The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2008, 12:53 AM   #76
kyull67

Re: '67 Short Step #2

I took advantage of some bad weather and stayed home to tear out the rocker panels and remove the fenders. The inner rockers turned out to be in alot better shape than I thought they would. Here's some more pics.
Attached Images

kyull67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:27 AM   #77
smbrouss70

Man you lucked out on those inner rockers. Floors look good too, or is that an illusion?

Forgive me if this has been mentioned somewhere, but I've looked for your tire size and can't find it anywhere in your thread.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:25 PM   #78
kyull67

Here's the drivers side. Tires are 235/55/R17 on 17x8 wheels.
The floors are pretty solid, I'll only need to make a few patch panels there.
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2008, 10:17 PM   #79
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Thumbs up Re: '67 Short Step #2

THAT IS LOOKING GOOD !!!!!!!!!
and I would like to say also that I like your method of building the truck , that is the only way to build an older vehicle , what I am refering to is how that you are removing all the old paint and gunk !!!!
lot's of guy's try to just paint and primer over all the old stuff , but I found out a long time ago it's better to go to the metal then build it back up , if you use any type of good quality primer over your bare metal it make's a lot better job later , good loking work and also from the pic's that is good truck to work with ,,,, can't wait till you get it done ,,, Brad
19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:18 PM   #80
kyull67

Thanks Brad!
I hope to have it finished in about 3 months, so I've got some work to do. I've already accomplished in seven months what it took me two years to do the first time!
Old 03-02-2008, 06:56 AM   #81
kyull67

I had a few hours to work on the truck today.
Check out my hidden CD player. The CD player folds down and out when ejecting and will open the radio delete plate door on its own with the touch of the remote. I would show you but I don't want to bother with taking it back out before paint. Then I cut out the rusty passenger side kickpanel and made some patches. It doesn't look good but they will be covered in speakers and upholstery anyway.
Attached Images

Last edited by kyull67; 03-02-2008 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:11 AM   #82
Frizzle Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyull67 View Post
The CD player folds down and out when ejecting and will open the radio delete plate door on its own with the touch of the remote.
That kicks A$$
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:32 AM   #83
kyull67

Thanks! I'm hoping to surprise some people when they ask where I keep my CD player.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:37 AM   #84
ChaseDale3and8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
That kicks A$$
Man I have to totally agree! It will look like you don't have anything for a sound system when it's really hidden behind the radio delete! VERY SLICK!!! ...Joe
Old 03-02-2008, 09:44 AM   #85
BurnoutNova

agreed, that the best place ive seen a rodio hidden yet... right where its supposed to be!
BurnoutNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:54 AM   #86
kyull67

This morning I finished replacing the rusted out passenger side kick panel and then repaired the innner rocker. The divers side isn't nearly as bad and should only take maybe an hour to fix and then I'll be putting in new rockers.
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2008, 03:38 AM   #87
kyull67

Time for my weekly five picture update. I've finished repairing both driver and passenger side inner rockers, floors, and kick panels. Now I need to order my rockers and cab corners and I should be spreading body filler by the time it gets warm in a couple of weeks. The kick panels kind of look like ass but they will get seam sealer, upholstery, and speakers so I'm not too worried about it. Does anyone have any recommendations for a vendor for my rockers and other parts? I usually use Manes but I don't live close to them anymore.

I can't wait to finish this thing, I go to college at MSU so I've decided to do sober driver once or twice a week with it to keep some of the drunkards off the streets.
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2008, 04:17 AM   #88
ChaseDale3and8

Are you going to coat those rusty areas with some POR 15 before you put your new rockers and replacement panels in? You wouldn't have to worry about rust again and it would be a great time to do it. ...Joe
Old 03-08-2008, 05:01 AM   #89
kyull67

Yeah, I'll definately do something there. I just sprayed on some primer that I had lying around so the bare metal wouldn't start to rust before I could get to it.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:00 AM   #90
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseDale3and8 View Post
Are you going to coat those rusty areas with some POR 15 before you put your new rockers and replacement panels in? You wouldn't have to worry about rust again and it would be a great time to do it. ...Joe
Just a little note. Por15 wont do **** for those areas. The stuff they sell WITH the por15 is actually what turns the rust into another material, THEN after you have treated the metal with their spray on nasty chemical, you clean it with water, yes water, dry it, and coat it with por 15.... If you just slap por15 on there, it wont work...FYI.

Cool build though.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 04:51 AM   #91
ChaseDale3and8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrikz View Post
Just a little note. Por15 wont do **** for those areas. The stuff they sell WITH the por15 is actually what turns the rust into another material, THEN after you have treated the metal with their spray on nasty chemical, you clean it with water, yes water, dry it, and coat it with por 15.... If you just slap por15 on there, it wont work...FYI.

Cool build though.
Well that's a good thing to know for future reference. I had been told that the POR 15 would keep rust from re-forming and coming back once the area had been covered with it. I learn new things on here all the time. And it really is a cool build. Can't wait to see the cab all done and painted to match the bed. It's going to be a really nice looking truck when it's done. ....Joe
Old 03-09-2008, 05:18 AM   #92
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Well that's a good thing to know for future reference. I had been told that the POR 15 would keep rust from re-forming and coming back once the area had been covered with it. I learn new things on here all the time. And it really is a cool build. Can't wait to see the cab all done and painted to match the bed. It's going to be a really nice looking truck when it's done. ....Joe
Ya, they sell this chemical that you spray on the rust for 15 minutes or so, it changes the actual rust into another material.. Clean and then coat with por 15..... If you use it any other way, it is just like putting a lid on something, it will protect it, but wont stop it from continuing to grow underneath.. That make any sense?
Old 03-09-2008, 10:08 AM   #93
ChaseDale3and8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrikz View Post
Ya, they sell this chemical that you spray on the rust for 15 minutes or so, it changes the actual rust into another material.. Clean and then coat with por 15..... If you use it any other way, it is just like putting a lid on something, it will protect it, but wont stop it from continuing to grow underneath.. That make any sense?
Actually that does make sense. I was told and had thought that the POR 15 was supposed to be air and water tight once applied, which in theory would stop rust from reforming and growing, since air and moisture have to be present for rust to grow.

I was told it has to be topcoated because it isn't UV resistant. As far as I had known, UV rays were the only thing that would keep it from doing it's job. I assume that this other chemical must be some sort of acid especially since it has to be rinsed off with water.

Anyway, I have been told that the POR 15 is an awesome product when used according to the directions. That's why I asked if he was going to use it on this truck. He's doing a lot of work to make it really nice, and as much surface rust as it has I sure don't want to see him have any problems come back later since it's going to be such a sweet ride when he's done.

I have bought some POR 15 for my truck, and hadn't heard about this other chemical. I need to do a little bit of research on it and see how it works before I try to use the POR 15 that I have on my truck. Thanks for the heads up on the other chemical. ...Joe
Old 03-09-2008, 09:43 PM   #94
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Actually that does make sense. I was told and had thought that the POR 15 was supposed to be air and water tight once applied, which in theory would stop rust from reforming and growing, since air and moisture have to be present for rust to grow.

I was told it has to be topcoated because it isn't UV resistant. As far as I had known, UV rays were the only thing that would keep it from doing it's job. I assume that this other chemical must be some sort of acid especially since it has to be rinsed off with water.

Anyway, I have been told that the POR 15 is an awesome product when used according to the directions. That's why I asked if he was going to use it on this truck. He's doing a lot of work to make it really nice, and as much surface rust as it has I sure don't want to see him have any problems come back later since it's going to be such a sweet ride when he's done.

I have bought some POR 15 for my truck, and hadn't heard about this other chemical. I need to do a little bit of research on it and see how it works before I try to use the POR 15 that I have on my truck. Thanks for the heads up on the other chemical. ...Joe

THey have 3 steps, check their site.
Step 1 = Marine clean.. Its basically a degreaser to get oil and junk off.
Step 2 = Metal ready.. Thats what changes the composition of the rust.
Step 3 = Por 15.

I like it so far, i just dont like the part of spraying it with water. Most people have their truck apart in their garage.. Not like they can move it outside to wash parts of their bare metal down with water ya know.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:30 AM   #95
kyull67

I've been putting alot of time into this thing lately so I can get it done by May. Over the last few days I've removed the windshield, repaired the rotten dash, and I started fixing the rust in the top corner of the roof. Pictures explain better, so I'll let them do the talking.
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2008, 06:34 AM   #96
kyull67

Here's the rest for now. I've still got some grinding to do on the welds.
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2008, 08:03 AM   #97
Richard8971
Still livin the "dream" in '54

Nice patch work. My drip rails were rusted so badly that I had to remove them completely. I am glad I didn't have rust on my dash top like you have. Not fun to fix, but it will be worth it in the end. Can't wait to see more progress pics!

Don

My '67 stepper "Tangerine Dream"

"Anything worth doing is worth doing right" James Dean

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo
Richard8971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:13 AM   #98
my67chevytruck
Under Construction

truck is coming along great.. I would use rust Bullet (its one step, compared to POR 15's 3-step) or you could go to a automotive paint stop and buy a bottle of "rust Killer" , a spray bottle of a special chemical that coats, stops, oxidizes, and seals the rust allowing you to primer or paint over it. I ordered my bottle and will pick it up Saturday.

subscribe to the board here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157669
FAQ how to's

1956 Chevy Apache
1967 C10 SWB FleetSide (under construction)
1969 K10 SWB FleetSide (Future Build)
1972 C10 SWB Stepside (Future Build)

56 chevy truck :
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2955823/1

67 truck build:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=281357/1

69 k10:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=389470
my67chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:15 PM   #99
kyull67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard8971 View Post
Nice patch work. My drip rails were rusted so badly that I had to remove them completely. I am glad I didn't have rust on my dash top like you have. Not fun to fix, but it will be worth it in the end. Can't wait to see more progress pics!

Don
Thanks. I should be spreading filler by next week and hopefully have it primed soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my67chevytruck View Post
truck is coming along great.. I would use rust Bullet (its one step, compared to POR 15's 3-step) or you could go to a automotive paint stop and buy a bottle of "rust Killer" , a spray bottle of a special chemical that coats, stops, oxidizes, and seals the rust allowing you to primer or paint over it. I ordered my bottle and will pick it up Saturday.
Thanks for the info, I'll have to check on that stuff.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:30 PM   #100
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

Looks good . I'm working on the same spots on my truck .
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote