The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2020, 01:31 PM   #1
Ryanz

Added Sway Bar

My brother and I got my sway bar installed this weekend. Very happy with it. It’s certainly helped the darting and stability. Unfortunately it still has a bit of mind of its own. The only thing we haven’t tried is shimming the castor.

When I went to drive it again, for some reason my steering wheel was off center. Why would this be? We had to replace spring caps of course to accommodate. Drives fine, but do you think I need another alignment. It’s no big deal to straighten my wheel, just curious as to why it would be out of whack.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Ryanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 03:43 PM   #2
SeventyOne

Re: Added Sway Bar

Caster will help.

where'd you get parts for the swaybar?
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 03:49 PM   #3
Ryanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyOne View Post
Caster will help.

where'd you get parts for the swaybar?
We made the brackets.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ryanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:48 PM   #4
BobbyK

Location: Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,Mi.

Nice work!
BobbyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:44 AM   #5
jjzepplin

Those are nice brackets for sure!
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 07:22 PM   #6
68ls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanz View Post
My brother and I got my sway bar installed this weekend. Very happy with it. It’s certainly helped the darting and stability. Unfortunately it still has a bit of mind of its own. The only thing we haven’t tried is shimming the castor.

When I went to drive it again, for some reason my steering wheel was off center. Why would this be? We had to replace spring caps of course to accommodate. Drives fine, but do you think I need another alignment. It’s no big deal to straighten my wheel, just curious as to why it would be out of whack.
What swaybar kit did you use?
68ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 08:24 PM   #7
hemi43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanz View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
Adding a sway bar up front was one of the best mods I made also. Increasing caster should be your next step. The axle already has 3 degrees of caster, but I made some 3.5 degree tapered shims for a total of 6.5 degrees. Your wheel is probably off because now your front axle is solidly mounted, and not relying on the flimsy front springs to keep the axle aligned. Another bonus of the sway bar is safety. Without one, if a spring breaks, or if a spring bolt breaks the wheel will get driven backwards and you'll end up in the ditch. This is impossible with a sway bar. Set the toe-in to 3/16" and all will be perfect assuming the rest of your front end is in good working order.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote