The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-01-2005, 02:14 PM   #26
robertwb

I was refering to info published by David Vizard-the comparison was done with Brzezinski ported manifolds and the 65% was the result after much testing on many different engine combos-I'd love to have the money to do my own testing but ...

both the truck style and corvette rams horns are being reproduced over seas now and I've seen the truck style for less than $100 a pair and both types with BIN prices around $90ea just about anytime you look-I don't know about the quality but at least they are new castings (not 30+ yrs old)
1972 datsun PL-521/nissan
robertwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 10:46 PM   #27
inline6Bill
A classic GM kinda guy

I'll weigh in on this myself. I will always use headers on any engine I build, provided that they are designed correctly for the application intended, are truly equal length primaries, and are designed and built with plug and header bolt access in mind. There is a great article that Chevy High Performance did about headers and manifolds that Headers by Ed reprints in his information packets; you must really read this article. Also, read the information from Headers by Ed, you will also be convinced that you can build headers that are SOOO much better than anything on the market. And yes, I proudly build my own headers !!!

"If you can find a better vehicle, buy it" Lee Iacocca, Chrysler commercials of the '80s.
"I did. They are called Classic GM pickups !!!"
inline6Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 12:36 AM   #28
robertwb

I see you're playing with a 6 so this won't apply

I've seen different views on the equal length headers

Ed says it's a "must have" but that's not entirely true the way I understand it-it would be IF a SBC ran like 2 inline 4s,but it doesn't(it's like 2 V-4s) so you don't have evenly spaced pulses on each bank-you'd need cross over headers(like they had on the old GT40) to do it right

David Vizard says the same thing-just look at it this way-with unequal length headers each cylinder has it's peak at a different RPM point which helps widen the powerband-which is much more desirable and useful than a peak tuned racing engine in a big heavy truck
1972 datsun PL-521/nissan
robertwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 02:44 PM   #29
kolectrkev

Thanks for all the replies I think I'll stay with the ram horns and put dual 70 series flowmasters on.
kolectrkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 03:33 PM   #30
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

Headers are probably the Number 1 quick improvement you can make to free up Spent up Horsepower. It frees up Exhaust gases, Which will give quicker and More RPM,s. on a 6 Cylinder, you buy a set that comes out dualed, put a set of 18" Glasspacks on, and exit just before the rear end, Out the sides or dropped at the rear end.. Sounds Sweet !!!...
I have never had a set of headers that caused the starter problem ?? But I have known a few that did.
I don't remember the headers I have on my truck now, I think Summit.. They're over 10 years old and do not leak. I cut the flanges, And tighten and RE-TIGHTEN the header bolts a couple of times after the engine has been warmed to operating temperatures.

You can also Soak the standard Header Gaskets in water for a little while before install, That will allow the gaskets to compress while being tightened, But still ""Re-tighten"" after warm up..
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 04:19 PM   #31
inline6Bill
A classic GM kinda guy

Let's clear the air out (pun intented)

robertwb:

Yes, I do inline 6's, as well as have done and continue to do V8's as well. My questions to you and others who do not believe in equal length headers is this:

1. When were the laws of physics suspended or overturned ?

Let's see if I get this straight. You are building an engine for a vehicle. You have blueprinted every component going into the engine, making sure that you have AS CLOSE TO EQUAL measurements in cylinder head volume,bearing clearances,etc. You have purchased an intake system that has NEARLY EQUAL distribution to all cylinders. You have cylinder heads that flow properly for the intended application. You have a camshaft with EQUAL intake and exhaust durations and lift for EACH CYLINDER. NOW, you are going to THROW AWAY all of that getting EQUAL performance from every cylinder BY USING UNEQUAL LENGTH HEADERS !!!

As for David Vizard and his assessment on headers: He is right about the operation of Chevrolet V8 as far as firing order and exhaust pulses, but he seems to forget about the stuff I have mentioned above. Also, this idea by Mr. Vizard flies against the wisdom of people like the late John Lingenfelter, the late Henry "Smokey" Yunick, Jere Stahl (the first builder of 4 into 1 headers, by the way), and Ed Henneman. I would HIGHLY SUGGEST getting the information pack that Headers by Ed sells, ESPECIALLY the article reprint from Chevy High Performance magazine, where Ed's equal length headers BEAT a competitor's un-equal length headers by AS MUCH AS 50 HORSEPOWER, a 12 % GAIN BY JUST EQUAL LENGTH HEADERS ALONE !!! And, by the way, THESE HEADERS WERE NOT DESIGNED FOR THE ENGINE THEY WERE TESTED ON, AND NO TUNING WAS DONE AT ALL !!!

Unequal length headers on my vehicle: NEVER !!!!

"If you can find a better vehicle, buy it" Lee Iacocca, Chrysler commercials of the '80s.
"I did. They are called Classic GM pickups !!!"
inline6Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 08:49 PM   #32
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

Just wondering about the vette horns, I tried a set on my 283 and the exhaust guys couldnt get a bend in the pipe that severe on the driver side because of the front crossmember, I had to by new ones from LMC. I do not care for headers, no matter what they always have leaked on me.....
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
68 GMC Suburban was 3/4 ton, now 1/2.Wife shook her head
71 C30 Wrecker
71 C20 Scott-Bilt As weird as it gets..BB Cheyenne AC Truck
68 GMC Long Stepside. They keep following me home
71 C20 Longhorn/Ole Yellor
69 C30 Former Motor Home, Flat Bed time
71meangreenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 09:22 PM   #33
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

I have header's and ram horn's... Header's are more work and manifold's you can just install and leave em alone...

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 09:44 PM   #34
kwmech

I will stick to ram horns myself also, my truck operates in the 1200 to 3500 rpm range not very often I want to take it up to 4500 rpm to gain 17 hp.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 04:15 AM   #35
68w/sbc406
Got Light Emitting Diode?

i am at 4500 everytime i drive mine

'02 Chevy Silverado LT ext cab short bed 2WD 5/7 drop on 22's(the family car)

1993 Cherokee work ride/weekend wheeler
68w/sbc406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 10:01 AM   #36
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech
I will stick to ram horns myself also, my truck operates in the 1200 to 3500 rpm range not very often I want to take it up to 4500 rpm to gain 17 hp.

A smaller diameter tube header will help build Torque along with H.P. At a lower R.P.M.
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote