The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-11-2011, 08:25 AM   #14
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Steering Column Gripe:71 Jimmy

Well I got fixed. The left front Spring/Axle u-bolts weren't on tight enough. [PO's hack job axle swap... Not torque-ing to spec?] Anyway we measured the distances from the front shackle to the axle mounts on both sides. The drivers side was loose and showed about an inch-and-a-half travel and was longer than the passenger side. So we tensioned the axle until it was in line and then re-torqued it to 150 Ft/Lbs. [My buddy used the 1967 Shop Manual while I was on the phone. Didn't want to change it bact to the '71 spec 120 Ft/Lbs after the fact.]
Also R+R'd the intermediate steering shaft with a piece cannibalized from my other Blazer [a '72 project] . A couple of weeks ago the P/S gear box was found to have 3 of 4 bolts loose on it too. Rag Joint looked good. Jimmy's all together now and it steers tight and precise with no wander or wobble. Steering wheel on straight and at 12 O'Clock. When I get time I'll explore the old steering intermediate coupler shaft and see what went wrong.
Thanks for your input, guys.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 02-11-2011 at 08:31 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote