The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-11-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Aluminum flywheel behind a 496 in SWB.

I am so happy to say that I am now NOT rebuilding my 454 but rather building a 496. My crank is a forged OHIO crankshaft that is internally balanced. Due to a purchasing error, my buddy has a brand new Hayes aluminum internal flywheel for a 454. Seems like I'm seeing though that those are more for racing applications and light cars. Our trucks are not light. Am I better off with the stock type flywheel and why? Thanks!
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Re: Aluminum flywheel behind a 496 in SWB.

I guess I'll just leave this post up to help other people. Just called Hayes and they said steel for the street. In a heavy rig, or street applications, the heavier flywheel really helps the vehicle to move. You need more RPMs with an aluminum flywheel to get it moving. Steel is easier on the clutch.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:28 AM   #3
dznucks

That was the conclusion i came to when i was building my motor. My flywheel came from American Powertrain and they said the same thing. But i also had them lighten my steel flywheel.

On the other hand, Fidanza told me that the benifits of an aluminum flywheel out weight a steel flywheel on a high reving engine regardless of street/strip application. In order to avoid a stumble off the line you would have to rev above 2000 rpm before engaging the clutch. I feel like you'ld be burning up clutches ever year on a street truck especially in stop and go traffic.
dznucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

The facts are that this 496 will have sick torque. She won't spin past 5,500 either. Not going to feel that added weight one bit. Since it will be a full roller valvetrain, she is going to spin up pretty quick anyway (as far as a 496 goes). I can't wait to get started!
Old 10-12-2012, 12:15 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I think you need to start a build thread for this 496 you will be building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
The facts are that this 496 will have sick torque. She won't spin past 5,500 either. Not going to feel that added weight one bit. Since it will be a full roller valvetrain, she is going to spin up pretty quick anyway (as far as a 496 goes). I can't wait to get started!
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:42 AM   #6
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

A light weight fly wheel, belongs in something that is either all in, or all out....on the street, there is no point? On a heavy truck , that does street time,? I would run a steel billet wheel. I shoot for a 28-30 lb pc on my sb....BB, big power, I still would go steel billet, but you may think a tad lighter on that long stroke monster. Just my thoughts....take em for what they are worthHave fun, & show us how she goes! crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:48 AM   #7
mongoose

i have a 15 lb flywheel in my swb.. with a small block, it's uh.. interesting lol if i had better gears it wouldn;t be as bad.. but with 3.08's.. yeah.. never rad to rev small block to get it to move lol.
mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
I think you need to start a build thread for this 496 you will be building.
I will probably just add it to my dismal build thread in my signature. I still need to get all the pics back up that disappeared when I moved all my folders around in my photobucket account.

What should be interesting is that I will be doing it will 781 heads. I have been doing a lot of research and am seeing some pretty exciting things with 781 headed 496's. Some guys are doing it will 2.19 valves and some with 2.25's. The heads will have quite a bit of work done to them but it's nice to be starting out with something that you already own. Even good IRON Melin/Dart heads are $1,700! She'll have a full roller valvetrain and should be a lot of fun. I pick up my 4340 forged 4.250" crank this morning. I'll keep you posted!!
Old 10-12-2012, 11:05 PM   #9
cableguy0

The heavier flywheel will help the engine maintain rpm. Though it might rev quicker with the light flywheel,the heavy flywheel will make it spin harder. Definately skip the aluminum flywheel on the street engine.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote