CST327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 10:36 AM   #6
ckhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68CST327
I think the smog laws in AZ are even more strict than in CA...
That's why there are two types of cars sold, "Federal Emissions" and "Arizona Emissions"... Oh, wait, I guess that's "California Emissions".

Anyway, AZ isn't too bad. I haven't tried to register any of my old vehicles in PHX, but basically if it's running right, you should pass emissions. If it originally had a smog pump or something like that, they will check to see if it's there.

Fortunately, I don't live in Maricopa or Pima counties and don't have to worry about the emissions test.

1968 K20 fleet
1969 K10 swb fleet
1972 K10 Suburban
1972 C10 lwb step
1992 K1500 'burb
1995 K2500 'burb
1997 C1500 'burb
1999 K1500
2000 K1500 'burb

Why do I own so many Suburbans?
ckhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 10:45 AM   #7
72moneypit

If your engine is in fair shape and tuned up you shouldn't have any problem.

A few years ago I had a single bad cylinder that, regardless of how much tuning I did, would not pass the Hydrocarbon portion of the inspection. I ended up rebuilding the entire engine since it was due for it anyway. Now I pass inspection with no trouble.
72moneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 06:21 AM   #8
'68OrangeSunshine

The test quotients in Pima County are not as stringent as CAL's. My 5 year old crate motor 350 in the '71 Jimmy passes OK. So did my old L6 in the '68 stepside. [And after 250,000 miles it blew a blue smokescreen behind it wherever it went.]I used to have a hot rodded up '67 Suburban K/10 with a 454 big block. For some reason, that bad boy had problems whenever I tried to go thru emissions. Gas caps, PCV valves, overheating, stalling, all will disqualify you. I got the impression they turned up the "F.U. Meter" whenever that beast rollled into their stalls. Usually it was in the carburation.
It now costs you $12.25 to ADEQ for one pass and a retest, if you flunk. A third test will cost you the fee again. It is also possible to get a one time only waiver, good for a year. That's where "Whitefang" was at when the engine went down on a road trip and I had to retire it.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 12:50 PM   #9
Peregrine

Wow, I must be taking Kentucky forgranted. We're not tested for anything and the only inspections we "might" have include checking to see if all the lights work. lol. Our new state slogan is "Unbridled Spirit" More like "Unbridled Motors" Ohhh yeahhh and why do states need to advertise? It's so stupid.

Let the world change you and you will change the world.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote