The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-30-2005, 05:51 PM   #1
70 GMC shortbed 4x4

New member saying hi and some questions please. Sorry for the long post. Please read

Hello. May name is Mark and I hail from the mountains of NE Nevada at 6500 feet and great to be here on this board! I am a 45 year old disabled (sucks big time) man who owns a 1970 GMC shortbed 4x4 that I purchased two years ago from the original owner. I had been looking for a 67-72 GMC "shortbed" 4x4 for a few years but all I could find were rust buckets that were not worth the investment for a frame off restro that at last next spring I am planning to begin. I paid $1800.00 for it on the spot because it was in about 80% condition, minimal rust issues, 70,000 original miles, not lifted or messed with in any way and it even had the original factory option sticker on the inside of the glove box. My question to all of the members here are the following; First the rust issues, I know the many companies that offer every single body part and nut and bolt but what I would reall apreciate is, if anyone knows, who sell the very best replacement parts that I will require for the frame off as no bondo will be used. The following areas are the only areas that have rust and must be fully replaced. Both doors, as expected, have lower rott and I will be replacing, the rockers are again as expected area rusted and will be replaced, two of the cab supports have a small amount of rust but all four will be replaced, on the drivers side, the first rear outside quarter has some suface rust and so the the rear panel and both the panel behind the rear wheel will be re-placed and there is only one more area that will need to be replaced and that is a 1x4 inch strip on the drivers side floor panel that is rusted and I will be replacing the entire floor anyway instead of just the one that has some rott. That's all the rust that this 70 GMC shortbed has. The frame is spotless, the bed is spotless, the front fenders and the hood is spotless and the tailgate is also rust free. Sorry for the long post and I won't do it in the future as I hate reading long e-mails and at times I can't feel my hands so it can get a little frustrating at times. The interior is mint and has every factory gauge (that all work) that was offered at the time. I beleive that the 1970 is the first year of the high torque 5.7 with 300 ft lbs, 255 hp for the Chevy/GMC truck line, the Rochester 4bbl carb, factory and working air, 3.73s front and back, one thing I did not want was the 350 tranney but I had to jump on this sale because as soon as he put in the shopping center in our very rural and small (population <2800) town and I was not the first person looking at it so the check was written after a quick once over and I bought it for $1800.00. It has the all gear NP-205 transfer case, the original "Rams Horn" exhaust manifolds which I feel beat hands down most after market headers and if they used them on some Vettes during certain years then they must be offer great flow, true Posi in the rear and true Limited slip in the front. All noted on the factory option sticker and I even pulled the diffs coversto confirm this. It does not burn or leak any oil and that's about it. If any would be kind enough to link me to a parts outlet that truly sells the best aftermarket or OEM parts I would be greatful. I heard that there is a outlet from Chevy that offers OEM parts but after 100s of searches I can't locate it. After a very long search I finally located a bodyshop, 500 miles away from my land that is qualified to do a quality frame off restro on this truck. He owns his own building and does all of the work. He showed me two examples of what he was currently doing two frame offs on, a 69 RS Camero and a 57 Chevy Belair convertable that was a factory continentle (sp?) model. He also showed me what can happen when parts such as in the RS case were the fenders. Both of the fenders that were supposed to be new and correct arrived with first, at the head light area where there are points and curves, well these two fenders both had deep ripples and both fenders had very deep scratches all over them and the body man/owner told me that it will now cost more than what the man paid for the fenders for him to repair the so called new fenders. After he knew what I was bringing to him he told me that if I was going to order the doors on my own to make sure who I bought them from because many doors are showing up as new do not align correctly and mainly in the area above where the vent window meets the cab frame. Instead of being at the correct angles they are arriving round making them useless.
That's about all and again sorry for the long post but I would be very grateful is anyone could supply me with a link or name of a parts compay that sells quality 67-72 replacemnet parts. I know that this frame off will run well over $15,000 or maybe more and take over one year but I have been saving my butt off and selling everything that my wife and I have no use for and by next spring I will be ready. The body man told me that if I choose to let him buy the needed parts he will charge 25% more for having to order them. Business is business and after seeing his work and looking at his photo examples I feel that he will be the one.
Take care and PM me if you wish but any help will be very much appreciated. I hope that members will take the time to read this very loooog post to see what I am looking for. This 1970 shortbed 4x4 will remain 100% stock and will retain it's metalic factory gold color. No lift, no fancy wheels and so on. My wife owns a 98 Jeep Cherokee that has all of the goodies on it such as a Pro-Comp lift, a locker in the rear, a upgraded intake with a K&N on the end and it is what she likes and with the amount of snow we get up here in the mountains and living on land without owning a plow, that locker makes it through what a stock Cherokee just could not make it through. It will remain stock when it comes to the 70 GMC.
Mark from Nevada
70 GMC shortbed 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 06:22 PM   #2
krue
Designated A-hole!

Re: New member saying hi and some questions please. Sorry for the long post. Please read

Welcome to the board Mark, you're lucky I like to read. I would love to see some pics of your truck being partial to 70 GMC's myself. As far as parts go, the vendors that support this board are top notch. If you post your questions on the main board you will get a lot of responses, but I would suggest spacing them out to get the best response. Our FAQ board has some good threads on stuff like posting pics and etc.http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ad.php?t=58386 There is also a good one on picking and paying a body shop. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=124745

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 07:03 PM   #3
SLIMJIM

Re: New member saying hi and some questions please. Sorry for the long post. Please read

Welcome Mark.

I am also a GMC fan and would love to see some pics as well.

Curt
Old 10-30-2005, 07:06 PM   #4
97silv5.7
MooMoo

welcome to the board!
Support the Board! Or deal with me foo!
Its all fun and games till you find out shes 16.
97silv5.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 08:00 PM   #5
rollinlow

welcome from tenn
rollinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 08:42 PM   #6
BillGent
Pretty But Evil Doggy Woggy.

Welcome from Texas!
BillGent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 10:46 PM   #7
smirch9

Welcome from Oklahoma!

Have you subscribed? Click here.

Order your site t-shirts and apparel here!
smirch9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 12:05 AM   #8
djracer

Welcome from Alabama! You will find that original parts and NOS parts are the best but their are some quality aftermarket parts out there also! We have some great vendors here on the board. I have had personal dealings with Tim Christian of Christians Classics and he is a stand up guy who will be very honest and straight forward with you. You may find a board vendor closer to you!

Kevin

Special Thanks to All who have helped on the TRUCK!

My Pass Time Show http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...Chapter1-0.mp4

So Far my best Times are:

Motor only:
6.44 1/8 @ 104.13
10.39 1/4 @ 125.83

Nitrous Times:
5.785 1/8 @ 118.65 with a 1.336 60ft
9.168 1/4 @ 142.58 with a 250 shot dead out of the hole!
djracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 12:34 AM   #9
pjmoreland

Sounds like you've got a fun project there! As far as reproduction sheetmetal parts are concerned, Triplus is the best manufacturer in my opinion, and can be purchased from www.gmcpauls.com. Based on what I've heard on this board, the reproduction doors don't fit very well. Depending on the amount of rust your doors have, you might be better off just replacing the lower outer skins.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 03:39 AM   #10
hobbz

welcome to the board

1987 Short Step 350/350
hobbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 04:32 AM   #11
Jebb1978

From Phx, Az. Good Luck with your truck, sounds like a great start!
Jebb1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 09:34 AM   #12
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Welcome from the south end of Mississippi.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 09:35 PM   #13
phantom dually
Project92 SWB stepside

I didnt read your post but welcome to the board!!
92 C1500 stepside 496 Stroker Competiton Engineering Ladder bars/QA1 coilovers. Dana 60 rear with 4.10 gear and posi. Bonspeed Palisade 20x12 in rear w/335/30/20 and 20x8.5 front w/245/40/20. 5/8 drop with Belltech springs/DJM spindles/drop shocks. WWS Progress thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=140448
phantom dually is offline   Reply With Quote