The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2006, 09:25 PM   #1
barepaint

debate y/not...new skool/old skool

Lets debate why new skool/why old skool...old sckool is simple! now lets here new skool...add on boys and girls schools in session
barepaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:33 PM   #2
Jebb1978

Re: debate y/not...new skool/old skool

New school although more costly and complicated has higher versatility. Look at the old tubbed out street rod Vs. the sleek daily driver that will run the same ET but still has all the comfort and more control. I am all about vintage but tech has really stepped up the street game IMHO.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:45 PM   #3
barepaint

Well I'm not against new school...once I was new sckool yea 25 yrs ago...these kids put out some nice rides...after all the kids started hotroding and muscle...but the simple old school is nice and with just a slight middle sckool tech...the ride can be versital...s#$t talking sckool and can't even spell lol

Last edited by barepaint; 06-16-2006 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:57 PM   #4
clif1968

Old school all the way, plain simple horsepower, big rat or a screemin' mouse, fed with a double pumper and breathin' out open hedders. You can keep your 20s and your in the weeds bumpers, I'll take N50x15s and lots o' rake anyday!

'68 C/10 LWB, 327, TH400, 12 bolt
clif1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:11 PM   #5
barepaint

solid...pretty good tidbit...mine are sixteens almost like L 60's and I like the roar of duals...with riceburner pipes...what is with that noisy man annoying
Old 06-16-2006, 10:52 PM   #6
cdowns

i look at anything with a overhead valve V-8 as new school
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 12:16 AM   #7
Blue85
Oilfield Trash

old skool and new skool mix is the way i like em, basic old skool looks, with some nice features, like new style buckets and those power windows that use the original crank handle
80 GMC K10 High Sierra bone stock
70 Chevelle 350SS long term project
68 GMC 3ton Grain Truck/Garbage wagon
50 Pontiac 2 Door Coupe Project
"I've got a shotgun rifle and a 4 wheel drive and a country boy can survive" Hank Jr.
Blue85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 01:37 PM   #8
barepaint

old skool flat head hmmm could be...lol mix is good...My sixty seven no power windows and old style buckets cst rock man...simple...just put in a new skool stereo...and speakers...cd hidden though...old sckool am still in place...chrome baby old sckool is definitely better than plastic yuk
Old 06-17-2006, 06:20 PM   #9
Karl Hoh
A little east of nowhere

Old School, KISS, I can fix or modify any of it. Don't need computers to mix my fuel or tell me why it stopped running. And as a high school drop out, I can spell correctly.
80 K10 350 4spd
76 C60 366 5spd school bus

"THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN BREAK THAT SOMEONE CAN'T BE PAID TO REPAIR"
Karl Hoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 07:19 PM   #10
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Old Skool, huh? Yeah, that's me.

I'm lookin' at a hot rod tribute theme, and that is definately old skool. Let's see, satin black (John Deere Blitz Black, okay?), dumped in front (2.5 inch drop plus four inch drop in the back), Flowmaster 40's (although a pair of Smitty's would be more in keeping with the theme...make a note to self), de-chromed, blue-dots in tail light lenses (with LED bulbs, tho).....you get the drift.

I always have wanted a hot rod (truck or car) and since my '69 is now approaching 38 years of age, that makes it the equivalent of a '27 model to a class of 1965 graduate, huh? So, think of a '27 T roadster pickup, with a 24-stud ported and relieved flattie, a '39 tranny and rear end with juice brakes all around, smitty's, Belond headers, Fenton intake with 2 '97's and a pair of Offenhauser heads. yeah, that's the ticket....

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 07:24 PM   #11
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I like 'em all.I just think once a theme is picked you should stay with it.I don't mean no-tech on old school,just please don't use electronic fuel injection on the flattie.Keep the theme pure if not the tech.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 09:46 PM   #12
wibilly

i gave up my points for HEI does that make me new school ? i'll never give up my carb for some money hungry computer controaled electronic headach that cant be serviced on the roadside
Old 06-18-2006, 12:11 PM   #13
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland
I like 'em all.I just think once a theme is picked you should stay with it.I don't mean no-tech on old school,just please don't use electronic fuel injection on the flattie.Keep the theme pure if not the tech.
This is the right way to go about any "school/skool" philosophy.....continuity. Regardless of your preferances, stay with the theme. My truck may not fit the idea that some have, and others may love it....regardless, it's my truck and it will be done my way. It took me almost 6 years to "figger" out what my theme would be. It will then my by interpretation of that theme, and I intend to keep that train of thought.

High tech has its place, if mixed with old skool. You have to know where the line is and when to cross it, or to simply hang back. HEI is a no-brainer. It's for dependability, which we need. Fuel injection? Not for me, but I appreciate its' dependability and economy. As for the Q-Jet on my truck, it's just right for me. LED taillights? Mine are bulbs (1157 replacements), which are bright and reliable. They're not from APC, either. APC LED bulbs (to me) are not worth the package that they're sold in. Headlights? Gonna go with the Halogen/LED turn signal combo, to get rid of the parking lights in the grille that my '69 currently has. High tech? Sure, but subtle, too. Billet grille? High tech, but it will enable me to have my theme (in my own mind) that enables the hot rod tribute that I want to have. Satin paint....red steelies with small caps and narrow trim rings.....dechroming and lowering. It's all consistent with what I have decided to interpret, based on the rods from the 40's and 50's.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 02:27 PM   #14
corn

Im going with this theme... I want my 69 to look like its just been sitting in the garage sinse the mid 70's & pulled back out today. You know, kind of drag race, street race/ street truck. Ive tried to get all sorts of "old school" parts but wont comprimise some things like an HEI, internal regulator & good radial tires. I was shopping for old gauges but couldnt bring myself to pay big bucks for something that I cant be sure will even work, so I went with new ones that look like old ones. So far, all Ive accomplished is making it look & feel like its been sitting sinse the mid 70's.
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 07:52 PM   #15
Boog
laying low

School? What school? There are no rules for how to build your truck. You build it how you want it. What theme? You don't have to have a theme either. Sounds like OCC and their "theme bikes."
Bottom line, you use whatever you want because it's yours. You want to use all parts that were used during a certain period of time to make it "look" like it was built back then? Go ahead. You want to mix in some more modern parts too? If it makes the ride better in your opinion go for it.
For me? After having owned computer controlled vehicles for a number of years now I am looking forward to a simpler, cleaner ride that, like one of you fellas just said, can be diagnosed and repaired on the side of the road. I am aware of the benefits of efi and overdrive trannys but WILL NOT be using either of these in my truck! I am sick and tired of tank mounted fuel pumps and OD trannys failing way sooner than I think they should. And I will be glad to once again have that quadrajet sitting center stage on my small block with it's open element air cleaner, bellowing every time I stomp the go pedal. I'm 52 and that's how we did em back then. Works just fine by me. I can leave the high tech stuff to the young blood who've grown up with it, not knowing any other way.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:00 AM   #16
robsm88

My truck is new school comfort, with old school looks. I can not wait to fire up the GenIII 6.0l with the 4L80E trans. Getting close.
Still love the old school simplicity, but I do a lot of driving in my truck, so reliability and fuel economy were most important. And yes, I can fix my truck on the roadside. I have worked on these engines for quite a few years at my shop. The only failure I see very often that will leave you DOA on the new trucks is a fuel pump.(of coarse battery too, but that goes for any motor)
robsm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 06:16 AM   #17
special-K
Special Order

I like no school,never did.(except girls)

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:59 AM   #18
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I never went to truck building school, so I don't think I can answer this one but if I were to take an edumakated guesstimate, I'd say all old skewl on the outside with all the new bells and whistles hiddin on the inside.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 05:14 PM   #19
barepaint

Hey I started this whole skool thing and I got kicked out...I agree with the Boss...I learned more from a three minute record then I ever learned in school...and college I'm not sure that doesn't suck brain cells out lol...Listen school is fine no matter which or a little of both...But rocking on down the highway is with your baby's legs wrapped around the shifter...stereo a shaken...and engine a hummin...sweet vibrations...lookin for the write place to pull over and enjoy the dash lights...immmm...now maybe I'm just an instigator
Attached Images

Last edited by barepaint; 07-11-2006 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:32 PM   #20
jbon64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay
Old Skool, huh? Yeah, that's me.

I'm lookin' at a hot rod tribute theme, and that is definately old skool. Let's see, satin black (John Deere Blitz Black, okay?), dumped in front (2.5 inch drop plus four inch drop in the back), Flowmaster 40's (although a pair of Smitty's would be more in keeping with the theme...make a note to self), de-chromed, blue-dots in tail light lenses (with LED bulbs, tho).....you get the drift.

I always have wanted a hot rod (truck or car) and since my '69 is now approaching 38 years of age, that makes it the equivalent of a '27 model to a class of 1965 graduate, huh? So, think of a '27 T roadster pickup, with a 24-stud ported and relieved flattie, a '39 tranny and rear end with juice brakes all around, smitty's, Belond headers, Fenton intake with 2 '97's and a pair of Offenhauser heads. yeah, that's the ticket....
the 69 sounds bad a$$ !!!! american 5 spokes or coke bottles would finish it up nicely ......got pics ??

64 nova wagon , 63 nova convertible
jbon64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:45 PM   #21
Geezer

Hmmm. don't know what white trash redneck ingenuity would be classified as... don't think it'd be "new school" though...
Old 07-11-2006, 07:58 PM   #22
barepaint

unschooled...lmao I like it!!!
Old 07-11-2006, 08:31 PM   #23
MisterMan
Account Suspended

im more new school, only stock thing i plan on changing as of now is the stocker radio. cant wait to build some boxes and slam my old mtx 12's behind me /w/ a 2,000 w. amp.... oh la la... lmao.... still... my lug nuts require more torque than ne of thoes damn honda rices burners produce!! im all for old school tho too, nothing like pissing off an old man /w/ his stock rims, stock height and faded paint job... just to wtch him lay posi down and pass your ass..... in a 55' !!!! lol
MisterMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 04:52 AM   #24
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I like Old Skool looks with New Skool safety and convenience upgrades that do not change the looks of our trucks.
I like having a CD player, drink holder hidden in the ashtray, nice radial tires to ride on and eventually I'll have a/c and cruise in my truck to go along with the tilt. A front sway bar with drop spindles and lowered springs add to the Old Skool look but make the truck handle like a New Skool truck.
Just my .02 !!!

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:31 PM   #25
ol' truck
~one mean a$$ truck~

my theme so far is simple.. old skool on the out side with all new ideas and toys on the inside.. fuel injection/twin turbo, digital gauges... the works! lowered on 16's with fatty tires on the rear.. thats the old look to me...
ol' truck is offline   Reply With Quote