The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-17-2020, 10:12 AM   #1
Scott2

Stp?

Thought about STP Oil Treatment this morning for no reason - who still uses this stuff?

About a hundred years ago when I was younger I used it for all the cars I had with crappy rings and loose everything in the motors, used in a few times for assembly lube, and sometimes just cause I listened to the ads.

My worst offense with it - although pretty clever I thought at the time - was when I was buying, selling, and swapping cars a lot. I traded for a '64 Dodge hippie van with a straight 6 that turned out to get about 4 miles to a quart of oil. I was commuting to Cal State Long Beach for college and could barely get to class without taking a case of oil with me!

I switched to 4-1/2 quarts of STP and 1/2 quart of oil! That got rid of the giant cloud of smoke out the back (but not the one coming out of the inside of the van with a bunch of classic rock pouring out of the 8 track and giant box speakers) and held it together long enough for me to trade it to a guy for a '66 Nova.

Just curious if there's a good use anymore? It is sticky and slippery as hell so why not?