The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2004, 09:39 PM   #1
70blazernorth

Column Shifter Conversion Info

Has anyone converted their 3 speed column shifter to the Hurst floor conversion, I believe it is called the "Indy Qualifier" ? My 3 speed column is seized up, I was planning to convert it anyway but will just have to do it sooner to help move the blazer around during repairs, just wondering if anyone had any experience good or bad on this.
thanks
70blazernorth
70blazernorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 07:28 PM   #2
michigank5

Yep, Hurst has the Indy Qualifier and Indy Pick-Up Truck 3 Speed shifters, not sure what the difference is, but I had the Pick-Up Truck one and had some issues with it not going into gear sometimes so I picked up the Hurst MasterShift and it works great. I think someone posted before that they stopped making the mounting kit for the Mastershift though. You can usually find the Indy ones on Ebay for pretty cheap.

http://go.mrgasket.com/pdf/hurst2001manual.pdf
http://go.mrgasket.com/pdf/hurst2001indy.pdf
michigank5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 04:19 PM   #3
70blazernorth

Thanks Michigank5, I will check it out.
70blazernorth
Old 07-27-2004, 01:27 PM   #4
Southern Rebel
70' blazer

Don't do it!

The Hurst 3-speed shifter will work I guess on 2 Wheel-drive trucks, but if you have 4 wheel drive, you will have to engineer the brackets to fit. I tried this, but would have meant cutting the hole in my tranny pan cover even bigger than it already is, along with cutting the mounting bracket and drilling more holes. I was going to put the mastershift in mine after the other turned to crap. I received the shifter pretty quick, but I had the application kit on backorder, so after waiting almost 2 months, I contacted summit and they found out that hurst stopped making the application kit, so I had a $90 shifter and no brackets. I ended up having to have one fabricated $250 later for 2 pieces of metal welded together. Buy a welder or get another column.
Southern Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 07:31 PM   #5
70blazernorth

Thanks for the info Southern Rebel,
I think I will try to correct the column problem instead of the conversion at this stage, if you have seen the pics of my blazers body the shifter conversion shouldn't be my main priority.
Thanks again
70blazernorth