The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Product Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2002, 02:06 AM   #1
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Thumbs up Torque Plus intake gaskets (non-voodoo power maker)

Well, i've had them laying around for a while, and since I blew my end seal out on the way back from Michigan, I guess now is a good time huh?

You can see the screens that are supposed to re-atomize the air/fuel mixture.
Here is what Jeggs has to say about them. (The sales man wants me to come back and let him know my observations)

Quote:
From Jeg's web siteTorque Plus has found a way to take racetrack technology and apply it to the everyday high performance street vehicle with their intake manifold gaskets. The result is more low end torque, fuel economy and throttle response. The theory behind their screened intake gaskets is easy: The Torque Plus System reduces atomization fallout of the fuel by fittinga small mesh screen into their gasket, which runs directly across the entire mouth of the intake port (the closest accessible point before fuel mixture enters the combustion chamber). As fuel flows into the cylinder head, it will re-atomize, forming finer droplets. These finer fuel droplets allow the fuel to burn faster, creating more horsepower from the same amount of fuel!! This results in improved throttle response and an increase of between 10-15% on fuel economy. Torque Plus is a worthy addition to any engine.

I'll get y'all some feed back after getting my timing light and vac guage from work tomorow. I need to tune this thing again.
So far, Off idle torque is awsome...it lunges alot more than before, and that is with 1,000 pounds of caddy big block and loooong shaft TH400 in the back!
It also seems to like alot less ignition advance. This could be wrong, but I think it is alot closer to TDC than it was. (always set it by ear, but this time it seems alot further from my markings.)
As you can see on the side by side, the Torque plus gasket has a lot more material than the blue Fell Pro. (which is a fine gasket I might add, look at how it came off in one piece after about 16 months of use and a real good overheating)
This looks to be a 2 ply, all fiber gasket, with no metal innards, unlike the blue one which looks to have copper in it.

After some time on the road...and a road trip...
I went out on a limb and tested a voo-doo power maker on my trusty and rusty '69 GMC.
As we all know, the differant engine combos react differantly to upgrades...my engine could react positivly to an item, while a stocker would choke on it. (carb spacers come to mind)
Background;
350 small block...virgin block, about 8 to 1 compression, 882 heads with 2.02 valves and a little bowl clean up (last owner claims) Has an Eldebrock "500 intake 501 exhaust cam (again, engine builder...he forgot the rest of the cam spcs..healthy lope at idle) Rhodes lifters, and an eldebrock true doubl roller chain.
On the outside, it has a fairly stock rebuilt HEI with a crane adjustable vac advance and the lightest springs in the kit, Eldebrock performer RPM daul plane intake, a performer 600 cfm man choke carb, a set of Hooker super comp headers, and a 3 foot long 2 1/2 inch exhaust with loud @ss turbo muffs.
Timing was set at about 16 degrees at 800 RPM with the vac advance hooked to ported vacume. 160 degree thermostat ensured I never saw the high side of 175.
Ran great on 87 octaine fuel.

I love them.
I had to retune for better combustion...timing is now set at 10 degrees BTDC.
The off idle torque is much better than I have ever had on this engine. It idles in gear now instead of chugging and killing its self. (torque converter has too low a stall speed)
The Improved torque is from right off idle, all they way up to about 3000 RPM. Which, with my crappy gearing, by the time I hit 3K in drive (3rd) I am breaking a couple laws... So with a 3.07 gear, and 28 inch tires, it is whithin your entire LEGAL power band.
All this was seat of the pants testing, so in reality, i was wondering if it was real, or if it was all in my head.
The truck would have a hard time spinning the tire in straight line acceleration. The almost stock torque converter and freeway friendly gears were too much for the engine which wouldn't wake up untill 2500 - 3000 RPM. Now it will light up the right rear at will...just a blip of the throttle. IT still wont do 1/2 track John Force smoke shows, but it is an improvement.
Now, the real test, and this is where they shine.
ROAD TRIP
I went on a 400 and some chainge road trip to Kentucky on Saturday, and I observed 13 MPG on the way there, and 14 on the way back. This was also at a higher rate of speed than what I normally hold it at here in Columbus. I held it at 80 MPH 1/2 way there, then on the way home, I was going 80 for about 3/4 the way. The best I was EVER able to get before, was a dismal 10 MPG, but recently, it was more like 8 to 9 MPG.
So, I give these gaskets a 2 Thumbs up.
Even though they will set you back about $36 bucks, with an improvement like that in MPG, they WILL pay for themselves.

If your ready to order...go to http://www.jegs.com/ and use there search engine.
Or call there toll free hot nile 24/7... 1-800-345-4545.
Hmmm, maybe I should ask for a comission on this.

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 01-23-2003 at 01:48 AM.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 08:59 PM   #2
scull67

Funny, I just realized today I need a new intake gasket. I think I will give it a try. Thanks for the review.

scull67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 07:23 PM   #3
Big69C20 Toy
Livin' it up.

I ordered a pair since i gotta check on one of (maybe more) of my lifters. costly but we'll see. i'll let ya'll know
Big69C20 Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 12:20 AM   #4
Longhorn Man

By special request, I am sending in an update.
It is Feb now, 6 months after the initial 'test', and all is well. I have had no problems with the intake manifold loosening...didn't even have to retorque them. No mystery leaks...no vacume leaks, nothing.
After tehy been on a while you forget the cost.
I still give them 2 thumbs up.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:55 AM   #5
Longhorn Man

Well, huge bummer. Big69C20 Toy just posted pics of his intake gaskets after 14 months or so, and his screens blew out.
Huge friggen bummer. At least the screens were plastic.

Here is his thread... http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...threadid=93219

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 10-06-2004 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:32 AM   #6
70c10
67-72 Addict!

Andy, I remember your post from way back. I was curious as to how long these screens would up. Guess it all depends.

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 06:50 PM   #7
71402BB
now thats a true COON DOG

Can you get them for an inline 6?

71 SWB Stepside, was a 250, now is a 402 Big Block with 4 speed and 3.73's ( was crushed by a tree, bed sold, motor pulled) was my first truck!... oh well...

72 LWB 4x4 350 4-speed 3.08's posi wearing army olive drab green (SOLD!)

68 BURB 50TH LOOKALIKE work in progress, soon to have 250-I6 with a 3-speed on the tree 4.11's and posi ( currently sitting in back yard tarped awaiting time, $$$, and lots of love!)

67 1 TON- work truck 396 sm 420 4-speed, flat bed 4.57 gears "big red" (my first landscape truck, very rusty and crusty! but still gets the job done when needed!)
71402BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 03:44 PM   #8
chevykid04
4 speed, hurst shiftin

DAMN you had me all convinced to buy them i hope they figure out a way to fix this problem...
Old 04-08-2004, 02:28 AM   #9
SS55

I put them on a brand new Goodwrench 350 in a 71 Suburban about 7 years ago. I have since sold it and the guy who bought it is still running with them installed. I have them on my 350 in my Blazer as well. Engines start easy and idle smooth, well at least on mine w/o a big cam.

71 Blazer, ex-4WD...Bought it that way
55 GMC
55 Belair 2dr HT
67 El Camino
SS55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 08:14 AM   #10
Longhorn Man

Yeah, I still have mine in there too...but I'm willing to bet the screens are gone thoguh.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:48 PM   #11
Longhorn Man

When i blew this engine, I took the intake off to discover there was 1/2 a screen left...that was it.

Don't buy them.