The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2019, 11:16 PM   #1
SCOTI

Lunati EFI Flat Tappet Cams (SBC)

Has anyone used one of these cams & care to offer your experience?

I was gifted a used 400 from a buddy that passed away last year (817 2-bolt block, dished cast pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 200/64cc, Eddy Perf RPM, 1 5/8 headers, 2.5 dual h-pipe exhaust out of a 71 El Camino). A buddy & I recently tore into the motor & found it's in need of some love. Seems it saw some excessive spray more than once & was missing 1/4 of the crown on one piston (yet still had cylinder pressure when we tested LoL).

Since the OE 305/2bbl/th350 in the Bu isn't exactly a threat & gets about 10mpg w/city driving, I'm toying w/the idea of going to a local rebuilders I've used before & get a fresh short block w/flat tops vs. the dished pistons @ no difference in the cost. This is a very budget deal w/parts already on hand & I'll use some new/old AFR 190 Street heads w/74cc combustion chambers. I've been researching cams & when doing the engine calcs, I get within 10hp using one of these Lunati EFI flat tappets vs budget (Howards) Hyd Roller spec cams. The flat tappet approach is <$250; the HYD Roller ~ $725. The one that seems to be the right fit: 280/290 ADV; 230/240 @.050; .489/.520 w/1.5's; 112LSA/108ICL.

This would be a 100% 'street/torque' build. No racing intended/expected.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:56 PM   #2
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: Lunati EFI Flat Tappet Cams (SBC)

That's a pretty rowdy cam. In my 355 I have a Lunati Bracket Master II (flat tappet) 292 and it is a 230 @ .050 and .480 lift, with a 108 Lobe Center. It lopes like hell and has great top end pull. have a 3,000 RPM stall with headers and an Edelbrock Performer RPM Airgap manifold with a Holley carb. I love the cam, but I'm used to driving rigs with big cams and loose converters.

What is your transmission?

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:01 PM   #3
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
That's a pretty rowdy cam. In my 355 I have a Lunati Bracket Master II (flat tappet) 292 and it is a 230 @ .050 and .480 lift, with a 108 Lobe Center. It lopes like hell and has great top end pull. have a 3,000 RPM stall with headers and an Edelbrock Performer RPM Airgap manifold with a Holley carb. I love the cam, but I'm used to driving rigs with big cams and loose converters.

What is your transmission?

Gary
TH350 is the current trans. Looking for a 200-4r or a 4l80e to have built... or .... depending on that cost, it's not out of the realm to receive a 3rd pedal.

Seems the additional cubes tame the characteristics listed on sbc cams according to research. I've been looking up info & 230-235 intake duration is a good call for 400's w/decent flowing heads from stuff/articles I've read .
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 11-18-2019 at 11:08 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:37 PM   #4
Tom
driving is in my blood

Sounds like a nice mid range combo honestly.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:39 PM   #5
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
TH350 is the current trans. Looking for a 200-4r or a 4l80e to have built... or .... depending on that cost, it's not out of the realm to receive a 3rd pedal.

Seems the additional cubes tame the characteristics listed on sbc cams according to research. I've been looking up info & 230-235 intake duration is a good call for 400's w/decent flowing heads from stuff/articles I've read .
Ah crud... I missed that you were dropping it in a 400. That should be a great cam for what you intend it for!

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote