The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 60-66 Suburbans

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2024, 05:03 PM   #1
RyanAK

1962 K14 GMC Suburban

Watch this space. Photos from the seller on the opposite coast.

Been a long time lookin’…
Attached Images

Meet 'Earl', '71 C10 Suburban - Sold, but not forgotten...

Meet... yet to be named, ‘78 K10 Suburban Daily Driver
RyanAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 11:21 AM   #2
LT7A

Re: 1962 K14 GMC Suburban

Mostly solid and fairly straight. You're gonna have fun.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 12:15 PM   #3
RyanAK

You bet. It’s actually really dry and dents don’t bother me too much. I’ve been planning this build for years. Turns out it’s in Olympia and it’s going to Seattle Speed Shop up in Edison. So once it’s on the road, ya just might get a peek!

Goal is a solid, honest survivor that is mostly period correct hat will get used for truck things. Hunt-fish-camp with kids and dogs. Also… MPGs that won’t make me cry.

Another interior shot. Needs a good scrubbing and seat covers. We’ll see how far we take it.

And some representative pics from underneath.
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2024, 11:06 PM   #4
cwcarpenter98

Congrats on the find! I hope that you will try to return the seats to original. Really cool that the vinyl part of the seat matches the exterior color on the GMCs

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 09:44 AM   #5
RyanAK

Thanks, man. We’ll see what can be done with the seats. I’m committed to keeping the originals (no late model swap), and we’ll see what can be done with the covers. I may just do an “Economy” sprucing up with some plain covers until I can source and afford the materials to restore correctly. This is a truck for me, so don’t want it too nice so I’m not afraid to do truck things.

Motor is at the shop. Looking for a transmission and transfer case. This has squarebody axles with 3.73 gears.

Trying to decide how to approach the exterior. Again… truck quality finish so I can still use it as a truck.

Steel wheels. Likely tall skinnies for tires. Could use suggestions/advice here.

This will be fun!

Old 01-19-2024, 10:34 PM   #6
cwcarpenter98

It looks to me that there's a lot of original paint still left on this one. My thoughts are to consider leaving as much of the original paint as possible, but fixing any rust issues it does have. I definitely would want to fix the driver's front fender. It might be a little more expense, but if you could get someone to blend in the repairs to match the remainder of the original paint, it would look really good.

If you are going for more of the stock look, tall skinnies would fit the bill for sure. Another good option would be some 15x8 steel wheels that would let you go with some wider tires if desired, but could still have some of that stock look. I'm running 15x8s with 30x9.5s on my 63 currently, and I really like that look. It's not a 4x4 though.

You could potentially do the build in two stages. Stage 1 would be get it running, make it look a little better but still keep it original paint, and drive it a bunch while saving up for stage 2. Stage 2 would be the full restoration of whatever direction you want to go with it.

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 11:05 PM   #7
RyanAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
It looks to me that there's a lot of original paint still left on this one. My thoughts are to consider leaving as much of the original paint as possible, but fixing any rust issues it does have. I definitely would want to fix the driver's front fender. It might be a little more expense, but if you could get someone to blend in the repairs to match the remainder of the original paint, it would look really good.

If you are going for more of the stock look, tall skinnies would fit the bill for sure. Another good option would be some 15x8 steel wheels that would let you go with some wider tires if desired, but could still have some of that stock look. I'm running 15x8s with 30x9.5s on my 63 currently, and I really like that look. It's not a 4x4 though.

You could potentially do the build in two stages. Stage 1 would be get it running, make it look a little better but still keep it original paint, and drive it a bunch while saving up for stage 2. Stage 2 would be the full restoration of whatever direction you want to go with it.
Thanks for the input. We are going to repair the fender and blend the paint. The goal is to save as much as possible. Matt has the skills. Once we get the truck to his shop in Edison, we’ll get eyeballs on everything and make an assessment. The dents don’t bother me… neither does thin OG paint with primer showing. But rust terrifies me. Thins tend to deteriorate quickly here in PA, so I’m going to make every effort to preserve and protect what seems to be a pretty dry truck.

That fender was damaged, not rusted out btw… so it should be straightforward to repair and blend the paint.

The hood seems to be the worst part with regards to bare metal and surface rust. That will be the biggest challenge to get protected while matching the character of the rest of the truck. I’m not sure yet what our plan will be. It keeps me awake at night. Ha.

Wheels and tires… maybe I’ll fall into some 16” 6-lug steelies. Har! Likely going with a tall skinny. I like the stock look on these rigs. Maybe a little taller. With the engine and transmission this rig is getting were shooting for a pretty specific rpm range at cruising speed to maximize fuel mileage. We’ll see how that works out.

I’ve attached a few pics that I’m using for inspiration for this build.
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2024, 08:43 PM   #8
RyanAK

I’m looking to run a 30”-32” skinny tire. Any suggestions? I have 15” 6-lug rims right now, but desperately looking for 16”ers.

Old 01-22-2024, 05:53 PM   #9
kchampagne

Very nice Burb! I think I have 4 extra 16s if you are interested. They are from out west and in good shape. I recently moved to Mountain Top, so not too far from you.

Ken
kchampagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 06:20 PM   #10
RyanAK

Mountain Top, PA?? Shoot me a PM.

Old 02-02-2024, 02:43 PM   #11
RyanAK

On the trailer…
Attached Images