The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2020, 01:36 AM   #1
Asshat

Classic Industries crate motor - thinking about a 350 or 383

Wondering if it’s worth the money, almost $5K for a complete motor. Worried if it wasn’t put together right, it will be a major pain to tear down and repair. You guys think I could get a complete rebuilt motor for $5,000?

Just thinking out loud...
Old 09-24-2020, 06:47 AM   #2
4u2nv

Re: Classic Industries crate motor - thinking about a 350 or 383

Is that a turn key motor or is the carb ,manifolds , starter , alternator needed to be added and what ever , if so that can add up $$$$ if you don't have a donor motor.!!!!
Just thinking out loud with you.
4u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:39 AM   #3
Stormin08

all the names i see on their site are reputable and offer warranties on all motors.
Stormin08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:47 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Can you post a link so we can compare to other crate motor prices and features? We know Classic isn't an engine builder, so I wonder whose engine they are selling? Personally, I would want to buy from the company that built the engine, in case there would be a problem, rather than the sticky third party/who's going to lose money on this one situation

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:45 AM   #5
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Most of the "complete" or turn-key motors from your GM dealer (PART NO. 19355662 for HO 350) or places like Summit/Jegs are in the $5500 range. The long blocks are in the 3500 ish range. I would check your local GM/Chevy dealer for what they price it at (and at least when I did mine, there was no shipping charges).

Scoggins Dickey does a lot of on-line engines from a dealer perspective. Other than them people I know tend to go with Summit or Jegs and lots of time wait for specials on the long blocks, although during this time it may not show up much.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:01 AM   #6
truckster

I like building engines, and I built the Vortec 5.7 that I put in my Blazer. Having said that, it's hard to beat a crate engine on price when you figure machine shop costs, parts costs, and the time it takes to assemble. Most crate engines come with a pretty decent warranty. As mentioned, I would check your local dealer, Scoggins Dickey (I've had good experiences buying from them), Jegs, Summit, Speedway, etc. and find a motor your interested in. Post the link here and I'm sure you'll get feedback on the specific motor.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:07 AM   #7
Rickysnickers

You didn't mention Blueprint Engines. They might be worth a look for you. I purchased one and have had no issues with it at all.

https://blueprintengines.com/collect...cement_383-c-i
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:22 AM   #8
Richard2112

I enjoy build my own as long as there's no immediate need. It takes a while but it's a rewarding process. I like to spec my own clearances, know what bearings and rings are inside, push rods, valve clearances, etc...To me, that's peace of mind.

However, It would be difficult compete with the crate engine market for price, convenience, and a then there's the warranty. So there's something to be said for purchasing a crate motor.

I chose to build my own 383. As picky as I am, that took a while and went far beyond budget. Knowing that, 55 doesn't sound like a bad price, depending upon your options.
Richard2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:10 PM   #9
FirstOwner69

I'm running one of these and really like it. Brand new engine.
https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/19210008.html

May be able to find a better price.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:56 PM   #10
jweb

It's hard to beat this GM crate motor for the price. The problem is most people think they need more power. The one in this link is 300hp in an old truck that feels like a lot to me.

https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/19355659.html

Looks like they also have some rebates right now.
1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 03:53 PM   #11
Asshat

I was looking at this one, turns out it is a Blue Print motor.
https://www.classicindustries.com/product/bp3832.html

I would consider building myself, however, the time and money would probably exceed the cost of this motor, wouldn't it? Most people go over-budget when they do a motor build.
Old 09-24-2020, 04:44 PM   #12
ctandc

I guess it all depends on what you're looking for....

If you're looking for a quick and clean solution - GM long blocks are hard to beat. Do you not want to deal with having to getting an intake, carb, etc?

Warranties are great on crate engines / long blocks. Problem is most don't cover labor and if you install it yourself - your labor is free. Plus distance / shipping...then waiting.

Do you have any reputable engine builders? Now is the time in most areas. GOOD engine shops will have a back log before the snow flies....

I just saw your location. There used to be a TON of good engine shops in SoCal...I'm sure someone here could point you in the right direction. Maybe one of the regional sub forums?

Personally I like checking everything myself. Any engine I've never personally witnessed how it runs - I tend to check bearing clearances etc - maybe that's just me.

It's really not hard building one. Patience, engine stand, plastigauge and plenty of clean lint free towels LOL.......

Or find a local shop that will work with you - considering your goals for the vehicle its going in.....

I'd personally get a 1 piece RMS block no matter which way you decide. And a roller block makes using OEM roller valvetrain (even camshaft) affordable.

Lots of variables too...you want to run Premium or low octane without issues?

If it were me, I would put together a nice late model roller 350 (with a $5K budget I could shop around and make it a 383 without breaking that budget), I'd probably hunt for a late model 350 Vortec engine as a core and go from there...
Old 09-24-2020, 05:44 PM   #13
TwoFiftyShifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweb View Post
It's hard to beat this GM crate motor for the price. The problem is most people think they need more power. The one in this link is 300hp in an old truck that feels like a lot to me.

That engine isn't hard to beat at all. In fact, its the goodwrench 350 with an ancient cam swap. 8:1 compression.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:10 PM   #14
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctandc View Post
I guess it all depends on what you're looking for....

If you're looking for a quick and clean solution - GM long blocks are hard to beat. Do you not want to deal with having to getting an intake, carb, etc?

Warranties are great on crate engines / long blocks. Problem is most don't cover labor and if you install it yourself - your labor is free. Plus distance / shipping...then waiting.

Do you have any reputable engine builders? Now is the time in most areas. GOOD engine shops will have a back log before the snow flies....

I just saw your location. There used to be a TON of good engine shops in SoCal...I'm sure someone here could point you in the right direction. Maybe one of the regional sub forums?

Personally I like checking everything myself. Any engine I've never personally witnessed how it runs - I tend to check bearing clearances etc - maybe that's just me.

It's really not hard building one. Patience, engine stand, plastigauge and plenty of clean lint free towels LOL.......

Or find a local shop that will work with you - considering your goals for the vehicle its going in.....

I'd personally get a 1 piece RMS block no matter which way you decide. And a roller block makes using OEM roller valvetrain (even camshaft) affordable.

Lots of variables too...you want to run Premium or low octane without issues?

If it were me, I would put together a nice late model roller 350 (with a $5K budget I could shop around and make it a 383 without breaking that budget), I'd probably hunt for a late model 350 Vortec engine as a core and go from there...
The motor he linked is a 1pc RMS, roller cam block, & comes w/aluminum heads, intake, distributor, & carb.

If you don't have a relationship w/someone in the machine-shop/engine building field, these crate motors aren't a bad way to go.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:42 PM   #15
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
If you don't have a relationship w/someone in the machine-shop/engine building field, these crate motors aren't a bad way to go.
That was one of the factors that helped me decide to rebuild mine. I have a good friend who owns a machine shop and is an excellent machinist. As a bonus, he let me come in and do some of the work myself (under his supervision).
Old 09-24-2020, 09:53 PM   #16
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
I'm running one of these and really like it. Brand new engine.
https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/19210008.html

May be able to find a better price.
I have one of these. It's a great little engine.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:54 PM   #17
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweb View Post

My son in law has one of these in his 70 K10. He loves it.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:56 PM   #18
biketopia

I have a blueprint 427 small block in my Camaro, my brother has installed numerous other blue print engines in customer cars. Great for the price and warranty, and any time I had a questions they were super easy to get a hold of and answer questions. They'll tell you what bearings are in the engine, ring gaps, fasteners, everything. Plus you get a dyno sheet from your specific engine.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:15 PM   #19
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asshat View Post
I was looking at this one, turns out it is a Blue Print motor.
https://www.classicindustries.com/product/bp3832.html

I would consider building myself, however, the time and money would probably exceed the cost of this motor, wouldn't it? Most people go over-budget when they do a motor build.
Your not going to beat that with all that it includes. I'd try Summit before the Industries place. They sell Blueprint engines also.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:20 PM   #20
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Doesn't someone make a crate 6 cylinder? It would be a pile easier to replace without all the changes involved going to a V-8.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:33 PM   #21
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Doesn't someone make a crate 6 cylinder? It would be a pile easier to replace without all the changes involved going to a V-8.
https://www.summitracing.com/search/...yle/long-block
https://www.jegs.com/i/ATK+Engines/0...BoCnOQQAvD_BwE
Pretty sure Jasper does also.
http://remanufactured.com/Chevrolet_...er_Engines.htm
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:35 PM   #22
Stormin08

https://blueprintengines.com/product...-cam-bp3503ct1

Just an fyi, i purchased this (2 yrs ago i think), for 2599 on sale...the dyno sheet showed 399HP 411Tq.

power for dollar, it was a bargain ! i have the fitech 600hp setup and a SS shorty header into 3" single exhaust...and it runs very well.
Stormin08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:45 PM   #23
Tom
driving is in my blood

If you can't rebuild a small block 350/383 for $2k or less then you are doing something wrong. $5k is absurd race engine money.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:36 PM   #24
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

That's a lot of money, but if a guy can't do all the work from not knowing the ins and outs, it would be worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
If you can't rebuild a small block 350/383 for $2k or less then you are doing something wrong. $5k is absurd race engine money.
I rebuilt the 305 SBC that I put in my '68 Skylark, and I'm pretty sure I was into it less than $1k, but that was 20 years ago. Of course, the only sublet work was the machine shop. They supplied the parts, too, but I assembled it. $75 would have got the pistons and the crank installed, though.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote