The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2003, 06:21 AM   #26
SweetandLong68
Your UncleBen

Quote:
Originally posted by Reumster
Next what about if your car jacked. Besides having a Glock on your seat. Because we all know the sad but true truth that we as americans aren't really free, and it's illegal to carry a loaded gun in your vechicle. So if your obeying the law you can't have a gun that would be useful in a car jack situation.
All depends on your State my friend I carry mine everyday. The carjackers are gonna hate me when I pull out my Glock 21 with 14 rounds of sweetness to light their ass up with I also have another small .45 caliber handgun that I keep in the car for just this kind of situation. So I say....BRING the Jackers!

heheh

lata
CHRIS
Old 01-05-2003, 09:14 AM   #27
GMCjunkie
Dude...I'm a CHICK

Mabey not real practical for all, but I met a guy in Cali. who had a 69 long bed...Not a show truck, but not in bad shape, ... First time I saw it of course I walked over to to get a closer look, windows were down... got about 25 feet from it and up popped a pit bull.... didnt bark, didnt get excited... just a low steady throaty growl....like I said... mabey not real practical,,, but a VERY good deterrent.... Talked to the owner of the truck AND dog several times after that.... made friends with them both...

'71 GMC Suburban 4x4
GMCjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 09:43 AM   #28
chevy71super

I agree its almost impossible to stop a tow truck. That is how trucks were being stolen a few years back in the Seattle area. I read this week lowjack is coming to Seattle which I am seriously pondering. The cost is high but I would hate to lose my investment and all the work.

In meantime I installed a removal steering wheel. I bought the device from Sumit Racing and used it to install a Grant steering wheel. With a twist of a key you remove the steering wheel and place a cap where the wheel was. Works neat. While it won't foil those with tow trucks it makes it very difficult to steal otherwise. Only one draw-back. Since it sets the steering wheel about two inches further out from the column you want to get a steering wheel with little or no dish to it.

Here's a picture with the cap on the column.
Attached Images

chevy71super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 12:30 PM   #29
billogna

My truck is a daily driver, so one thing I think is important is that I don't have the stereo / speakers in plain sight, only the original AM, as I think that will keep the kids away, along with the keyed lugnuts.

As for stealing the truck, I only have a switch going to the coil (HEI), so that if they try to hotwire it, it just sounds like it won't start, and another for the torque converter, though that is in plain sight under the dash, and a lock on the hood all the time, easy to do, pic below.

I've never been car jacked, but maybe a remote controlled battery shutoff as mentioned above would be a good idea for that, just make sure the guy is far enough away from you when you shut it off, 'caused he's gonna be angry when the truck dies.
Attached Images

'84 Chev K20 350/4 spd
'91 GMC 1500 Suburban 4x4, 350/700R4
billogna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 01:06 PM   #30
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Okay, tow truck operators and those who repossess vehicles for a living have the inside skinny on what does and doesn't do any good. I have always heard that locks just keep honest people honest. Kids who are bent on joy-riding, or whatever, think that their youthful age will help keep them from serious jeopardy in the court systems. I think they're right. There is a shortage of funds (taxes, etc.) to hire/train/equip law enforcement. There is a shortage of jail space to keep the hardened criminals locked-up. All we can do is TRY to keep our vehicle from being stolen. If someone wants it badly enough, it will be taken. All I know to do is try to keep enough insurance coverage to replace it. I know it isn't easy, but sometimes it is all we have. It's like money in the till at a convenience store...my former employer in Tucson, told me that if someone wants the money, give it to them. Fortunately, at that time (69-71), there was no proliferation of firepower that is now in the hands of those who want your money or try to keep you from taking it.

Saw a street rod that had no visible ignition switch. The owner used a lighter socket, and had the knob modified to hold the ignition key. As long as the knob was in place, there seemed to be no ignition switch....and this was a roadster. I doubt if the owner ever went to WalMart or left it parked on the streets unless it was cordoned off for a show. So, the security point is moot, while the "cool" factor was just that, cool.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 01:13 PM   #31
Church
Carolina Classic Trucks

Painless performance products has some of the items you guys have mentioned on here. There are some really good ideas. I am going to install an alarm like the CA2000 and a battery disconnect switch.
This will be pretty much all I'll need for mine.

Here the link for the CA2000

and the 50710
MASTER DISCONNECT SWITCH
W/MOUNTING PANEL
Old 01-05-2003, 02:33 PM   #32
Hotrod70C10
Low & Slow

The whole tow truck thing got pretty big over the summer here in oklahoma. I think they were stealing little rice rockets mostly.
Old 01-05-2003, 02:45 PM   #33
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

3 speed on the column.I have had 2 seperate rides with 3 speed column shifters,when they were run thru the automated car wash the grunt's there had to shut down the system to come get me to move them.Seems like only us "Mature flatulence filled automotive enthusiasts" know how to drive a 3 on the tree anymore.
It won't stop a real theif or a tow truck but it also has less desirability than the truck in the next space over.
Cut off switches and alarms seem to be the best ticket for a daily driver, but if it gets to be a nice ride it will still be a target and lojack might be the best answer$$$$$.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 02:53 PM   #34
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

Hey Cableguy,

Are you a Repo man or a salesman for Lojack??

I think lojack would be a great idea, but it's not available out in the boonies here.
We live in a very good comunity for Law enforcement, they still look at a vehicle that the alarm is going off on. And 411's (stolen vehicle's) are rcovered here and stopped consistently, My son-in-law is a Johnny law here, I listen to a scanner all of the time and ride with him at least once a week. The repoers here don't take a step without calling in first to coordinate their repo. Even tow trucks and repo vehicles are stopped to see if they have the "right" paperwork to have the vehicle "hooked". He** if most of you remember right, This is the town that Ted Binion's millions in silver and gold coins were buried in, When the Idiot Killed Teddy and then came out to Un-bury his vault, Our Deputy force stopped and checked him out, hooked and detained him, then one thing led to another. Him and that Blonde Bit**, I never did like her anyway.
Even a "Line lock" hooked into both front and rear brakes wouldn't stop a tow truck, All they have to do is hook their "dolly" to it and it's gone.
But realistically, that type of professionalism is of the minority,,,, we have more to worry about from the jerkoff little bastard that has nothing better to do on some night but take your car/truck out for a joyride. And these ideas will HELP, stop THEM.

RON
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 03:33 PM   #35
JoetheMobster
Listening since '86

Quote:
Originally posted by greasemonkey
No choke. Takes about 5 minutes to warm up after only about 4 hours of sitting, that way nobody could steal it at night without my hearing it. During the day, it is too ugly to steal.

LMAO!!!!!!

That description sounds like my truck too!
Old 01-05-2003, 03:44 PM   #36
JoetheMobster
Listening since '86

To beat the tow truck, what you have to do is get some high quality chain. Then you have to chain your truck to a light post, or something attached, or heavy, just like a bicycle!!! LMAO!

I can't belive someone didn't mention the wheel locks like they have in the UK! You all remember the big yellow metal devices they clamp on the wheels.
Old 01-05-2003, 08:05 PM   #37
Project1970
14.1 @ 96MPH

I've seen the UAPD boot some cars...hmm, that's an idea
Old 01-05-2003, 08:53 PM   #38
Chevy Punk

What is lojack?
Chevy Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 09:16 PM   #39
Project1970
14.1 @ 96MPH

It's basically a radio / computer in your car. When you call your ride in stolen, they send a signal to it and it starts broadcasting...Cops with the receiver can then easily track it down.
Old 01-05-2003, 11:52 PM   #40
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

so does anyone know how much lojack is? i am going to get it. just for my piece of mind.

tx has a cool program, here is the link/

http://www.txwatchyourcar.com/

in short you sign up for the program, they give you 2 stickers. one for the front window, one for the rear. if a car is spotted driving after mindnight with one of these stickers, the cops dont need a reason to pull you over. if it is you driving, just show the propper id and you are on your way. if its not you. they keep the person there untill they contact you. kind of a cool idea. i never drive the truck after 12 anyway.

as far as kill switches, i have some too. they work ok i guess. but think about it. if i wanted to steel the truck. all i need is 2 long wires with clips at the ends. one end the the battery other to the hei. the other from the batt to the starter. jump the starter with a screw driver.... i just by passes all the kill switches in the world.

i do like the fuel cut offs because thats a bit harder to bypass.

im not as worried about my truck when at home. its out of sight in my back yard. behind a big locked gate. the neighbors dogs bark at everything, and there is almost no way to start it with out me hearing. verry hard to towe because of how tight things are back there. im just worried about a trip to wall mart or something. i cring every time i leave her out there.
mtdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 12:01 AM   #41
Jesse 67 c-10

I'm surprised no one mentioned getting airbags and seriously lowered susp so you can drop the frame on the ground that should deter most tow trucks. Or for long term storage take the wheels off and keep them in your house, just put some blocks under it!

1993 Dihatsu Hijet Jumbo cab 4x4, currently converting to battery electric power.
Jesse 67 c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 02:07 AM   #42
ryes 69

the best way to stop tow trucks are: park so drive tires can't be picked up (rear drive backed in front drive pull in) E brake on, front wheels turned all the way to lock,(if towed wheels must be straight or if picked up by front they will slip out of wheel lift)pull up so you touch the tires on the curb(makes dollies a sob) and lock it.now this won't stop a good wrecker driver but if you do all this he's gona be working for a while and be pissed (trust me)oh and the e brake thing works better on heavy cars.I hooked a cavalier and tires blew 4 miles down the road!! and I'll put a vote in for fuel shut off to stop drive offs
ryes 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 02:21 AM   #43
dion
72 Cheyenne

Besides the visuals, alarm, club on the steering wheel and club on the gas pedal I have 3 tanks so every night and if I'm going to be in a store for more than a few mins I switch the tanks, I figure he'll get about a block and with the alarm going off......
1966/67Stouts
dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 05:17 AM   #44
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

I had a Triumph Spitfire with a kill switch on the coil line. Worked great, I parked it up for a few months in my parents drive, went back to move it and I could not get it to start. I practically rebuilt the damn engine and ignition system. In the end I phoned a mechanic friend of mine for advice and yep, the first thing he said was, "you have turned that hidden switch on haven't you?" If I coulda reached I would have kicked my own a$$!

A friend of mine had it wired into his brake light switch so you had to have your foot on the brake to start it. He got pulled by the cops for something and they actually had to get him back out of the police car to start it up so they could drive it back to the station!

We had a similar scheme to the one mtdave2 mentioned around Manchester where car crime is a spectator sport, worked well. You can also buy wheel clamps, very popular with people with touring caravans (you know, trailers like your airstreams only much sadder!) The Tracker system is a bit like your Lojack system, it uses GPS and a satelite system to tell the police exactly where your stolen car is. They have even recovered cars from inside steel shipping containers at the docks!

At the moment I just have a (I think you call them a club) on my steering wheel but will be putting in a hidden kill switch when I sort out the under-dash wiring this year. I also have a stand-alone flashing LED on my dash, runs off two AA batteries and looks like you have an alarm, with a couple of scrounged "this vehicle has a real expensive make of alarm fitted" stickers in the window. Lets face it, the vast majority of car thieves round here are thick as pig-s**t and it'll at least deter them.

My real problem is that driving a sixties US classic in the UK, the people most likely to steal it a real professionals stealing to order for parts and very little will stop them. At night my car is parked at the back of my house under sensor floodlight behind locked six foot gates.

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 04:47 AM   #45
71-longbed
Its Magically Delicious

in cab hood release .... i would highly recommend ...

Of all my favorite things to do, The utmost is to have a brew.
My love grows for my foamy friend, with each thirst-quenching elbow bend.
Beer so frosty, smooth, and cold it's paradise pure liquid gold.
Yes beer means many things to me that's all for now cus I gotta pee.
71-longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 07:07 AM   #46
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

How about this? Looks interesting. It's probably pricey, but for sound of mind it might be worth it.... http://www.northeastravelco.com/productinfo.html

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 08:31 AM   #47
Blue Beard

Anyone have a website for lojack?
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 10:16 AM   #48
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

lojack.com i think. but it doesnt tell you the stuff everyone wants to know... cost, and how is it installed... after a few hours i finaly got the answer.

cost just under $800. install, you have to go to a car dealer, talk to the finace officer (strange i know). you pay them. they call the lojack installer. he calls you, you set up a time, he comes over and installs it.

catches.
every year or so, you should have it tested to be sure its working.....25 bucks i think.

they wont tell you where it is installed. with our trucks, i could find it really fast, but im sure the installer will understand if you insist on knowing, and more inportant oking the location.

best part.. it works. better than onstar and all the other gps baced trackers. cops like it, its the only one they endorce.
peice of mind...... im wanting one bad just for that. but $800 ouch.. cheaper than a new truck but still... ouch!
mtdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 11:29 AM   #49
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i just leave apic of the ex wife on the dash sends everyone away

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 11:34 AM   #50
bpmcgee

Okay, here's my concept. I haven't worked out all the details yet, like what to do with the 120 lbs of gas.
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote