The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-24-2020, 05:37 PM   #1
cj847

What does it really take to paint a truck?

I have some ideas but am not sure I have a good list. I was surprised how poor the information was on the internet. Everyone wants to sell you one item, but they don't tell you the accessories you must have to use it. I am wanting to know what it will cost to buy everything. I need a list of EVERYTHING I need. I am debating between an Eastwood roll on primer kit vs buying a spray gun. I am not planning a show paint job just something that looks ok. I think ill take it to a shop for final paint, trying to save money on bodywork and sanding labor.

I think I need:
-body hammers, etc (i have)
-Sandpaper and blocks (multiple shapes and multiple grits)
-bondo
-bondo spreaders and board
-A good compressor (I have)
-a filter/dryer
-a regulator (if not included with the gun)
-a paint gun stand
-paint filters
-gun cleaning kit
-various chemicals
-a paint gun (or multiple guns)

I have seen youtube videos of people claiming to prime and paint a vehicle with one gun and a pancake compressor. I'm calling BS on that. There is no way they are maintaining a decent pattern and a wet edge with a dinky compressor. My compressor is 25 gal with the compressor and motor as separate items (ie not a cheap oil less). And i am questioning if that is enough air.

I just want to avoid thinking I can buy a $50 gun and paint something, when the accessories are going to cost 3 to 10 times that.

Anyway, please let me know what else I need. Thanks in advance.
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:36 PM   #2
kaycee

Re: What does it really take to paint a truck?

Might want to go to the paint and body section
63 IMPALA 327
kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:54 PM   #3
MDPotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj847 View Post
I have some ideas but am not sure I have a good list. I was surprised how poor the information was on the internet. Everyone wants to sell you one item, but they don't tell you the accessories you must have to use it. I am wanting to know what it will cost to buy everything. I need a list of EVERYTHING I need. I am debating between an Eastwood roll on primer kit vs buying a spray gun. I am not planning a show paint job just something that looks ok. I think ill take it to a shop for final paint, trying to save money on bodywork and sanding labor.

I think I need:
-body hammers, etc (i have)
-Sandpaper and blocks (multiple shapes and multiple grits)
-bondo
-bondo spreaders and board
-A good compressor (I have)
-a filter/dryer
-a regulator (if not included with the gun)
-a paint gun stand
-paint filters
-gun cleaning kit
-various chemicals
-a paint gun (or multiple guns)

I have seen youtube videos of people claiming to prime and paint a vehicle with one gun and a pancake compressor. I'm calling BS on that. There is no way they are maintaining a decent pattern and a wet edge with a dinky compressor. My compressor is 25 gal with the compressor and motor as separate items (ie not a cheap oil less). And i am questioning if that is enough air.

I just want to avoid thinking I can buy a $50 gun and paint something, when the accessories are going to cost 3 to 10 times that.

Anyway, please let me know what else I need. Thanks in advance.
Here is my experience based on doing bodywork off and on as a hobby:

-I am leary of the roll-on primer kit. That sounds like a good way to trap solvents due to mill thickness in a single application. If you want good quality products, check out Southern Polyurethanes. Top quality products at great prices and an awesome forum for support. The owner is so easy to get ahold of when you need advice too.
-Sandpaper - get 36, 80, and 180 on sticky back rolls for use with durablocks. Also get 80, 320, and 600 grit sticky back discs for your DA sander. Durablock has a good variety pack. I also have a semi-flexible pad for wetsanding.
-I use RAGE Gold filler. Also get the "honey"-it's basically a thinner that will help with pinholes and leveling for flat applications.
-Yes on the external regulator - get a dial type to hook up to your gun.
-I have a dryer/separator from Eastwood and it has been just fine.
-I have a Devilbiss FLG4 gun for primer and it works great. It will spray epoxy (1.4 tip), 2K (1.8 tip), and the high build surfacers (2.2 tip).
-I have a Devilbiss Tekna copper with 7E7 cap for base and clear and it works great and doesn't break the bank.
-DA sander - I have an Ingersoll Rand 3/32" orbit
-Get yourself a masking cart - I got one from Harbor Freight and it's fine. It will hold your sandpaper rolls and masking paper. It also applies the masking tape to one edge of the masking paper to make masking easier.
-I use the Devilbiss DeKups system - I think 3M has a similar system. It's easier than cleaning out your entire cup every time and paint won't drip out of the lid of the cup. Sprays upside down too.
-I don't run an inline filter to my spray gun-just the filter on the wall.
-You will also need guide coat (the powder stuff lasts awhile), lots of lacquer thinner (for cleaning your gun), wax & grease remover (for cleaning prior to spraying or applying filler), tack cloths, latex gloves, and a respirator.
-I also use disposable paint suits from Uline - the kind that have a hood. You can get them with feet or without. I wear booties over my shoes to keep the paint off them or you can just wear shoes that you don't care about.
-Good cleaning wipes-when cleaning prior to paint, cleanliness is very important. Shop towels or paper towels won't cut it because they can't stand up to the solvent in wax & grease remover. They need to be lint-free and solvent resistant. Your local auto body supplier should have a good recommendation.
-Get the Clean Sheets brand mixing surface for filler. It's really easy to just tear off the sheet after you've used it and they last quite awhile.
-I don't know about a 25 gal compressor, that's a little small. It's not a question of pressure, but of CFM because HVLP guns take a lot of CFM. I have a 70 gal that makes about 10 CFM and it keeps up but it runs almost constantly when I'm spraying or using the DA.
-Something to keep the paint off your floor. I use clear plastic as it is cheap.
-Laser temperature gun - make sure your surface is warm enough to spray on before proceeding.
-Mixing cups - I use these fairly often. The DeKups system has a measuring component, but it's hard to see through the liner to the measuring stick after you've already filled the cup and it's time to refill, unless it's clear coat.
-Strainers and stirring sticks-typically the auto body supplier will give you these if you buy primer/base/clear from them. But they're cheap too.

That's my $0.02.
1978 Chevy Scottsdale K20
1993 Chevy C1500 - 5.3/T56 swapped
2008 Silverado Duramax
MDPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:14 PM   #4
Barnfind46

MD covered it pretty good. If you shoot basecoat/clearcoat and get trash in the paint you will need some 1000 and 2000 grit wet or dry and a buffer with rubbing compound followed by polishing compound. If you search in the paint & body section you can find answers to most of your questions.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:00 PM   #5
truckster

Two things you didn't list:
1. Time. Lots of time. Prep work will be 95% of your paint job.
2. Patience. Because when you think you've got it just right, you'll discover it's not as good as you want it to be.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:38 AM   #6
Stover93

Lots of good info here as well.

http://autobodystore.com/forum/forum...ral-Discussion

It’s an active board with all levels of painters. I learned a lot from them.
Stover93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:10 AM   #7
custom10nut

This is amazing.
In FIVE responses, just about everything is covered.
The only aspects would like to add:
Time and Patience——Don’t cut any corners. You’ll regret that
A proper place/Booth. As long as you have a decent garage, you can build a good temporary paint booth without too much difficulty or crazy amount of money.
In the end, you may not end up with a “House of Kolors”, $15k, show winning paint job, but you will be able to say “I painted it myself” , and for me that makes it all worth it.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:52 PM   #8
Dr Jekyll

I went through this with my frame off restoration. Step 1 is figuring out which gun/guns you want to use. Step 2 a compressor that will push your guns. Step 3 your filtration and dryer. Step 4 PPE mask, painter suit, and eye protection.

After that you want to lower your expectations, it’s your first paint job. There will be runs, missed spots, filer pin holes you couldn’t see, etc. However, after you finish you’ll think about painting differently. You can always sand and re coat.

I recommend you take one fender or your hood all the way to complete. This will get the kinks out of your process. You don’t want to figure out that you had contaminants in your air supply, or didn’t use the right grit of sand paper after you finished the whole truck.
Dr Jekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:54 PM   #9
MAC71Cheyenne

Cash! ��
MAC71Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 02:01 PM   #10
Grumpy old man

I'm a firm believer in "do it yourself" but your not going to be able to get by with any 110 volt / 25 gallon compressor doing body work let alone spraying paint . you'll kill it in the process

Here's a suggestion . Run it by your local Maaco auto paint and talk with them , You could pull the trim and glass and buy new gaskets and glass for what you'll spend in materials and time doing it yourself if your not looking for show quality paint job you would have it done way faster and considering all the costs involved you could be way ahead $ and time wise . Any decent body shop willing to spray over your bodywork won't be guaranteeing anything . Just finding a shop to spray it after your done doing all your own work is tough , They make more money changing pre painted bumper covers

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 01:24 PM   #11
dsy1

Maybe obvious, but use a good respirator with replaceable vapor filters.
dsy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 02:41 PM   #12
Ptjsk

Due to the cost of a decent paint job, I've taken on painting three of my recent projects.

I've asked and received several instructions on how to prepare and complete the job(s).

One thing I can tell you is that it takes a crazy amount of time and work to prepare a car for paint.

I have gained sooooo much respect to quality paint and body men (and women), as you soon learn how much labor and expertise it takes to complete a quality paint job.

There is just no short cuts involved. I kept track of preparing, painting and completing a paint job on my '55 Chevy Nomad. I had well over 550 hours into the process. Granted, I'm an amateur and a professional can probably cut that down by at least 50%. But, I stuck with it and wanted it to come out right.

In the end, it came out extremely well! And I have prepared and painted two other cars since then. I just did my '72 Jimmy. Time was cut down as it was my third car I have completed.

Do you plan to paint metallic, or solid. I still wouldn't try metallic as I just don't have near enough time on the gun, and I certainly wouldn't want to end up with tiger stripes in it. I do feel confident with solid colors, as they're much easier to apply.

I would offer encouragement for you to do it yourself, and commend you for asking questions up front. Proper tools are extremely important, as well as quality tools.

Good luck and don't cut corners anywhere. They will definitely show up in your final product.

Pat
Ptjsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 02:43 PM   #13
Ptjsk

My finished product.
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2020, 03:05 PM   #14
Dr Jekyll

I agree that you need more than 110v 25 gallon compressor, grumpy. I went with this IR 220 with a 60 gallon tank. The price was right and it check all my requirements. I think it was about $1000 at the time. Notice the high CFM?(21 @ 40psi) I couldn’t get enough CFM to push my guns when the output fitting was only 1/4”, which is what smaller tanks will have. This one has a 1/2” output fitting. All of the plumbing from output fitting until the dryer output fitting(which is 1/4) was 1/2 inch or bigger, to avoid bottle necking the air flow. Here is the compressor, data placard, and 3 stage dryer.

Name:  CDC018A0-93B8-4D4A-8818-1A875885377E.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  51.6 KB Name:  7B0F2C59-0A87-4E3B-B5FF-0AD26274B04B.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  47.6 KB Name:  676FC87D-C70B-46BC-BC7E-357B5D8020A9.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  52.4 KB

I haven’t reinstalled this since I moved into my new house, but it’s on my immediate to do list. I need to wire the 220v and reinstall the 1” steel plumbing to the dryer. I got most of this info for my setup from this forum http://autobodystore.com/forum/index.php
I started out using this fresh air hood from hobby air https://axispro.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4
But ended up using a 3m disposable $20 mask because I didn’t like dragging the air hose for the hood and the air hose for the gun around in a crowded garage. I think it was this one https://www.amazon.com/3M-07192-Pain.../dp/B0002STR22 the only down side is it leaves your eyes exposed. Does anybody use a half mask like this when spraying? What do you wear to protect your eyes?

Edit: Ptjsk, I saw your jimmy thread yesterday, nice job!!

Last edited by Dr Jekyll; 11-26-2020 at 03:14 PM.
Dr Jekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 03:27 PM   #15
Ptjsk

[QUOTE=Dr Jekyll;

Edit: Ptjsk, I saw your jimmy thread yesterday, nice job!![/QUOTE]

Thanks Bud!
Old 12-02-2020, 10:35 AM   #16
j_cst_10

This is a great thread, I have done a lot of research myself but this thread is extremely helpful in answering some of the questions I had.

I've got a white '91 burb with the paint falling off of it that I was going to give a crack at. The body is relatively rust free and pretty straight, it spent most of it's life in Florida so the clearcoat is completely gone.

I've also got some spare 67-72 hoods laying around for practice.

1966 Coronet 440 35k mile survivor
1991 Suburban 2500 454/4L80E 2wd
1985 Monte Carlo SS 383 Sbc, t-56 magnum 6spd and Ford 9"
j_cst_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:11 PM   #17
gmc684x4

A diy water condensor will help before filtration and desiccant water trap

https://www.homemadetools.net/homema...sor-water-trap
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:11 PM   #18
biketopia

Take a class at community college and put in time with the teacher if they seem knowledgeable. My body work/welding teacher built these trucks all day everyday on the side after working a normal day at a body shop and then teaching two nights a week. He helped me so much before and after class the two semesters I was there it was amazing.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:27 PM   #19
May70

3m accuspray gun with the pps system is excellent.

I wouldn't buy a bunch of stuff you wont need for a while. Start with what you need right now to get to work. Too many people follow the same method when building a truck and part way through they end up selling everything and loosing a ton of money.

If you cant invest in a space to work (dedicated to this) and a large compressor (depending on the gun you use I wouldn't go less than about 16 cfm @ 90 psi), do not undertake this. A compressor is an investment, don't buy the bare minimum. The price to value really doesn't get good until about the ~$1000 range. Tractor Supply has sales on their IR compressors. You can get the 80 gal 2 stage for under 1000 which is a great deal for a quality unit. Its over 18 cfm I think.

By the way, I saw your thread on your truck. Ill send you a PM as an FYI

How to repair that rusted out 67-72 c10-c30! Please subscribe!
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaycoCustomRestorations
May70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:58 PM   #20
notsolo

Lots of good advise here, people have done amazing paint work in their garages and even in the driveway. More money on better equipment helps improve the finished product....Keeping it clean and Time spent on prep and constant even coats of primer and top coat, makes for a good quality paint job. Moving the over spray out, and off your paint work will help. Some good YouTube clips on painting help develop good habits with the paint gun and where to start, edges door openings etc.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:20 PM   #21
IRQVET

As a former commercial aircraft painter, I'll give you things to think about and hype to be avoided:

1. Air Compressor- Don't let anyone tell you- you need a large air compressor (60 gallon plus/ dual stage). Although its nice to have, a DIY garage paint job can be done with a 10 gallon/ 2hp air compressor. I've painted several cars and trucks using one with zero issues. (Just don't buy fast activator, and you'll have all the time in the world to lay down paint) and wait to have your compressor catch up. 90% of the time, with a HVLP gun, those little compressors will suprise you.

2. Prep is key. Think 69% prep, 30% clean environment (and work piece), and 1% paint.

3. Tempature and humidity can kill any attempt at a good paint job. So that might mean laying down paint during odd hours if you live in an area where the temps get crazy.

4. Don't buy an expensive gun, those Habor Freight Purple guns work fine. Just buy more than one so you can rotate around. They are so cheap, I use them as disposable. Use them once, and chunk them.

5. An oil/water separator on your compressor will be your best friend, so invest!

6. Practice with your new gun on a cardboard box BEFORE painting a vehicle. You'll get practice with your fan pattern and painting multiple surfaces (horizontal/ vertical). The sweet spot on those HF gun is wide open, then back off a quarter turn. Seems to be the sweet spot every time in my experience with them.

7. Read the label on your paint and adhere to mix ratio's and fash times. Don't eye ball or rambo anything if your new to painting. I've seen ego's mess up more paint jobs than I'd like to admit.

8. I've painted in professional booths, aircaft hangers, garages, and even driveways. Gotten excellent results no matter where I painted. Although its a skill, the stuff ain't rocket science. The fact that your asking the right questions and taking your time will pay off later.

9. Dupont or Eastwood paint products are very forgiving if your a novice.

Being an aircraft painter I'll leave out any advice on bodywork. All we did was pop rivet and replace sheet metal, and very small amouts of body filler (couldn't use a ton because of the weight) so a traditional autobody guy could give you way better advice than I can.

Last edited by IRQVET; 12-03-2020 at 07:49 PM.
IRQVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:47 PM   #22
Grumpy old man

. ^ "Air Compressor- Don't let anyone tell you- you need a large air compressor (60 gallon plus/ dual stage)."

Unless you want to run any air tools actually doing body work on your truck .

"Being an aircraft painter I'll leave out any advice on bodywork."

Attached Images

Old 12-03-2020, 10:36 PM   #23
LS short box

So I don't know if this would work for you but here's how I painted my 68.
Thru one of his body guys I met a local body shop owner that is a car guy but as a business owner insurance work keeps the doors open. He would love to do a couple of hot rods every year. I met with him said how about me doing all the dent and sanding in his shop? He looked at me and said what? I was soon retiring and had the time. He was kind enough to come over and took a look at my truck. He said let's go for it. He did make me sign a document releasing him from any injuries while in his shop.
So in my shop I stripped the cab and front sheet to bare steel. I do have 80 gallon compressor so the body shop mixed up the epoxy primer and I sprayed the cab, doors and front sheet metal in my shop to stop any rust.
Then I brought parts to his shop and they supervised me sanding and sanding and sanding until they looked great. Didn't let me use any power tools sanding, I think they liked to see me sweat and I did sweat. I have never done any body work before. The shop did the spray painting and cut buff. The owner made it clear I didn't have the skills for that.
It was a great time. Oh it cost me the cost of materials and more than a couple cases of beer.
Here's a few pics. From the start to the finish as it's sits today.
Attached Images

LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:55 AM   #24
MDPotter

I will have to respectfully disagree on a couple things:

I would only buy a HF paint gun if you're painting a farm implement or if you want to hate yourself later. Paint guns are not that expensive and you can go through several cheap ones for more cost than one good one. My Devilbiss FLG4 (primer gun) works just fine for how much bodywork I do and it was right around $250 and my Devilbiss Tekna copper was about the same it's been a great base/clear gun.

You do need a good sized air compressor for any significant amount of spraying. HVLP stands for High Volume Low Pressure so they take a lot of air. If you're just painting motorcycle parts, fine. But painting cars takes a lot of air. A 20-gal is going to drop in pressure very quick when you start spraying and won't be able to keep up. The reason for a big tank is to have a large amount of compressed air stored up so you can maintain the pressure and CFM the gun requires. Also, a small compressor won't be able to run any useful air tools like a DA sander.
1978 Chevy Scottsdale K20
1993 Chevy C1500 - 5.3/T56 swapped
2008 Silverado Duramax
MDPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 11:07 AM   #25
Grumpy old man

Not to mention a tiny air compressor trying to keep up produces heat in the tank = moisture in the lines laying on the concrete floor . It's really not debatable you need a 60 - 80 gallon air compressor .