The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2020, 10:26 PM   #76
74project

Re: 90 crew 1 ton Cummins 47re swap

This is going to run to the gas fill.. not sure how it's going to work out. I did coat it with por15 gas tank sealer and will paint it after I find out where to put a mounting tab. The bung is for the return line from the tank.
Attached Images

74project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 06:32 PM   #77
74project

Well she drives... been awhile since an update.. found 13" grade a bolts for the bed. The other bolts that came with the 1" body lift didn't work because I boxed in the frame. 15$ a bolt. Waiting on the transmission plate to make a heavy duty crossmember. Hopefully I can get that done this weekend. It it is stalling during ideal when I drove it around the block but I turned up the ideal. Have not tried it since.

Funny story. I forgot to put the bolts in the flywheel..it was a horrible howl. Embarrassing. Hopefully it didn't bend the new flywheel.. owell.
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2020, 10:09 PM   #78
74project

Transmission cross member..
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2020, 10:40 PM   #79
74project

It turned out heavy duty..driveline goes in tomorrow..have to wire the fans, put front bumper on, and exhaust then she is driving.
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2020, 10:19 PM   #80
74project

Putting the driveline in.. had a problem finding a 1 1/2" socket. Then finding the correct size seal..made 3 trips to local auto and orielleys...ordered one from az let's c if she fits..
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2020, 07:48 AM   #81
74project

We have a cool exhaust shop here that has everything that u could think of...picked up some 4" for cheap. They have a ll the bends u need so just loaded up and took back what I didn't use.. something to be said about shopping locally.
Today is the day I tow her down to a professional mechanic or i get it figured out. Having difficulty with the trans not getting out of first gear. Have to check fluid levels and re-read the instructions for the stand alone controller..everything thing else can wait until she drives.. the steering is amazing. Tires look way 2 small have to put a lean on my house for 37's 440 a tire.. ouch.
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2020, 03:39 PM   #82
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Looking nice. What controller and trans are you running again?
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 03:02 AM   #83
74project

The etrans controller with the 47re.. had some wires mixed i think..so its not shifting right. Hopefully I get it sorted out tomorrow. Also didn't put a big enough vent on fuel tank and after a while its losing prime..i think.. still at it though..
Old 10-07-2020, 12:14 AM   #84
74project

Well there are 2 leaks that are drowning my HOA bill! This swap was difficult to say the least. Very different from a crate ls3 or 5.3. Many other variables that come into play when you are not a mechanic. When you work one part of the equations along with another you have to start all over and keep putting different schematics together. If that makes sense? What I am trying to say is that a LS3 7k$ shipped to your house is a true turn key. A 12V has many variables for those non-mechanics slash garage doers... for instance overflow valves, fuel pressure, turbo, boost pressure, trans-controller. Ive been driving for several weeks (to Work and HD)(Home Depot). So far not producing the HP I thought it would for the denero but still figuring out the turbo actuator and turbo itself.
LS3's are all the hype in a quick gratifying accomplishment. 12 valves are a long slow .... well you know what I mean... The springs are truly amazing from off road, I drives CADIEEESH over bumps. So far when I have called the trans control when problems arise and they have called me back and have been helpful for the controller. But something in me thinks it could be better. Makes me think of the more expensive brands when I drive which kinda sucks not knowing if the performance is different from one to the other. Those finishing swaps understand. FASS has been a nightmare! I should of listened to the folks on here. Forums matter. Opinions matter and you should take account for them no matter the opposition. It is working now but they do not like the custom lines i made. Transmission lines are fine no leaks but the suction does not do well with FASS for some reason for me and there is no difference on how I made all 4 lines.

In part she is cool. Much more work for myself and only speaking on my experiences (when people talk only one person they are talking about and that's themselves.)
I am still torn besides the torque monster and the light weight aluminum block ls3.

To go back would a 4l80 and ls3 compare to the 1100 pound monster..... I don't know! I will stay in contact but if I was to say today with experiences in both it would be NO.

Hope it helps my fellow brothers out there decide between Trump and Biden but not the same as a ls3 and 12V..just wanted to get your attention. Thank you for all your help.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:19 PM   #85
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

What have you done to your fuel system and have you done any pump tuning? What is you timing at? I have grown to hate FASS systems the last couple of years. Everyone I have sold or installed , the owners have issues with them loosing prime etc. Me personally, I don't know if I would switch over to a 4L80E. They don't hold up without a lot of money sunk into them. I'd either put an anteater controller on the 47re, or see if you can get your current setup working better. Those dodge pcm's shift the 47re like poo from the get go IMO. Also IMO, a 12v swap is way better in a heavy truck that an LS but I am biased.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote