The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2020, 10:19 PM   #1
C.I.Blazer

First Time Top Off - And a question...

Even though summer is winding to a close, I really wanted to get the top off my blazer. Partly to get a few drives in now that I have the truck running, but I was also a bit nervous to see the condition of the bed rails and the top of the windshield frame since I bought the truck without seeing them. Overall I think it looks pretty good, what do you think. There is some type of old sealant on top of the windshield but all the metal appears solid.

My next project is to replace my inner and outer rockers and any other metal that needs to be replaced in that area. I think (hope) my torsion boxes may be in good enough shape to save. I have replaced the body mounts and plan to bolt the top back on to help line everything up before I start.

My questions is regarding the nuts in the double wall top that are used to bolt it down. Of the six on each side, I only have three on one side and four on the other that work. Three holes have stuck broken bolts in them and a couple are just an empty hole. To make matters worse, I have already broken off two extractors in the bolts trying to get them out which of course makes them impossible to drill out.

I guess right now I just need a temporary fix so I can work on the rockers. My goal was to take the top off next summer and attempt a more major rebuild.

On the plus side, I guess anything I do is better that the four sheet rock screws that were holding the top on when I got it

Thanks for the help.
Attached Images

C.I.Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 04:46 PM   #2
1rippen6

Re: First Time Top Off - And a question...

The nuts are just flat bar drilled and tapped. My suggestion would be drill the spot welds out of the cage itself and the assembly will drop out. You can then bolt down temporarily with a bolt washer and nut. I can get you pictures tomorrow of what you are telling with. Wire brush the ends of the cage, that seems to be the easiest way to find the spot welds. Hope that helps, if it's not clear ask away and I will try and make sense of it, lol.
1rippen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:02 AM   #3
litebulblsc

He has a double wall top
litebulblsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:16 AM   #4
C.I.Blazer

Yes, sorry. Should have specified that it is a double wall top. The description wasn't making any sense to me. Any ideas on a quick fix for the double wall top or am I out of luck till I can rebuild the whole thing?
Old 09-09-2020, 08:42 AM   #5
1rippen6

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.I.Blazer View Post
Yes, sorry. Should have specified that it is a double wall top. The description wasn't making any sense to me. Any ideas on a quick fix for the double wall top or am I out of luck till I can rebuild the whole thing?
Oh, I see that now!! I have an idea for that also but will type it in another post
Old 09-09-2020, 10:04 PM   #6
1rippen6

The bolts that hold the double wall top on are 5/16, the plate in the top is riveted in. My thought was to drill out to 5/16 which will take most of the bolt out if centered and retap 3/8. I think the rivets and the way the plate is set in the top that it will hold. Again, I have never tried this, just thought it could be an easier fix then trying to remove broken bolts. I have replaced the plated but its not fun either. I've drilled the rivets out and left the plate drop into the top. I then elongated the bolt hole to fish a new plate in, using a piece of wire through one of the rivet holes. I used a pick though the other rivet hole to position the plate to get a bolt started. I then removed the pick, cut the wire and installed pop rivets. It was not a fun job but I did get them replaced. FYI the very back plates are a different shape then the rest. Hope that helps and makes sense.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:09 PM   #7
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Any chance there is a double wall replacement top locally available? Just brainstorming- in the not too distance past these were not terribly expensive.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:10 PM   #8
harrisoncole4

If you decide to do a more significant repair to the double wall top mounting points, I suggest doing something along the lines of what was done on my top. Check out posts #55-57
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=802858&page=3

In theory it makes the top a lot safer, and should eliminate the bolt breaking issues that is quite common in the double wall tops.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:33 PM   #9
C.I.Blazer

Sorry for the delay in response, but I got sidetracked getting my new seats installed

Thanks for all the advise. I would like to find a new top as mine also has a terrible sunroof installed into it. I will keep my eyes open for one, but the last one I saw for sale was $1000. And it was a double wall! Definitely not in the budget.

In the meantime, I followed 1rippen6's suggestion and fixed a couple of holes tonight. All in all it did not take me that long. Not the prettiest repair, but good enough that I can get the top bolted down solidly enough for my rust repair work.

Next summer when the top comes off again, I would like to attempt something a little better and hopefully get rid of the sunroof. Harrisoncole4, that looks like an amazing repair job. Would love to see more pics if you have any.

Thanks again!
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2020, 12:19 AM   #10
1rippen6

Wow, it looks fine, I actually made the slots the opposite direction but like your idea better. I was expecting to see 3/8 holes tapped in the one plates.
Old 10-09-2020, 08:13 PM   #11
Gary 70 Jimmy

Looks like some one had a soft top on it that why the bolts are broke or missing must have just put the top back on be for they sold it and couldn't find all the bolts.

1972 GMC Jimmy 1/2 4X4 4wheel camper
1970 GMC Jimmy 1/2 4X4 350
1969 Chevy Blazer 1/2 4X4 307
1967 chevy LWB 3/4 396
Gary 70 Jimmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:40 PM   #12
C.I.Blazer

Yes, I got what may be an original soft top with it as well. Haven't messed around with it yet. I did get the top back on this evening. All the repairs I made went well but there were about 4 original holes that I could not get lined up.

Have to admit it was kind of a pain to get it back on. Any tricks or modifications to make it easier? I imagine once I do it a few times it will get easier but sure like the idea of full time soft top. Unfortunately our weather in the pacific northwest is not really conducive to that.

When I redo the top I wonder if there is a way to modify it for easier attachment.