The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2004, 05:08 PM   #1
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

everyone please read

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...threadid=90662

sad when a fellow board member gets burned so badly. XXL I feel for you ... I hope Tony makes good on this
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 05:27 PM   #2
1971 Cheyenne

Thanks for posting it here Liz, I n ever would have seen it on the review board....

Dayum! thats all I can really say...
1983 M1009 CUCV Military K5 Blazer
1981 Dodge 1 ton 4x4 dually flatbed
1971 Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 05:40 PM   #3
krue
Designated A-hole!

Kinda leaves me speechless....
Tony....

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 05:50 PM   #4
cableguy0

wow that is sad in my opinion when you pay a professional to do a job it should look professional.xxl i think you handled this great all things considered i would have been in that shop myself at least twice that is totally unacceptable especially considering the amount of money involved in the repairs
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 06:04 PM   #5
68 Suburban

Quote:
Originally posted by cableguy0
wow that is sad in my opinion when you pay a professional to do a job it should look professional.xxl i think you handled this great all things considered i would have been in that shop myself at least twice that is totally unacceptable especially considering the amount of money involved in the repairs
Like they say, hind site is 20/20. I would think this would put anyone on warning to keep a big job like this close to home so you can personally keep an eye on it.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:54 PM   #6
mooneyes

..i think if you take something to a profesional "custom" shop you shouldn't have to keep an eye on it...i wish him luck
70 lwb 305/700r driver
78 caprice project
02 cavalier D.D ( hate it!!)
mooneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 08:55 PM   #7
68 Suburban

Quote:
Originally posted by mooneyes4b
..i think if you take something to a profesional "custom" shop you shouldn't have to keep an eye on it...i wish him luck
Definately shouldn't have to.....
Old 02-15-2004, 09:35 PM   #8
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Wasn't Tony banned?
XXL, you need your $$ mack at a MINIMUM.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 09:51 PM   #9
bagged91
Out draggin'

Judging by what I have seen in the pictures, you do need to get back some if not all of the money from that job. I say some of the money because the glass is cut and the chop is roughed in (no pun intended ) Whatever the outcome, I wish you luck.

L8R - Joe
72 C10 Burb (ex. Cheesewagon)SOLD
72 C20 Burb parts truck
71 C10 Burb "project"
bagged91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 10:00 PM   #10
cag17

First of all in Tony's defense this guy made some very poor decisions along the way. First, for the back of the cab, he used fiberglass instead of metal and then when Tony asked if the guy wanted tony to fix he said that he could afford it. Then the rockers were weled on without the door or fenders on the truck and everyone knows that you can't do that. Then when Tony tried to explain this to the guy he couldn't afford to fix it right, so what did you expect Tony to with someone else's junk to begin with and the guy wouldn't even let Tony do it right. Then before Tony can get the truck painted this nice fellow says that he is going to sue Tony no matter how the cab turns out and Tony still throws an outstanding paint job on it. NOW, for the kicker, the brilliant guys that picks this cab up comes in a ford ranger and puts the cab in the bed of it to drive from North Carolina to New York and the idiot thought that the two inchs of fiberglass would ride sliding up and down of bed rail of the ranger and stay in place. Personally, I think that this guy needs to look in the mirror and think about some of the stupid decisions that he made along the way and put the blame on the delivery guy. I will post picks later to let everyone know that it is true.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:00 PM   #11
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I say all the money becouse a top quality job was prommised, and was not produced.
Tony...step up and defend your self here, I am not one to stir up the bashing of ppl, but this is total B.S.
Give him a GOOD example of what he asked, or return the cash. (My opion, not law...you claim to have ethics, show them to up)
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 10:12 PM   #12
cag17

Tony's computer is down and he asked me to look and see because he knew that this guy was going to do this crap.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:14 PM   #13
cag17

As for the work, Tony is the best that I have seen and I'll put anyone up against him. Your listening to a guy that put two inches of fiberglass on the back of a cab to smooth it and can't understand why it looks bad.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:14 PM   #14
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Quote:
Originally posted by cag17
First of all in Tony's defense this guy made some very poor decisions along the way. First, for the back of the cab, he used fiberglass instead of metal and then when Tony asked if the guy wanted tony to fix he said that he could afford it. Then the rockers were weled on without the door or fenders on the truck and everyone knows that you can't do that. Then when Tony tried to explain this to the guy he couldn't afford to fix it right, so what did you expect Tony to with someone else's junk to begin with and the guy wouldn't even let Tony do it right. Then before Tony can get the truck painted this nice fellow says that he is going to sue Tony no matter how the cab turns out and Tony still throws an outstanding paint job on it. NOW, for the kicker, the brilliant guys that picks this cab up comes in a ford ranger and puts the cab in the bed of it to drive from North Carolina to New York and the idiot thought that the two inchs of fiberglass would ride sliding up and down of bed rail of the ranger and stay in place. Personally, I think that this guy needs to look in the mirror and think about some of the stupid decisions that he made along the way and put the blame on the delivery guy. I will post picks later to let everyone know that it is true.
not to be rude , but are you his lawyer or his wife ? IMO there are two sides to the story and Tony has his chance to explain... but how is calling people names helping anything at all?
Old 02-15-2004, 10:21 PM   #15
dinnut

wow, this is sad! you should get all of your money back. mostly all of the work has to be redone! very bad! the color isnt even close. i hope this gets justified!
Old 02-15-2004, 10:23 PM   #16
Slams_58
Account Suspended

Quote:
As for the work, Tony is the best that I have seen and I'll put anyone up against him. Your listening to a guy that put two inches of fiberglass on the back of a cab to smooth it and can't understand why it looks bad.
How does that explain the miss match of color and the stain coming thru the paint? Or the lack of alignment in body panels?
Slams_58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 10:25 PM   #17
cag17

Well honestly, it is hard to make sh** look like gold. The guys didn't give Tony a chance to make the necessary changes to make the truck right.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:27 PM   #18
cag17

As for the name calling, I appologize to any offended parties but this is obserd
Old 02-15-2004, 10:32 PM   #19
cag17

By the way, he failed to mention that he added suicide doors and bearclaw latches in the middle of all of this. That is the reason for the added cost.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:41 PM   #20
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
First of all in Tony's defense...
Setting aside the name calling for a moment, the statements you have made in your post are not very accurate. And I'm not sure who you are in this business transaction except for the guy whose truck got more attention than mine.

First, while I did attempt some work on the cab myself, I asked Tony once he had the cab in front of him to tell me what it would take to fix. He told me, quoted me a price, and said he could do it. I gave him carte blanche to fix it as he saw fit (given that he had presented himself as the expert).

As for the paint job, your comment re "outstanding paint job" is downright absurd. The truck is right in front of me. If this is an outstanding paint job, I'm afraid a lesser "production" paint job would have been done with a roller with a half-inch nap and a can of latex paint from Home Depot. Either that or you didn't actually see the paint job. I'm guessing the latter.

As for the cab riding in a Ranger, my thanks again to Bob-- Old Rusty C10 (he's the guy you're sarcastically referring to as 'brilliant'). I have absolutely no complaints about how the cab was transported back to me. There were a couple of small rub spots on the bottom rear of the cab that were inevitable regardless of how it would have been carried. Bob's ability to get the thing here without getting it beat up is a testament to his professionalism... and I rather doubt that the orange peel, dry spray, misaligned panels, etc., were a result of the truck being in the bed of a Ranger. Maybe I'm wrong there... Bob? Did your Ranger cause these bodywork problems?

And one more thing for now... maybe you can ask Tony why the roof chop is not level. A quick tape measure from the rear glass opening to the body line on the back of the cab shows that something's off by 3/8" or more. I'll put a tape to more locations when I get a chance. Maybe it's just the factory body line that's off. Or maybe Bob moved the body line while he was transporting it.

cag17, I'd be interested to hear your motive in all this. I'll tell you what mine is (or, rather, what it's not)... I'm not trying to beat Tony down on price. I've already paid him in full. I'm not trying to get him to do the job faster. I've already got the cab back (after a year). Frankly, I'd rather it had been a professional quality job. I'd have no reason to share any horror story with anyone here, and I'd be a happy camper, working on installing my new cab.

Any other ideas you'd like to share?
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 10:44 PM   #21
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Quote:
Well honestly, it is hard to make sh** look like gold. The guys didn't give Tony a chance to make the necessary changes to make the truck right.
Your articulate way of speaking sure is making tony's case for him. The upstanding defense so properly worded is sure to prove that XXL is in the wrong for expecting a nice custom cab when tony promised him one.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:46 PM   #22
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
By the way, he failed to mention that he added suicide doors and bearclaw latches in the middle of all of this. That is the reason for the added cost.
Yes, we did. In January, before a single minute of work had ever been performed. And he was paid a separate (documented) payment via USPS money order to acquire the hinges to do the work... but none of that was mentioned by me in my review since it wasn't particularly relevant to the discussion. We had come to a price agreement, including suicide doors, before any work began. The price change I mention in my review occurred just a few days ago, and was Tony attempting to get a little extra for his work beyond what our agreement covered (I presume he wanted more pay because the cab was there longer??)

BTW, I understand that you are Tony Pardue's nephew. Is this correct?
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 10:59 PM   #23
cag17

No, I am not kin to him in any way. I am an bistandard that had a few opions that I felt needed expressing. I am truly sorry that you are not happy with you truck but you would let Tony fix the rockers correctly becuase it was more money.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:59 PM   #24
Blue Beard

Personally this kind of issue is one thing to be stated...........totally another to argue about on the board..........
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 11:02 PM   #25
rolson1039

the following is two quotes from the reply to threads by tony pardues advocate cag 17:
"NOW, for the kicker, the brilliant guys that picks this cab up comes in a ford ranger and puts the cab in the bed of it to drive from North Carolina to New York and the idiot thought that the two inchs of fiberglass would ride sliding up and down of bed rail of the ranger and stay in place. Personally, I think that this guy needs to look in the mirror and think about some of the stupid decisions that he made along the way and put the blame on the delivery guy. I will post picks later to let everyone know that it is true."
"As for the work, Tony is the best that I have seen and I'll put anyone up against him. Your listening to a guy that put two inches of fiberglass on the back of a cab to smooth it and can't understand why it looks bad."
end of quotes from cag 17

This is the "brilliant guy" from NY who picked up the cab at tonys shop speaking. You by your own admission on the review boards were not even at the shop when the cab was loaded or hauled off therefore you dont know what transpired between me and tony and the three guys ( one of whom i believe to be his nephew) when we did load it. At best you got third hand information from tony and saw a couple of pictures that were taken by tony prior to leaving to cover his butt in case the cab was damaged by me while en route. This makes you a third party, and by no means any kind of credible witness to what went on and in any event clearly you have no knowledge about anything involving the loading and trucking of the piece. ( let me know if im using words too big for you ill be happy to talk in simple terms for you if you need to)
anyway the guys scratched the cab while loading it, and the scratches werent bad. the front had scratches on the piece where you bolt the inner fenders to and a couple of small scratches below the crease by the cab corners on the back of the cab Tony and his guys said dont bother to tie it down cause it would remove and damage the paint. My son and i pulled into the gas station and then after we were out of sight of the shop we stoppped and tied down the cab in the bed so it did not move on the 750 mile trip to Kennys house. The plastic bedliner did make one burr in the rear cab corner on the right side of the cab which i did tell kenny about, and kenny was fine with that.THAT was the ONLY damage caused by the actual trucking job (not related to loading or unloading, and when kenny, my son and i unloaded the cab we managed to do it without further scratching the cab at all) the problem was with the body work.there was, however many imperfections in the body work on this truck... the drip rail was as crappily filled as possible, there were more runs in the paint than ive ever seen on anything... hell painting with a wagner power painter would have been a better job, there were holes in the filler from lack of filling or lack of body putty after filling. the tops of the doors did not have gaps equal all the way around. the cowl curve was way off as compared to the windshield frame. there was fish eye all over the cab there was countless marks in filler on the firewall, there was filler flash all around that should have been removed , there was edges along the seams of the cab that were not straight and should have been ground down there were stains in the paint id imagine from not being prepsalled prior to paint.
frankly ive seen better body work on NYC taxi cabs, and kenny would have been better off taking his truck to EARL SCHEIB than having the work done by you people.
By the way your reference to me as an idiot, having not had a cross word with you or any problem with you you bring to mind a quote posted by another board member here whose name escapes me currently but you may well find some words of wisdom in it," tis better to remain silent and have the world think youre an idiot, than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt "heres some free friendly advice to you, sir.. i would run not walk to the nearest state run medical facility and sign up as a poster boy for what inbreeding and beastiality causes in the mind .. you are a shining example.

for others who read this i dont like to do personal attacks, but if one is going to attack me, ive been told ya slap me ill punch ya back. i mean no offense to anyone other than the intended target of my rage here I also originally posted this thinking that the speaker was tony's nephew, and now it is learned that this person who made these unkind and unflattering remarks to me was not. I sincerely apologize to tonys nephew and hope others re read this post and realize my error.

Last edited by rolson1039; 02-16-2004 at 11:54 AM.
rolson1039 is offline   Reply With Quote