The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2019, 12:04 AM   #1
izzy_Britton

03 Tahoe Front Windows Not Working

New to me 2003 Tahoe:

the front door windows are not working at all. the driver door master switch will operate the rear windows just fine but not the fronts. when i click the front window switch the only thing that happens is that the right door makes a clicking noise kind of like a relay is clicking but the windows (either window) will not operate.

i have tested this with a known good working master switch and a known good passenger switch with the same results.

the problem with the clicking noise is that i am unable to click the master switch and isolate the clicking noise on the other side of the truck at the same time (arms not long enough) and i have no one at the moment to help me out.

any clue what would cause ONLY the front door windows to not operate? If i didnt mention it, the rear windows work just fine.

thanks in advance

Izzy
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:03 AM   #2
greasemonkey

Re: 03 Tahoe Front Windows Not Working

Are you sure the motors are good on those windows? The fronts always seem to go first since they get used more often.
1987 Jimmy
2004 Tahoe
2005 Silverado 1500
2005 Silverado 3500
greasemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:40 PM   #3
izzy_Britton

honestly no, i cannot be sure that the motors are good. i will double check them tomorrow. dude did say that they worked before he pulled the door panels off.
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
Old 09-01-2019, 08:09 PM   #4
AussieinNC

Sounds like either the mechanisms in the front doors are toast....or the master switch wiring is not plugged on correctly....

If the mechanisms are toast, I use the ones off of Amazon....most economical really....about half the price of most auto marts...

Easy to replace....about 30 mins per door....

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:42 PM   #5
izzy_Britton

UPDATE:

As strange as it sounds to me, because i have bought 25+ of these trucks in the past 5 years, and never one time had a problem with a window motor, BOTH window motors were bad.

I popped the door panels off and hooked 12 Volts to the motors and all they did was fizzle pop and smoke. not only are they bad but they were a fire hazard.

I bought some Dorman replacement regulators with motors and just swapped them out whole. Problem solved.

I will mention that i am not fond of the dorman regulators. they are supposed to be a direct replacement which they pretty much seem to be. However the quality is lacking as they seem to be very cheaply made and they are missing one complete mount point when bolting them up. I would probably rathered to have just the motors and replaced only the motors if that is even possible? I saved the bad regulators just to see if i can pull the motors off and replace them with new dorman units, maybe on another project.