The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2020, 11:59 PM   #26
SkinnyG

Re: Speakers in doors

Back in the day, these were just trucks - nothing special. And we cut doors all day long to put speakers in.

If vet57air is building this for HIM, he should put the speakers wherever he wants, in whatever way he wants. It doesn't look like he's building this truck as a financial investment, but rather - the truck he wants to own. Freakin' give'r.

My '61 would probably be worth more if it was simply restored, but I can't handle keeping anything "stock." In the end, I need to build it or "me." Vet57air needs to build his for vet57air. Even if that means cutting the doors.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:33 AM   #27
tigerburns

Don't listen to Canadians; they have no idea what they are talking abooot

In all seriousness though, SkinnyG is right. You do You!
tigerburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 03:42 PM   #28
joesscamaro

I vote if you want them in the doors, stick them in the doors. I've admired your build thread and I'm pretty sure you're going to make everything look nice and at home if you decide to stick them in the doors.
joesscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:55 AM   #29
AcampoDave

Yeah, people think nothing of pitching their original motor in the scrap heap in favor of an LS...we cut our springs, trash our drum brakes, throw out our original dash and bench seats and the list goes on and on. Do your thing and dont even worry. We're not talking about a Duesenberg here

Last edited by AcampoDave; 12-02-2020 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Typo
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:25 PM   #30
88Stanger

Scoti has several great points, same thought I have always said.
Look, these awesome works of Art are just that, works of Art. I do not care what anyone says about my work of Art if it is negative. I build my truck, my way, period. If it is not what you like, ok.... that is nice and i respect what you like or do not, BUT I do not need you to tell me how "bad, or wrong or ugly" it is, that is your opinion and you are welcome to it, and if it is negative, keep it to yourself.
I cut down my long bed 1969 C10 and posted and to some you would have thought i killed someone. Some got downright ugly and mean about it. Now i am a big boy and can take it, and dish it right back, but come on.. I am not a fan of long beds, some are and i think that is great. There are some very awesome long bed builds on here and i like them, they look great even though its not my thing. I will not say anything negative to them about that, because what they do to their ride is there business. If yo ask me my opinion about something, i will be respectful and tell you what my thoughts are, but also tell you to do what you want and what you like. Sorry for going a bit long, i just get frustrated sometimes about this...
I say if you want to put speakers in the door for whatever reason, do it. There are lots of ways i am sure to do it and make it look awesome, but anyway it is done, make it yours.
Example: in my 1966 C10 the dash was cut for Din Stereo and well I am leaving it and going back with one because i like my music, i like to hear it and sometime share it. LOL Subs in back, mids and tweets up front.... and so on. I also plan to install a roll cage loop inside the cab, exit the rear of cab and go into the bed. I have been told that this is stupid, wrong to do to a stock factory short bed... .yada yada .... Owe well, its mine and will be mine. lol
So build your truck the way YOU want it and if others do not like it, oh well.... alot of others will....
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:17 PM   #31
norcalcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
Back in the day, these were just trucks - nothing special. And we cut doors all day long to put speakers in.

If vet57air is building this for HIM, he should put the speakers wherever he wants, in whatever way he wants. It doesn't look like he's building this truck as a financial investment, but rather - the truck he wants to own. Freakin' give'r.

My '61 would probably be worth more if it was simply restored, but I can't handle keeping anything "stock." In the end, I need to build it or "me." Vet57air needs to build his for vet57air. Even if that means cutting the doors.
Don't forget he did ask OUR thoughts...
norcalcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 01:09 AM   #32
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

1983, I just got my truck home. Ordered a panasonic stereo system from sears with 6x9 Triaxial speakers. Within a month I had cut holes in the doors. Of all my friends, I never got one comment saying I shouldn't have. It's what most of us did back then.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 12:22 AM   #33
jocko

I think it's clear that you should do what you want to do. But you did ask for opinions...

The point I was trying to make earlier is that YES, back in the day, people cut doors and dashes to get radios and speakers. That was really the only option 'back then' - but we aren't 'back then' any longer - there are hidden systems that don't cost too much and sound much better than any system that was ever stuffed in a dash or a door 'back then' - so, in other words, the only reason (in my pea brain) to cut dash or door today is because wants that specific look. And someone might! Those grilles are good looking. But my point is cutting in either spot is no longer a necessary evil.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 11:32 AM   #34
vet57air

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
I think it's clear that you should do what you want to do. But you did ask for opinions...

The point I was trying to make earlier is that YES, back in the day, people cut doors and dashes to get radios and speakers. That was really the only option 'back then' - but we aren't 'back then' any longer - there are hidden systems that don't cost too much and sound much better than any system that was ever stuffed in a dash or a door 'back then' - so, in other words, the only reason (in my pea brain) to cut dash or door today is because wants that specific look. And someone might! Those grilles are good looking. But my point is cutting in either spot is no longer a necessary evil.
Thx again for all your thoughts. I am trying to build the best pro-tour or resto-mod truck I can and I am doing it all myself....everything. I like the looks of the early C10's and am trying to keep that flavour in the build, but it is all about compromise. The interior will look stock, but custom steering wheel to accommodate the paddle shifter. Stock radio but updated with all the modern conveniences and able to run my amps/dps and custom speakers. Stock seat but updated with bolsters because if it was stock, meaning flat my ass would slide off in extreme cornering. You get the idea. I bought some retro sound kick panels and really don't like the look in my build. They stickout and scream modern. When I'm done you likely will not see any speakers. I just built a sub woofer box and used existing holes to mount it, but you will notice that it sits on a hugely modified transmission tunnel. I am building this truck for me.
Name:  woofer.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  58.4 KB
vet57air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 01:00 PM   #35
SCOTI

Box looks like a solid/well constructed base.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 01:39 PM   #36
vet57air

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Box looks like a solid/well constructed base.
Thx . I'm no carpenter and it was a bit of work, lots of angles. Got the rough design idea from member par4tom. He has a great thread on audio install.
vet57air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 02:14 PM   #37
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by vet57air View Post
Thx . I'm no carpenter and it was a bit of work, lots of angles. Got the rough design idea from member par4tom. He has a great thread on audio install.
Yes sir. I've checked it out.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote