The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-01-2020, 05:48 PM   #1
old51sedan

292 Aluminum Intake

I have a 292 that I want to install a set of Langston headers on, I have the headers and looking for a Clifford aluminum 4 barrel intake with the water cooling built in, they are not available right now. My question is that I have been told that the two of them will not fit together, the intake will hit the headers or vice versa. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I hate to buy something then not be able to use it.
old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 06:25 PM   #2
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: 292 Aluminum Intake

The Offy intake will fit.
If you must have it, you'll have to rig up carb heat with a plate under the carb and tap into the heater hose circuit.
The Clifford intake was made to be run with Clifford headers.
The Offenhauser was made to mate with the stock cast iron exhaust manifold, if desired.
I have an Offy intake/ Clifford headers / Edelbrock 1404 4V carb. In Arizona, I don't need carb heat.

Have you contacted Clifford Performance to ask if their intake and Langdon headers are compatible? It may be a matter of grinding down some edges.
You can try EBay, Amazon, WTB classifieds in Inliners.org and on this site. Check local Craigslist. You could get lucky.
Attached Images

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 12-01-2020 at 06:32 PM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:39 AM   #3
old51sedan

Brian,
Always nice to hear from you, I believe I will try and contact someone at Cliffords to find out for sure. I'm in Florida now for a while and I will try to find something around here. The Fenton headers, unlike the Langston ones are taped for the heat, but I can either tap them or the exhaust pipe down lower if need be. I have them on the 235 in my 51, will try and post that.
Attached Images

old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:30 PM   #4
'68OrangeSunshine

Larry Page, ''Twisted 6'' is in Daytona. You could PM him here on this site with that handle.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:00 PM   #5
RichardJ

Correct me , if I am wrong, but I believe the Langdon's headers are now being sold by 12 Bolt.com. I'm pretty sure you mean Langdon's, not Langston

For the first part of your post, all you need to do is look at 12bolt.com . This page describes what is needed and with pictures.

>1. The stock intake and Offy intake need to be trimmed to share 2 bolts.<

The Clifford does NOT appear to need any trimming.

https://www.12bolt.com/store/p153/Ex...-250-292_.html

This video shows a guy testing the Clifford on a dyno with tube headers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt2UxQCwAJo

This freeze frame shows him dropping the clifford and the tube headers at the 2:00 mark. I highly recommend replacing all the bolts with threaded studs. As you may know, the third hole in from each end, came from the factory with threaded studs.
When using tube headers, the END locator studs should also be replaced with threaded studs for a total of eight.
I've never used the langdon cast headers, so I can't say if the end locator pins should be replaced with longer threaded studs, but I would not use bolts like they show in the 12bolt images.
Stock one-piece manifolds will break, if the ends are bolted down.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ud#post8077723

The second image shows my engine on the engine stand 15 years ago. I just had to see what it was going to look like with the clifford and carter on it. Everything is just resting on the studs, with no fasteners. The hedman headers had been on with the stock 1 bbl for about 15 years before that. No heat provision used.

I am sure you will disagree, but i doubt those copper tubes on the Fenton headers are providing much heat to the stock manifold. You can see the heat markings on the copper stops about two inches from the exhaust. The other copper tube probably shows the same heat marks. The exhaust pressure in both manifolds will be the same.
The heated exhaust will not travel through the tubes. You would need some form of heat regulated blockage to increase the pressure on one side in order to have flow. Even then, you need tubing that is 1/2-1" to get enough flow.

I have a thick aluminum plate under my Clifford that has hollowed out pocket for the water to heat the manifold.

It actually has minimal effect in my opinion. The copper tubing loses too much heat before it gets to the manifold. it needs much larger tubing to be of much value.

In CA , it doesn't even need the choke for half the year.
Attached Images