The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-22-2016, 01:52 PM   #1
sdub007

stock vs aftermarket wheels

Hey guys I have a Question about wheel values: I'm building a 72 K10 Custom stock height. Does a truck with rallys and original tire size have a higher value than say installing some aluminum wheels and like beefy tires like 33x12.50s? I've been told factory height is more desirable than lifted. thx!
Old 08-22-2016, 02:01 PM   #2
71threequarterton

Re: stock vs aftermarket wheels

I'd say the general rule of thumb is the closer you keep it to original, the more desirable it will be to potential buyers in the future. Obviously, you have those completely over the top custom vehicles that don't resemble anything near stock that could that cold fetch some serious cash but I don't think that's what we're talking about here.

71 Chevrolet C20
94 GMC Yukon 4x4

71threequarterton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:57 PM   #3
66clow

If you go aftermarket you can always save the originals.
66clow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:09 PM   #4
sdub007

I found some cool aluminum 16x10 rims but that width forces me to go with 35" tall tires... and a lift
Old 08-22-2016, 07:57 PM   #5
special-K
Special Order

I'd say if you are looking for an investment, buy gold. If you are into trucks just do what you like. The only thing that matters is what pleases you.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 12:37 AM   #6
ck5566
Account Suspended

If you are looking to sell it then keep it as close to stock as you can. Having a stock truck is like a blank canvas that gives the perspective buyer something too work with. Having something that is a little to heavily loaded with aftermarket goodies sometimes turns off the buyer. Heavily loaded trucks are for the present owner only, selling one gets just as hard like when you go to buy a new car and only want some items and see that you have to get a HOLE LOT of extra items that you don't want on the car but HAVE to get them anyway because SOME ONE ELSE HAS MADE THAT DECISION FOR YOU. do you get the point.
ck5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:52 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

BTW, rallyes aren't stock on these trucks. They are factory, which is a classy way to do a truck compared to aftermarket. But, I don't think wheels would make or break a deal. I'm not paying what Reggie Youngin spent on his big hoops in the cost of the truck anyway. Most who buy those trend wheels do seem to be selling wheels with a truck included. That is the only time wheels scare me away from a deal. I tell them I'll bring rollers, keep the wheels, and subtract the cost. Hasn't worked yet, but maybe one day I'll get a decent truck for $800 and they can keep their $2,400 wheels

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:07 PM   #8
ck5566
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
BTW, rallyes aren't stock on these trucks. They are factory, which is a classy way to do a truck compared to aftermarket. But, I don't think wheels would make or break a deal. I'm not paying what Reggie Youngin spent on his big hoops in the cost of the truck anyway. Most who buy those trend wheels do seem to be selling wheels with a truck included. That is the only time wheels scare me away from a deal. I tell them I'll bring rollers, keep the wheels, and subtract the cost. Hasn't worked yet, but maybe one day I'll get a decent truck for $800 and they can keep their $2,400 wheels
I like your answer
Old 08-27-2016, 08:15 AM   #9
Daman

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
LOL This is great.

I was looking at a fun car last year with hideous wheels on it. The car was a survivor and pretty much untouched. The guy didn't know anything about the car but kept going on about the wheels (they cost this much, special ordered and that his recently passed brother picked them out) and wouldn't drop the price without them. I was about to make an offer when the wife chimed in "We're not here to buy the wheels, we want to buy the car!" He got all pissy and we left.
Daman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:42 AM   #10
jocko

Stock steelies if you are even thinking of re-sale (ok, and ever if you aren't). Like Tim said - rallies aren't stock on this era. I WOULD upgrade to PO3 chrome hub caps. If you have the white caps (identical, just not chrome) that came on a Custom (only) trim truck, I'd save them and sell them with the truck at the time. But I'd drive it and sell it with Chrome PO3s because they look so awesome. I'd pc the steelies also, but that's just personal choice. Another option is white steelies with no caps, very believable AND good looking on a Custom trim level truck. I'd submit 35" tires will give you a nose bleed (and won't look as good overall as if you'd left it bone stock and it will be harder to sell with a lift kit, you would not likely recoup the $ spent on the tires, wheels and lift). Pics?!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:00 AM   #11
custom10nut

Whenever you add "custom" parts to any vehicle, you're doing it by what you think "looks good". Not judging, but we all do things to our own tastes. Just because one likes the way something looks doesn't mean another will.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:28 AM   #12
davepl

When it comes to resale, by and large original is more valuable. But the one odd exception is that the market really does seem to accept 1970s rally wheels on these trucks as if they were stock, which they were not.

It seems the use of mid-70s rallys is so common, and must look so natural, that everyone just accepts it, even on an otherwise stock restoration.
Attached Images

davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:46 AM   #13
ck5566
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom10nut View Post
Whenever you add "custom" parts to any vehicle, you're doing it by what you think "looks good". Not judging, but we all do things to our own tastes. Just because one likes the way something looks doesn't mean another will.
In my Opinion Stock will sell faster 4 to 1 any day. my .02
Old 08-27-2016, 12:39 PM   #14
leftybass209

I always value the truck itself first. I don't care what someone else spent on wheels, that's their money. I buy based on my money and what I can afford, so if I don't like the wheels on the truck, I'll try to buy without, or lower my offer.

Anything that is an easy bolt-on like an air cleaner or wheels hasn't affected value from what I've seen, unless it's rare or hard to find parts.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:53 PM   #15
TwoFiftyShifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
When it comes to resale, by and large original is more valuable. But the one odd exception is that the market really does seem to accept 1970s rally wheels on these trucks as if they were stock, which they were not.

It seems the use of mid-70s rallys is so common, and must look so natural, that everyone just accepts it, even on an otherwise stock restoration.
Possibly.a drop on that truck too?