The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2017, 07:44 PM   #26
HunterRotten

Re: Got Cragars, will this backspacing work or do I need to exchange?

Sooooo.. sorry to triple post but we have come up with a viable solution after bolting up the inner fenders to the bed. I think it will have just enough clearance to only dig into the sidewall on a 15x10 Cragar S/S with 4.25" backspacing and 295/50/15 tire when under load or hitting a large bump. (Not at current ride height.. read above to see how I'm going to raise the truck up.) To gain even more clearance so that it hopefully never happens, we(my dad) are going to fabricate up a shim between the bedside and bolt-in fender made out of 3/16" steel. This should push the bedside out just enough to the extra safety and comfort of running a wheel with this offset + wide tire.

If we are wrong or totally backwards, go ahead and post. I have read every comment and taken all suggestions and situations into consideration and theory with my dad. I think after the shim is welded in, seam sealed, and then bedlined it won't look a bit out of place.
HunterRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:08 AM   #27
bbbc10
Diggin The SquareLife

I wouldnt shim the bed.....jus get correct wheels
bbbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:04 AM   #28
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterRotten View Post
Sooooo.. sorry to triple post but we have come up with a viable solution after bolting up the inner fenders to the bed. I think it will have just enough clearance to only dig into the sidewall on a 15x10 Cragar S/S with 4.25" backspacing and 295/50/15 tire when under load or hitting a large bump. (Not at current ride height.. read above to see how I'm going to raise the truck up.) To gain even more clearance so that it hopefully never happens, we(my dad) are going to fabricate up a shim between the bedside and bolt-in fender made out of 3/16" steel. This should push the bedside out just enough to the extra safety and comfort of running a wheel with this offset + wide tire.

If we are wrong or totally backwards, go ahead and post. I have read every comment and taken all suggestions and situations into consideration and theory with my dad. I think after the shim is welded in, seam sealed, and then bedlined it won't look a bit out of place.
I would test your theory of this 'shim' pushing the bedside out. My suspicion is it will only tweak how squarely the inner tub bolts in. My suggestion is to find wheels w/better (correct) back spacing.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:53 AM   #29
JWall
Frequent Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbc10 View Post
I wouldnt shim the bed.....jus get correct wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
My suggestion is to find wheels w/better (correct) back spacing.
^ This.

I'd be leary of "shimming" the bed side out.
Could tweak a lot of things.
It could also cause paint and/or body work as well with the bedside flexing.
JWall is offline   Reply With Quote