The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2017, 08:37 AM   #1
Aragard

Project ''Lego bricks'' 72 GMC k20 stepside

Hello,

Since the first time i saw a 67-72, near Montreal, i fall in love, i knew i wanted one so i started looking for one and they are WAAAY overprice here. 4x4 are really rare and if you find one, it is stolen so there is no title. For 2x4, they are not that rare, but i wanted a 4x4.
I am a long time lurker, always looking at those 4x4 build, gathering informations for when it was the time for me.

I wanted one but up here in Quebec it is hard to find a fine one. Either you pay a big price or you don't have the title.
I went the cheap way, getting one that needs a lot of love.
When i showed the pictures to my girlfriend, she said it was a big Lego set because the PO already put it to the frame. That's why it is project Lego

I did a 14 hours back and forth to get this one. It is a GMC 72 k20 stepside with title. It is an old iron minning company truck up in Sept-iles.
Here is some pictures https://imgur.com/a/r2ac3

I have 2 wooden pallet full of truck parts, one is a 350 4bolt motor that needs a refresh ( 2x cylinder have rust ).
The other one have a 4 speed (SM465??) and a np205.
The truck seems complete, exept for the windshield and the seat.
At some place, there is 1/8 - 3/16 of putty on the doors and the fender. Gonna replace those

So for the project, it will be a frame off restauration, it won't be a show truck but a driveable truck.
I have the plan to :

1. Clean the transmission, tcase and putting new seals. Put new brakes, u joint, verify diff, put the transmission and tcase back in, clean frame and paint it with POR15.

2. Body work on the cabin. I am gonna get all the putty out of it, sand blast and see the damage. I already know i need 1 inner rocker, 2 outer rocker, a cab corner, a crossmember, 2x A pillar. ( Which order should i do it ? ). Gonna buy 2x new door because putty and holes.

3. Front clip. 2x New fender, repair inner fender, sandblast front grille so see damage, after ??

4. Stepside, ouuuff the is a lot of job here. I am not sure yet what to do with it, the tail gate is good, but the fender and the step (?) is scrap for sure. The rest seems fine.

5. Final step would be to put it back together and see what it looks like !

Any tips will be welcome, i will post more pics as this build go forward !

PS: Sorry if i made mistake, it is not my native language.
Aragard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:43 AM   #2
Aragard

Re: Project ''Lego bricks'' 72 GMC k20 stepside

Little update.

I found that the driver rear wheel was stuck. I started by removing the drum and was still jammed.
I looked for the bearings and the inner one was shot. So i ordered 2 new bearings and the seal. To get the right bearing, i checked on the internet using the BOM number. It is a dana 60 4.10.

I started to remove everything to start the frame cleanoff. My dad and i removed the cab and the stepside bed.
https://imgur.com/a/PfnEu

The cab is in bad shape, it needs pretty much everything ( rocker, inner rocker, a pillar, rear pillar, driver floor pan, cab corner). We can see the original color behind the gaz tank. Here some pictures https://imgur.com/a/RxFZO

For the bed, the stepside fender and the step is not reusable. Gonna buy new one. The rest is ok.

And the frame, i removed the brake and gaz line. I will clean it off with a degreaser and a pressure washer and i will paint it using POR15. I just hope it will work.
Aragard is offline   Reply With Quote