The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Our Stuff... In Scale

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
dave2953
Dave's not here, man

Advice on selling...

I've had the die-cast trucks in my signature up for sale for a bit, but I can't seem to move them. Am I way off on the prices? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
dave2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Advice on selling...

They may be a bit high,especially for this website because,although we all like trucks,there's not a wide appreciation for collecting toys. It seems people only want to buy anything these days if it's less than it's really worth,too...Sad but true. I sell stuff out of need for cash at flea markets and swap meets and it seems people just come to beat you up. I find myself letting things go for less than it's worth just to walk away with a sum to make it worth my while. Also,I don't think very many people even look at that area of the board,to be honest.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:42 AM   #3
cable666guy

The prices do seem a little on the high side...just my opinion. Also like Special-K said, this is a lightly traveled section of the board. Don't feel bad, though...I collected Nascar stuff back in the 90s, thinking I would make a killing later. The company that produced most of it turned around and re-issued all of the popular stuff a few years later, and saturated the market. I bet I couldn't even break even now.
cable666guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
special-K
Special Order

I have hundreds of diecast truck banks that were hot 20 or so years ago. I look on Ebay and wonder why people even list them. Page after page of no bids and "Buy It Nows" at under what they cost new. I don't get it. Ok,the rage died off and prices didn't soar. But hey,now they are 20+ year old collectible replicas that look really neat and don't cost very much money. Do we only like things when everyone else does and only if they are an investment? I thought they could end up making me money.but I ought them because I liked them and I still do. They only reason I'd get rid of any is because my wife ruined our finances,left me with my son and a tripled mortgage pmnt,and the bottom dropped out of home construction for over five years now. Heck,20 years ago if you had a mass-produced toy from 20 years earlier still mint in the box you could sell it for 5x what it was new. Now,you can't sell these for half and it seems like not at all

Anyway,good luck. I hate to say it but you have to about give things away to get rid of it anymore.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #5
lowdownstar
big guy

some times it's hard to say why things don't sell, and you guys know how the market goes. One week it's up the next record low, i think it's the same with everything. I only buy die cast knowing i'll never sell or try to make money with them, if someday after i'm gone my kids don't keep them, i hope they get something for them, but like i told them, don't bank on it! I think it's the same with our trucks don't buy one to make money with it buy one to enjoy and have fun with. Keep your diecast and enjoy them, they are not worth selling. Just my 2cents

good luck either way

Ray
lowdownstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
Hook'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdownstar View Post
some times it's hard to say why things don't sell, and you guys know how the market goes. One week it's up the next record low, i think it's the same with everything. I only buy die cast knowing i'll never sell or try to make money with them, if someday after i'm gone my kids don't keep them, i hope they get something for them, but like i told them, don't bank on it! I think it's the same with our trucks don't buy one to make money with it buy one to enjoy and have fun with. Keep your diecast and enjoy them, they are not worth selling. Just my 2cents

good luck either way

Ray
I agree. I bought duplicates (or triplicates) of many of our trucks and blazers thinking I really needed one to open and one to keep in the package. I have since decided to use display cases for the open diecasts. Now I have many duplicates in packages which I really don't need or want, but for me it is too much hassle to try to sell them. I'll trade them if I can and I have contacted board members who are looking for certain ones, but I don't see making a concerted effort to try to sell them.

Robert (90/87 Formula) has done pretty well at selling diecasts on in the classifieds, but he sells them at very reasonable prices including shipping.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #7
lowdownstar
big guy

Myself i wish i had the time to buy and sell but i don't, plus you really have to get to know what people are buying and that makes it feel like work!

it's funny you say that because i did the same and picked up duplicates and open one and kept the other in the package.

Dave2953 have you tryed other places to sell them? I think your prices mite be a tad bit high but to the right person your only talking $10.00 it's not like your asking a ton of money. Like other have said this market is tough right now.

Ray
Old 01-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #8
90\87Formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em View Post
Robert (90/87 Formula) has done pretty well at selling diecasts on in the classifieds, but he sells them at very reasonable prices including shipping.
You should see the stockpile I have now. I still go overboard on the buying, when it should just be one to open and one packaged.

dave2953. I like to see prices that don't include shipping charges; but that's just me. There is one that is over-priced; again; that's just me. If I didn't already have multiples of all of them, I'd buy.
I think the biggest problem is because we can't put them in the 67-72 parts area any more.

Last edited by 90\87Formula; 01-17-2012 at 05:43 PM.
90\87Formula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #9
lowdownstar
big guy

Mr diecast can we see this stockpile? I love diecast i think it's because they don't cost a ton and i can have as many as i like.
lol

Ray
Old 01-18-2012, 02:22 PM   #10
90\87Formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdownstar View Post
Mr diecast can we see this stockpile? I love diecast i think it's because they don't cost a ton and i can have as many as i like.
lol

Ray
LOL. Sorry for hijacking your post. I won't hijack it any more. I'll start a thread with my collection and try to get it up today.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #11
lowdownstar
big guy

Me too sorry